Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kinda curious "why" you bought a Vulcan? In my case, I didnt know anything one way or hte other. I was just looking for a bike I could afford and learn on. The Vulcan came avaliable, so here I am.
What about you?
Why a Vulcan?
DW

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Mine was on eBay as a salvage bike, I dared my wife to bid on it, she did, she won the auction, and here I am 20k miles later.

DT

·
Registered
802 Posts
Timing was just right I guess. Convinced the wife, again, that a bike would be a good investment to keep our gas prices down.

Just happened to look on Craigslist and saw mine for under the NADA price, and was less than I was looking to spend.

Happy it all worked out like it did.

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Best "fit" out of dozens of bikes.
Reputation as "bullet-proof".
Low maintenance (shaft drive, hyd valve adj, water-cooled)
Cruiser "look" that I liked.
Full gauge set - speedo, tach, GAS GAUGE!, idiot lights, positive neutral
750cc - not too small to get bored with, not too much for a newbie to handle
Affordable for first bike - money left over to tweak/customize
Proven design - 20 year manufacturing run = must be pretty good
500lbs allows potential save if dropped/tipped
Very happy with it so far and just getting started!

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
In a small series of bad decisions on my part, I went from 3 bikes, to NO bikes in a just a couple months, so the race was on to buy something with the cash I had in pocket. The Vulcan matched my price, and I wanted to try a cruiser for a while. I owed my wife a bike, and she loves Vulcan's and she went nuts over the paint job, so this one bike patched several little holes. It's actually her's, I just ride the snot out of it, while I look for another for me.

It'll be a fine dam bike by the time she gets on it, as it gets the bugs fixed as soon as they pop up, and I have no other bike to give my attention or money to right now.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Kinda like others, the right looking, priced, and available bike I found when I started looking.
It was about the 5th bike I looked at. Looked more like what I was wanting, good price and not too big or too small. And, all the stock features totally out did anything else I was looking at.
It wasn't until after I got it that I found out how much faster it is than most all of the other bikes in it's class, as well as bigger ones.

Since then, I've been completely happy with getting it.

So, the question should be....... "Why NOT a Vulcan?"
I can't think of any reason!!!!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I was drooling over the Vulcans back in '88. Just loved the looks and low maintance issues that it provided. I couldnt justify purchasing another bike till this year (kept the ones I had in top shape) when I was skimming through Craigs List and saw the one I'm on now for $800.00. The PO was honest with me and told me about a charging problem it had so after a stator and r/r replacement shes a great runner now.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I was drooling over the Vulcans back in '88. Just loved the looks and low maintance issues that it provided. I couldnt justify purchasing another bike till this year (kept the ones I had in top shape) when I was skimming through Craigs List and saw the one I'm on now for $800.00. The PO was honest with me and told me about a charging problem it had so after a stator and r/r replacement shes a great runner now.

Wow! You had a PO that was honest up front about a problem? I'm just sitting here with my jaw hangin' open now...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
That goes for me too on my first Vulcan an 03, then the 06 because I still liked the Vulcan...

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Wow! You had a PO that was honest up front about a problem? I'm just sitting here with my jaw hangin' open now...
Yup he was a gem, maybe thats the reason I paid his asking price. I never pay asking price for for anything off C.L. I also purchased my boat off C.L. the guy tried to up talk it but I made it clear that I knew more about boats than he did so his asking price went from 1400 to my cutting him a check for 700.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yup, x2

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I actually found this site when I was doing some research, comparing other bikes features and such, and of course the members and info here helped convince me that I wanted this bike. Then I went and sat on a lot of bikes, got to test ride a couple, nearly bought an 04 but someone beat me to it, and found this 02 on craigslist.
Front dual disk brakes, along with everything else said above. No other bike in this class, including many larger and more expensive bikes, have all these features standard on them.

·
former lurker
159 Posts
+1
exactly what fergy said.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I was in the market looking at Shadows (hanging my head in shame now) when I came across mine at a "bargain lot". That's when I remembered a friend's that I repainted (and am still looking for) and how nice it was to ride the one time he let me. And it was much more affordable than those other ones I was looking at. It's also rare enough around here that I don't "blend in" so I'm keeping it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Started drooling over the VN750 back in 87 when I was on a 440LTD. When I decided to get another bike recently, I decided what I wanted to spend and stumbled on my 95 at a Kawi dealer at the price I wanted. Known since 87 that it was the bike for me, and I was definately right.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Contrary to it's nickname (BABY BUBF) I think this bike is a looker. Has the LTD styling with a v-twin. Great lines from the side view especially. No one has ever told me my bike was ugly. I get nothing but compliments on her looks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Because all of the Klingons were taken! :p

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
my sister moved up to a bmw 1000 and let me do a couple payments on mine. after a lot of reading up on them first, 5000 this summer already which saved me at least 500 in gas already. I'm not complaining, it almost paid for itself already. love the looks of the bike and it gets quite a bit of attention being it is an 86 and is very good to almost excellent condition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Okay.... kidding aside. I couldn't resist throwing that last comment in.

I was looking for a good "first" bike. I had never ridden before, and was looking for a bike that was powerful enough to haul me, but not so large and heavy as to be difficult to learn. As we all know a lighter bike is more forgiving and easier to recover when you make a mistake. It is a lot harder to 'manhandle' an 1800cc bike when small errors occur. So, I narrowed down to a series of medium size cruisers (the Vulcan, the V-star 650, and the shadow)

I picked the VN750 because it looked sharp and was in my price range. Then as I researched, I noted that the Vulcan is shaft driven and water cooled giving it a distinct advantage over the other bikes. The v-stars looked nice and they were a strong contender, but in the end, I decided the engine was just too small. One really has to get into the throttle to keep them at highway speeds. Interstates, in my opinion would be down right stupid on that bike.

So, after weeks of researching and shopping, I found my bike and knew as soon as I looked at it.... she was going home with me. I took my mechanic/engineer friend who tested it and checked it out. He said it was clean, appeared to have been well cared for, all the maintenance records were present and it had low miles..... could you ask for a better deal? She came home with me that day and I have never regretted the decision one bit.

:beerchug::motorcycl

1 - 20 of 41 Posts