Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
When you check pipes close to the head, keep in mind right side (front) has a dual layer pipe (pipe in a pipe), so it will be cooler. If possible check temperature of the exhaust manifolds
Sometimes I'll just wet my finger but wet rag is better. 馃檪 You'd think I'd just buy a temp gun. The ohmeter has a temp probe but I can never find it.

Registered
I thought that was a spot mirror. 馃檪
I've been meaning to get one of those so I can choose who has to see me on the road.

FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
Sometimes I'll just wet my finger but wet rag is better. 馃檪 You'd think I'd just buy a temp gun. The ohmeter has a temp probe but I can never find it.
Exhaust pipes get hot? Lol

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
When I fired up Bessie my Sargeant at Arm's said," hey brother, she's smoking a little." I said " eh, she's old enough"

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Just wanted to update everyone. I had a buddy come over who is a little more knowledgeable about this stuff and we were able to get her running much better. The smoke is actually oil burning off. There is a major oil leak that didn't immediately present itself until we got her on the road around the neighborhood. He did say it might only be running on one cylinder. At this point, its going to a shop. I have rebuilt engines in my driveway before and it sucked. I do not want to do it again. Plus it needs new tires and brakes, and for my peace of mind having someone who knows what they are doing go through it would make me feel way better.

I do not live in Colorado for the record. I am in TX

Registered
Just wanted to update everyone. I had a buddy come over who is a little more knowledgeable about this stuff and we were able to get her running much better. The smoke is actually oil burning off. There is a major oil leak that didn't immediately present itself until we got her on the road around the neighborhood. He did say it might only be running on one cylinder. At this point, its going to a shop. I have rebuilt engines in my driveway before and it sucked. I do not want to do it again. Plus it needs new tires and brakes, and for my peace of mind having someone who knows what they are doing go through it would make me feel way better.

I do not live in Colorado for the record. I am in TX
Wise move. I tried my own rebuild. I misplaced a rocker in the rear cylinder on my first attempt and it ran terribly. My second attempt, it dropped a valve into the front cylinder and trashed the engine! I can't identify anything specific I did wrong (I never touched the valve assembly beyond the cams/rockers and the timing is correct). But had I had someone else do it, I probably could have a warranty claim on the work. Some things are worth leaving to the experts.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts