Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike (1995 model) a couple of weeks ago and I am ready to change the oil. Here’s my question. The previously owner always used “motorcycle oil” and said that I should continue with the same oil. But after reading the Vulcan Verses it seems like an oil such as Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" works fine with the VN750. I’d rather use the Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" because it is easily bought at the local Walmart. Who is right?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I bought my bike (1995 model) a couple of weeks ago and I am ready to change the oil. Here’s my question. The previously owner always used “motorcycle oil” and said that I should continue with the same oil. But after reading the Vulcan Verses it seems like an oil such as Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" works fine with the VN750. I’d rather use the Shell 15W-40 "Rotella T" because it is easily bought at the local Walmart. Who is right?
Let the arguements begin. I agree with your friend. I used Shell Rotella T, Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic and was not happy. Went back to Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oil and have a better running and shifting bike.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
I currently have Rotella in mine with no complaints or problems.

You might want to do a search on this, it's been discussed extensively many times (and no doubt will be again). Let the redundent posts continue!

·
Registered
97 Posts
No matter what oil you pick, you will always be wrong!

But I'll X2 the Bosch 3323, and I haven't had any problems running Rotella T. Decided to try it when I had a gallon sitting in the trunk of my car. A lot of the diesel guys in the Mercedes Diesel forum won't run any other dino oil besides Rotella, myself included. Of course, we're not talking diesels here, but many find it is a good oil.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Oh, here we go again. Here's my thesis:

I use Rotella T6 (5W-40), mostly becuase I use it in all my trucks, so it is convenient to have one type of oil. Oils have varying amounts of reserve alkalinity, known as TBN. Either Rotella or Rotella T6 have particularly high TBNs, so assuming good filtration, they can be run longer without building up acidity. I go 10,000 miles or one year on the trucks, and about 5,000 or six months on the VN750. I tried Rotella T (15W-40) but had problems with oil pressure when cold (55 degrees) and had to burp the filter on the side of the road several times. I must have something not quite right in the oil pickup line, like a small leak, or maybe with the oil pump.

The Bosch, Motorcraft, PowerFlo, ProLine, Purolator Premium Plus, Purolator Pure One, Quaker State brand filters use the same (best) filter media but varying amounts of it, and perhaps different anti-drainback valve design and material. The best of these (that I have seen data on) are Purolator Pure One and Bosch. I believe the SuperTech filters from WalMart use a similar media, buck much less of it- I will use those in a pinch (there's one on my bike now.) From memory, use the Mazda MX-6 filter as a cross reference-- it is a longer filter than stock-- check it out to be sure.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter that much as long as you use a motorcycle compatible oil (NOT "Energy Conserving,") and change it regularly and before the reserve alkalinity disappears. It really depends on how the clutch and transmission work with the oil you choose-- every bike is a little different.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Which Oil / Filter

It is a matter of educated preference.....
I have used NAPA MC oil with oem filter. Then switched to Rotella Synthetic with K&N filter. Currently I am using Comercial Rated (CJ) Delvac 15-40 with K&N filter w/o any problems. Next Oil change I will go with one of the filters listed below.

An Oil filter that sits vertically does not need to have an anti drain back valve to protect the engine. However most/all motorcycle engines have a filter that sits horizontally and absolutely require a high quality anti-drain back valve to prevent contaminants from flowing back into the engine when it is turned off.
Here is a link to a study on oil filters.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html
Study it and you will see why his #1 recommended filter is the PUROLATOR PURE ONE, p/n 14610 for Honda, Kawi and Yamaha motorcycles with the 20 X 1.5 mm mounting thread. (Suzuki requires an adaptor as they use a different 20 X 1.0 mm thread. Full info in article.) After reading this article, the Pure One filter line appears to be the best qualityfilter available for any vehicle I own. It would be my #1 choice in the future. These filters DO have Anti-Drain Valves.

1986-93 Purolator Pure One PL14459 Pure One
1986-93 Mobil 1 M1-104
1986-93 Bosch 3325 Hi-Flo oil filter

1994 & up Purolator Pure One PL14610
1994 & up Mobil 1 M1-110
1994 & up Bosch 3323 Hi-Flo oil filter

Hope this helps....
:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
IMO, you can use ANY four stroke oil, weight is the main thing, as well as changing it as often as you can. I change mine about every 2500 miles. Check your owners manual (I lost mine a long time ago) and use the heaviest oil you can get away with according to the manual and the temperatures in your area. I have never used anything but 20w50 in my bikes, lots of different brands. I have never had a lubrication problem. 70,000+ on my Vulcan and still going strong, I expect to reach well over 100,000. As for filters, Bosch is good, I use Emgo, and get 6 of them at the time from DK. Just stay away from Fram. There are way to many documented cases of engines destroyed by Fram filters. Google it and do your own research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts