Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.I was just wanting to see who on here has the most miles on there Vulcan 7xx or a Vulcan 7xx that they have owned. I'm just wanting to see how long these engines and transmissions/clutches will hold up for.....just curious! If you have rebuilt the engine....at what mileage was it rebuilt and why....and how many miles on the bike now total. i think alot of us on here would like to know this info. Thank You (Bret Holland)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Wish I knew... my 85 VN700's speedo is broken and the miles stuck at over 25K, but no idea at all how many miles are really on it. Doubt it's ever been rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I know there is more than me, but I have just a smidgeon under 50,000 miles on my '93. Bike still runs great and the only thing I've had to do to the engine was install the MCCT's at around 40,000 miles and replace the Stator and R/R at around 28,000 miles. I would probably have more miles if I didn't ride my Sportster so much..............

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
This post is a little off topic and not related specifically to the Vulcan.

A while back I read an article about the small capacity motorcycles that many people rely on for daily transportation in crowded warm weather countries. The author said many or most bikes in the 100-200 cc class regularly last for 100K miles with nothing more than regular service and maintenance. I think because the bikes are ridden every day, and don`t sit in winter storage for months at a time that this is possible.

In North America most people consider a motorcycle a recreational vehicle, not "transportation". I also read somewhere that 2,000 miles is the yearly average travelled per registered bike. I know many folks here are daily riders, and accumulate tens of thousands of miles each year commuting to work or riding for pleasure, but that is not the norm. I think many more motorcycles on this continent rust out or die of neglect than actually wear out.

Getting back on topic now, how many miles the vn7xx can go without major engine work is an interesting question Bret.

I believe when vn750/Jerry was active on this board that he said between the two vn750s he had owned over the years, he had accumulated about 175K miles with only regular maintenance.

Edit: name should be VN750Rider/Jerry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The most miles without a rebuild? I certainly can't answer that one. I can tell you that the Vulcan is a very well designed and manufactured machine. Other than that, all I can offer is the information contained in my signature. I think that pretty well sums it up for MY bike.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Not me, since I have had to replace my stator and had the clutch rebuilt in the 7 years that I've had mine. Aside from that, still running strong.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
what happened to jerry?
stator at 23,500 and 41000 now. though the stator is a major pain in the butt, I would not consider that a rebuild even though it felt like it. still running strong and looking pretty!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
One long ride away from 60,000.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Jerry bought a Harley cruiser. A 1997 Road King with a carbed Evolution engine.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16363
By the way, Jerry just bought his VN750 back from the guy he sold it to. He's still very happy with his Harley, but the guy called him and offered it back to him for about half what he sold it for and had only put 500 or so miles on it so Jerry grabbed it. I'm sure we'll hear from him again eventually! :smiley_th

·
Banned
431 Posts
By the way, Jerry just bought his VN750 back from the guy he sold it to. He's still very happy with his Harley, but the guy called him and offered it back to him for about half what he sold it for and had only put 500 or so miles on it so Jerry grabbed it. I'm sure we'll hear from him again eventually! :smiley_th

That's awesome!... Wish I could find a buyer like that :smiley_th

·
Registered
748 Posts
The most known miles without a rebuild that I'm aware of was Billy Greer, Austin, TX., with 127K+ at last report. He bought his '95 new when he retired, had a local shop pull a complete maintence on it every March, including new tires, and would ride around the country until October/November. Had the odometer replaced at a dealer near the factory when it broke just before he passed thru Lincoln at ~72K, and the stator replaced at ~76K, and he rode it to Washington state and gave it to his son-in-law with ~107K on it. That was in the fall of '07, I _think_. By March the following year the son-in-law had another 20K+ on it; haven't heard anything since. Billy had bought a Suzuki C50T, had a wreck somewhere out west, IIRC, and quit riding not long after, for awhile at least. He and his wife were enjoying time together after she retired, with a Mazda Miata, the last I heard.

I often wonder how Billy's doing these days, and if the ol' '95 is still rolling.

(Hi, Fergy!)

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts