Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was for sure a ride day today, although there is some weather moving in we had a nice one, low to mid 60s but with a tad of wind... Left out this morning and rode to Lynchburg Tn. on Hwy. 50 then came back via 130 and filled up at the son's store with some good ole non ethanol and home to eat lunch... No rain yet, so I head out on 130 to Shelbyville then back to Lynchburg on 82 and then the back roads to 130 and top off the tank, pick up 5 Mega Bucks tickets and on to Winchester and pick up a bit of wine for the New Year toast (just me and the wife)...lol...
Get home with 135 mi. rode today and top tank off with some non ethanol that I have in the shed for that purpose, so now "BIG Clyde" is winterized again...lol...
So, ---HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL---...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
It only got to 43 here in Jersey today but that was warm enough for me. Met my buddy Jack in Flemington and we headed out for about 2 hours. Out to the Delaware, up route 29 to Milford, and back cross country to Flemington. Great day for a ride.

Mike we couldn't get out yesterday and I know you're in Philly today and tomorrow but we'll get out soon.

RG

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta catch'em when you can this time of the year... Don't matter Ron, a couple of hours is a good enough ride to stir & dry the oil, charge or top off the battery, nothing wrong with that... I can manage 50* but don't want much colder than that, too old I guess...lol...
I just hope we don't have to pay for this too warm day, with severe weather tonight or tomorrow, sometimes we do, like Ark. and Mo., I believe 6 dead...
Would'nt be a good way to start a new year...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Got to a SCORCHING 15 above today here in Denver.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
It's 16 now and my Bro wants to do a new years day ride.

DT

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
I got up yesterday morning and let the dog out. when I opened the door, it was really warm out side. I had some running around I needed to do, so I said what the heck, I think I might take the bike. I checked the weather and it said it was going to be around 49 degrees with a chance of rain later in the day.
so I hurried up and got out the "winter beater" the "Iron Maiden" (Honda CM400T, the Vulcans are put up the winter) and off I went. took a ride to the bank, then rode to Wal-mart for same oil and picked up a box of rounds (for some much needed range time). then rode back home. on the ride home, I pasted a sign that said the temp. was 51!
after I got home, I saw the buddy next door and asked him if he was going to take a ride today. he said hell yes! and asked me if I was going to take a ride? I told him I already did! then he called me a "bitch"-it's an on going joke thing we have between us.
after I changed the oil in the car, I took the wife out shopping (big fun, not!) I left the bike in the drive and by the time we got back it was raining,so the bike got all wet! this may not be a bad thing, I'm sure it helped get some of the road salt off the bike. I just rolled it into the garage and blew it off with the leaf blower.

I heard and saw bikes all day long! how could you not ride? 57 degrees on 12/31 in Cleveland, OH.! you gotta love it!

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought of that. What a great idea.
Ron, the leaf blower drying really works good, I wash mine off on the patio and then blow dry it, then take a warm up run to heat her up & make sure all is dry in the little cracks and crevases...
I think it really helps about the water spots and also helps prevent rust... Besides I'm too lazy to hand dry it...
I think a lot of bike shops even sell one thats a tad smaller than most, but why pay more for less...lol...

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Weather pretty nice here today...unfortunetly , yesterday, not so good. I usually take a "New Years Eve" ride traditionally every year, but yesterdays weather was a bit too much for me deal with.

We had tornados. The church up the road had it's roof ripped off, the strip mall accross from it had some light posts knocked over, a few cars were flipped over and the air conditioner unit on top of the bank was tossed into the road.

A few miles farther east, a business district in the affluent Sunset Hills area was kinda stomped on, power lines and polls down, several houses totaled, a bar that just was rebuilt after a fire got it's windows blown out and its front awning torn off.
Luckily, no serious injuries reported here, although the storm took the life of three people in its run up the state before it reached the Saint Louis area.

There has not been a tornado that has pushed this far towards the city since 1967. Buildings in the North City were damaged. From the damage done it looks as if it was really several different tornados that formed and touched down as the storm passed over the county, rather than a long clear path of just one.
We live on top of a hill about 1 and a 1/2 miles away from where the church got hit. My wife said she saw the top of the funnel cloud as it appearently was doing it's damage at the strip mall and church.

I came to look after she suggested we go down the basement. I could see it was moving away from us, so I told her to let me know if she saw any of the trees around us beging to sway.

So, I had to put off my traditional New Years Eve ride this year because I did not wish to end up in OZ. Today , however, looks good.

KM

·
Registered
84 Posts
It was 5 above this morning here at 6 am with clear skies and it is now 9 am with a temp of 17. I was planning on a ride today as I have every other year, but if it doesn't get much warmer I may not get one in this New Year's Day. I am hoping it gets up to the mid 20s this afternoon so I can get in a 20-30 mile ride. It usually is in the mid to lower 30s here around this time of year so it's bearable, but I'm not so sure about 10 degrees colder. We'll see how it is in a few hours. I'll brave the cold long enough to get a ride in. Got to start the year off right, huh??

Happy New Year to you all!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The roads were dry enough before Christmas that I saw a few bikes out, and 4 guys from a local forum went for a ride Christmas day while it was still above freezing. It has snowed since then and temps were down to -25*C yesterday (~-13*F). Temp right now is -8*C (~17*F, but too much snow and ice for even a diehard biker to make a Polar Bear Ride today! Any motorsport enthusiasts here, will have to settle for a snowmobile today.

I spent much of yesterday enjoying Daniel Meyer`s "Life Is A Road" stories online.
Here is a link to his annual New Years Day, Polar Bear Ride story.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2005/11/19/polarBearRide.html

Happy New Years to all.:smiley_th

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I want nothing to do with is a Polar Bear, but if I do, it will for sure be a run...lol...
I've been to the Artic (DEW Line) and seen all I want to of that place...
If its 50* and I haven't rode in 2-3 weeks I would ride, in otherwords I'm an old softie...lol... I had to work outside in most kinds of weather, but I refuse to play in it...
You young folks can take it, I used to troll for Muskies when it was cold and a blue snow flying, but I can't cut it any more...lol...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yesterday was nice here in North Alabama for a ride. Hit 70 degree at one time. I took a 1 1/2hr. ride on the back roads, it was really nice. Had prior commitments so I didn't get to ride as long as I wanted. Been raining off and on all day here now. Got to get a picture of the bike on here soon. My "Santy Claus done brought them to me" Saddlemen Desperado saddlebags go good with my Saddlemen seat that I got for my birthday. Turnsignal relocators, bag supports, and new Kuryakyn extentions and pegs got lefted under the tree by "HO HO" also.:smiley_th I can sprawl out like a big dog now:rockon:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuck, I looked very hard at those Saddleman Desperado bags, they are nice...
But because the ones I have (Tourmaster zip offs) stick out so far I have ordered the Viking bags with the shock cutouts, which I don't think look as good as the Saddleman Desperadoes but will tuck in to my bike more... I may be able to put some straps on them and make them look a bit better though...
You may not be too far from me, I'm in South Cent. Tn. just above the Ala. line in Winchester...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I live just .8 tenth of a mile off I65 at the 325 exit, South exit for Hartselle Al.
On the bags, they are nice. I brought the turnsignal relocators and bag support combo from Accesseries4bikes.com. They hold the bags out even with the shocks so the bags can pass over the out side off the shock. The 17 1/2 inch lenght fit good but the 10 1/2 height could have been 12 inch and been about right. I got the rigid mount bags. They bolt up alittle higher but it still looks good. Can have nuts welded to the supports and could lower them.

Saddlemen make the Desperado bag with the shock cut away which would allow them to be closer to the rear tire. They are nice bags but I was afraid they wouldn't work good. They would have been perfect size but wouldn't have opened well cause the turnsignals would have still been about 2 inches short of being out of the way even with the relocators.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yep, I know where Hartselle is, I did a 161kv substation down below you in Falkville, also have a friend west of you in Moulton...
I liked the shape of the Desperadoes but not the shape of the Teardrop cutouts, and they were smaller than I wanted... The bags I have are 16"x 10"x 6" and as you said they could be a couple of inches lower, say 12-13" and mine could be longer by a bit also... The Vikings I have ordered are 19.5"x 13"x 7.5" with the shock cutouts...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I graduated from Falkville. You were 4 mile from my house. On the Vikings, I looked at those bags online for 2 months before ordering the others. Nice bags for sure. Should be a perfect fit. Just wanted to match my seat with the chrome studs. Ofcourse the Viking Spear have the studs which are the ones I looked at. Also my bike has no name emblems from where I had it painted. Want to get some chrome Kawasaki word emblems for the tank. Have you seen a Vulcan with thoughs added? Wondering on a good size.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the Viking Spears are the ones on order... On the emblems, the only ones I know of are the stock ones like both my bikes had, the winged or flying Vee, and the side plates with the "Vulcan" and 750 under it...

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Had a great ride on the 31st.

(Pic by BorderlandBiker (Derrel) of southbayriders.com)

Here's to a better 2011!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts