Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right thread, but the vulcan I am working on finally starts! I'm sure the carbs need to be done as it will not idle with the choke fully open, but I knew that already. Whenever the bike gets running, there is a white hazy smoke coming out of what seems to be the whole bike. It lingers, and "creeps". I would expect that out of the exhaust maybe but the whole bike freaks me out. I shut it off because I didn't know what was happening. It does have fresh gas. It has been sitting for awhile. Is this just stuff that needs to burn off or am way over my head here?

I did spill a little gas around the carbs as I was trying to empty the old gas, but that was weeks ago at this point. I would have thought it evaporated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to note, I've seen blown head gaskets, this is not that kind of smoke. It is not thick, its very wispy and comes out of everywhere. There was even some around the headlight and on either side of the bike.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Sounds like it might be a stuck float and you're seeing gas vapor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy i bought it from did say one of the carbs needed a new float needle. there was a part of me that was hoping I could ignore the carbs... could it be that simple? the bike has less than 1k miles so Im skeptical of anything being actually broken.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Yep, a bad float needle will just let the gas keep flowing. It might need an oil change if the crankcase filled up with gas.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Low low miles means it sat a lot.

If the rubber tip on the needle sticks to the seat, it can pull the rubber tip off. Or just sitting dry, the rubber can rot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makes sense, I did order a rebuild kit preemptively so I was planning on doing the carbs, just didnt want to. The front tire is dry rotted, but it starts right up.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Was able to watch from the second link using my PC.

Pretty sure you need to fix that carb. Does one pipe, close to the head, stay cooler than the other?

Also on my PC at the first link, I could listen but only saw a still picture. The engine does sound like it's flooding with gas.

Have seen people post that gas was gushing out of the air filters and airbox when they had a stuck float.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
good to know. as far the exhaust, I don't know.
It could be gas vapor there too, especially if one cylinder is running cold. Some have also reported gas vapor from the exhaust during carb flooding.

Completely unburned gas that's heated, will make white vapor, if the gas is a rich, partially burned mixture, it will make black smoke.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I might move the gas can on the floor further away, just in case things end badly!

Is there a difference in volume between the two exhaust pipes? Or putting your hand in the exhaust stream, is there a different feel (temperature or pressure)? It sounds like both cylinders are firing. However, it's idling really high for having no choke on.
Colorado you say? I'm in IL, but it makes me wonder about the altitude. Has the bike always been in Colorado (or similar altitude)? Above 4000 ft, the manual calls for pilot/main jet sizes of 35/130. (Make sure to include the "Vehicle Emission Control Information Update Label" :wink2:). While you're looking at the carbs, check the jet sizes.

BTW, your left mirror is on backwards :grin2:

Once this is all figured out, I'd like to see some picture of the bike. That custom paint on the tank looks pretty sweet!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Have to remember when checking exhaust pipes, all the exhaust mixes in the goat's belly, so temps at the tailpipe may appear equal even with a dead cylinder.

It sounds kinda small to me, like 325cc. Check the pipe temp close to each head.

Jason, I thought that was a spot mirror. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
When you check pipes close to the head, keep in mind right side (front) has a dual layer pipe (pipe in a pipe), so it will be cooler. If possible check temperature of the exhaust manifolds

1 - 20 of 26 Posts