Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The girl we ride with went down on some gravel piled up in an intersection on one of our rides. She only slid about 10 feet face down but her full face helmet was deeply scraped up from the chin up to about halfway up her shield. She had just changed into her leathers about 5 miles back after we went through some rain and she got cold. She had a few bruises but that was it. She might have been going 25 mph when she went down...but that's probably on the high side. I wear one too. It's all I have.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I used to be pro 3/4 helmet until my wife talked me into a full. Now I am very glad she did. I feel that much safer now when I ride, especially when I think about running my face along some asphalt in the 3/4 helmet.

Jon

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I agree with AJC. I wear a FF and I wish everyone would, but to each their own. Being in a no helmet law state (KY) there are many out there who don't wear one at all. I just wouldn't feel comfortable without having my lid on. Besides, with my full-face helmet and smoked lens on, I still look cool and nobody can tell how freaked out this newbie is!

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
That 3-D picture of the guy's skull is enough to make a FF believer out of anyone with a basic knowledge of the human skeleton. There are three major fractures of the lower jaw alone. His upper teeth are gone and there are so many fractures of the smaller facial bones I quit counting after 10. He doesn't feel good, and he's not gonna look good for quite a while; maybe never. FF probably would have prevented most, if not all the damage he's got.

Thanks for posting.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
The shots of that skull, among other things I've seen and read about, remind me that my decision to go FF was the correct one. I hope I never have a chance to test it out.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I actually have both a 1/2 and FF. I have tried riding with my FF on during 80 degree days and it is too hot. I usually wear it if 1. I am going on the highway or 2. after 5 PM as it starts to cool down. I'd say I wear the FF about 78% of the time. I've actually seen a few pictures of riders that have gone down without or with less than FF on rotten.com and I hope to god it never happens to me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
all i know is face vs. pavement????? im pretty sure that the face wont win that one....

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I actually have both a 1/2 and FF. I have tried riding with my FF on during 80 degree days and it is too hot. I usually wear it if 1. I am going on the highway or 2. after 5 PM as it starts to cool down. I'd say I wear the FF about 78% of the time. I've actually seen a few pictures of riders that have gone down without or with less than FF on rotten.com and I hope to god it never happens to me.
That depends on the ff helmet. My SHoei RF-1000 breathes very well but is an expensive helmet. It's one of the things you pay for in that model.

Here in Florida, 80+ is 8 - 9 months a year.

Jon

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Staying Alive

I've never returned to my 3/4 helmet since Ben Roethlisberger (QB in Pittsburgh) took a header without a helmet. And, compared to the guy in the scan provided by AJCruzin, Big Ben got off very easy.

Today I was riding to work on a 4-lane, in the passing lane, cruising at highway speed with the flow of traffic. Some jerk in a Jeep, coming up behind me in the right-hand lane, suddenly cut in front of me so sharply I had to brake and swerve slightly to avoid a collision (while laying on my wimpy horn). He barely squeezed in between me and the car in front of me. He wasn't going anywhere any faster. And, unless he was blind or talking to his girlfriend in the passenger seat, he had to have seen me. (I was wearing a white helmet and a bright yellow armored-mesh jacket).

Not that it would have helped, but I think I need to invest in a Stebel Nautilus horn. I need every card in the deck to stay alive out there.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Where I'm at, it's 80 and above with high humidity from about 8 am to 9pm. I bought an M2R FF (less than $60) and always wear it, so I don't have anything less to compare it to. Never thought it was too hot although cooler would be nice. So would 70 degree temps and 14% humidity, but it ain't gonna happen. Helmet has vents that really help.

Remember Murphy's law when you're deciding which one to wear!

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
/begin rant/ The only person I've ever given serious crap to about gear was my buddy StevenJ. He used to ride in plain jeans and a beater tank top. Thank god he already wore a full face. I won him over to full gear, and sure enough, a couple months later he took his flight, which I posted here. Ironically, his helmet NEVER HIT THE GROUND! But the rest of him did. And had he not been wearing full gear, he woulda been in a bad place. In my crash 2 months ago., my helmet smacked the ground hard on the left rear, right about where the end of a 1/2 helmet woulda been. And when I rolled over and my arms stopped working, I did a face plant, right where a 1/2 or 3/4 would have been open. Even in the summer I roll FF. If it's *that* hot, I just skip riding or head for the coast.

As horrible as that image is to see, keep in mind that someone out there calls this person "friend" and I would rather not have any of mine, either virtual or in real life, end up that way! /end rant/

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
ok ok! I'm hunting for a couple newer ff helmets. I don't have to wear a helmet at all here but I always wear at least my half helmet.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I will only ever wear a FF helmet. Period.

Even if I ever decide to get a Harley, I won't follow their stupid trend and wear the little skullcap helmets they "tend" to wear.

Reminds me of many years ago when I rode over from TN to SC. I was wearing jeans, boots, leather jacket, gloves, and FF helmet. Pulled up next to a dude, at a traffic light, who was wearing flip flops, bermuda shorts, and sunglasses, riding a Ninja. I just looked over at him and shook my head. Greasy spot waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have had a hard time finding a FF to fit my big ol head and i have looked I ran into a 4xat the Honda shop in Prestonsburg, KY and it actually went on my head.It is a cheaper model a Vega Altura and I bought it on the spot,It is very hard to find decent gear if you are big. I went thru 3 Jackets before I found one that was sized accurately and try to find riding pants above a 42 waist,I have but I am afraid to buy any thing I can't try on.It is a funny thing to me that I wear 44 jeans ,slacks and size 50 bibs and every time I order something using the size charts these people tell you to go by in motorcycle gear catalogs they are about 3 sizes smaller than my other clothes the same size and I know the difference in Euro sizing and American,I can order hunting clothes from Cabelas and they fit,so why don't these clowns that sell and preach ATG -ATT,Size their stuff like the rest of the world of clothing manufacturers,Noow that I have quarreled about that for awhile,I love my new helmet,and my Jacket ExElement,By the way,and if any body sees any Kevlar riding pants with ce armor for us fat people let me know,I'm still looking and getting ready to ride up to the Iron Pony with a buddy to shop for gear in a couple of weeks,look out Ohio a couple more hillbillys are headed your way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 1/2 and FF. When I rode behind the ole fart I wore the 1/2. When I started riding alone I went for the FF just because of the bug factor. I dont think that I will ever go back to the 1/2. Although it does have all my fun 'bitch' stickers on it :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wear my FF until it gets too hot. I sweat from my head like crazy. I'ts not good to have sweat dripping in your eyes. It trashes the inside of the helmet too. I currently have an ICON. It even has a flip-up vent in the top, but It doesn't seem like there is much air moving. I guess I need to shop around and drop the bucks on a really good one I'll actually wear.

Hey Denny, I hear you. Try buying bicycle shorts! You sometimes have to get up to 4X, 5X or 6X just to hit somewhere aroung a 42 or 44 waist. I'm not sure why Motorcycle apparrel doesn't get sized correctly considering how many of us are waistline-challenged. I bought some 3X mesh pants off E-Bay for summer, but I would have to have a 38 waist to wear them. I would like to find a good comfortable leather jacket when it's too chilly for the mesh, but not cold enough for the winter gear. None of them I've tried come close to fitting.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Denny, you hit the nail on the head. I first started thinking seriously about getting a mc, a year or two before I actually bought one. I was looking at some leather gear at a traveling leather sale that set up shop at a local hotel for a week. At the time, most of my shirts were size 2XL. The biggest jacket they had for sale was a 6XL, and I could barely get it on, never mind trying to move in it. I will never buy any article of clothing without trying it on for fit.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Today I was riding to work on a 4-lane, in the passing lane, cruising at highway speed with the flow of traffic. Some jerk in a Jeep, coming up behind me in the right-hand lane, suddenly cut in front of me so sharply I had to brake and swerve slightly to avoid a collision (while laying on my wimpy horn). He barely squeezed in between me and the car in front of me. He wasn't going anywhere any faster. And, unless he was blind or talking to his girlfriend in the passenger seat, he had to have seen me. (I was wearing a white helmet and a bright yellow armored-mesh jacket).

Not that it would have helped, but I think I need to invest in a Stebel Nautilus horn. I need every card in the deck to stay alive out there.
Good investment. At lease you could've scare the dickens out of him after he pulled a stupid stunt like that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts