Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Siggy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:frown2:
I recently was looking under my new bike and noticed that the same person that used blue plumbers gaff to seal up the crankcase after replacing the stator also CUT THE FRAME to replace the stator. The worst part about all this is what's left of their welding job. I can see sunlight through half the diameter of the tubing that is barely welded together.

The cuts are in similar locations as the subframe connections on the right side of the bike.

SO... should I just wait and do a better job myself this winter? Should I continue riding this machine for the season? I'm guessing not. And since I've put as much money in as I spent on this bike a few months ago to get it running and functioning... I don't really want to get rid of it. It's not worth much with this $%^&* weld job that is somehow holding it together... still.

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
DO NOT RIDE UNTIL YOU GET IT FIXED.I am talking from expiriance. Trust me on this as I rode one with rust damage in that whole area.you will have frame flex .it will wobble over tar snakes and concrete highway expansion joints.mine laid me down in an uncontrollable headshake in a left hand corner at about fourth.trust me on this.pavement and bodies are not meant to meat.;)

Reactions: Monnerjr

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
Do what I did and transfer everything to a new frame with good title.its not hard

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Be glad that you saw it now rather than having it let go at 70 MPH!!!!! I wonder if your state has a law preventing people from knowingly selling something of that nature without full disclosure. For that matter, I wonder if MY state has a law like that. I am sorry that you have that situation but happy that you found it before total failure time.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
Be glad that you saw it now rather than having it let go at 70 MPH!!!!! I wonder if your state has a law preventing people from knowingly selling something of that nature without full disclosure. For that matter, I wonder if MY state has a law like that. I am sorry that you have that situation but happy that you found it before total failure time.
Hell know that feeling.I could move my kickstand with my bare hands.lol

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
You are lucky to have spotted that bodge welding job before the inevitable happened and you had an "off".

Definitely don't be riding the bike until you have that repaired or as Doc said, do a frame change.

Unfortunately there are lots of unscrupulous sellers and even more idiots, that should never be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle with a tool kit!

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Popcorn............ and chicken

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
DO NOT RIDE UNTIL YOU GET IT FIXED.I am talking from expiriance. Trust me on this as I rode one with rust damage in that whole area.you will have frame flex .it will wobble over tar snakes and concrete highway expansion joints.mine laid me down in an uncontrollable headshake in a left hand corner at about fourth.trust me on this.pavement and bodies are not meant to meat.;)
Yep, a loose frame is like riding with no air in the shocks. Take a corner like that once and you'll keep a hand pump with ya.......

My upper support bolts were rattling behind the right ear when I got my 05 and I rode for 2 days trying to find the rattle and thinking damn this thing isnt very rigid.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
I'm surprised there's no duct tape on it.

With that kind of shoddy work, maybe you should do a through scan of the bike to make sure that the PO didn't do any other modifications. And with any modifications that you do find its probably best to redo them to confirm that it's done right.
Maybe we should all do a through analysis of our bikes. You can't put your safety in the hands of others.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
I'd cut the frame out in the same spots he did, ream the holes, put some tubing inside the frame tube, and reweld it again.
But how long has it been ridden like that?is everything square?has anything else been tweeked?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
But how long has it been ridden like that?is everything square?has anything else been tweeked?
True, although I'd hope the tubing wouldn't kink too much. I mean, it's lined up well, it's just welded horribly. Some inner tubing will reinforce it well, and if it is tweaked, but not structurally compromised (you know, like when steel flexes back and forth so much it gets soft), it should be fine... But don't take safety advice from me. I don't use respirators, hardly ever use safety glasses or ear muffs, and I weld bare handed...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
If ya can't weld what are you looking for in price of a welder to do it?now on to the tweaked factor.say its a degree off to the left at the neck and the whole front forks are now off as compared to the rear wheel.is it gonna track straight? Will the value be the same with two noticeable welds in the frame?I've seen titled frames run between $200-600.and nows the perfect time to customize. You also get to know your machine and get the satisfaction of telling people YOU did it."its shake n' bake an I helped"

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
And keep the neck area and title for a chopper project.if ya go that route let me know

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Shake n bake, huh? I wonder how many younger folks even understand that reference?

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
......I mean, it's lined up well, it's just welded horribly........But don't take safety advice from me. I don't use respirators, hardly ever use safety glasses or ear muffs, and I weld bare handed...
It would be a little difficult to make the statement that "....it's lined up well, it's just welded horribly...." after only looking at that one picture until you added the part about not taking safety advice from you with specific reasons listed. lol Damn, I don't think I could trust anything there without a complete review of everything and to use a laser or at least a string to see if it is all lined up correctly. Having a second VN 750 in known good shape sitting next to this particular bike in question would be a good starting point. Good luck.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I cannot state with absolute certainty the specific years that the Shake n Bake commercials were on but it was way back when I was a kid and I'm in my early 60s. People in their 30s and 40s and maybe even early 50s don't remember things like party phone lines, or even rotary phones for that matter, when color TVs HAD to be delivered and installed by technicians, when ALL TV dinners were in all aluminum trays, Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions, where they were when Kennedy was shot, TV stations signing off each evening with a test pattern and National Anthem, full service gas stations, what the difference between a mouse motor and a rat motor is, or making person-to-person or station-to-station phone calls. I'm not certain but I think the "its Shake n Bake.... and I helped" little girl is almost certainly a grandmother by now because I seem to remember those commercials were back in the 1960's.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Sorry about getting off-topic...........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts