Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:BLAM: I am having trouble stasrting my bike in the cold weather. Had to jump it severel times. She fire up nicely when it's above 50ish, but wont start below. Does anyone know where I can find a battery with some decent cold cranking amps?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Got my AGM from batteriesplus.com, but picked it up from a local locations of theirs.

This http://tinyurl.com/yzpq6k is the one I got.

Jon

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Try ebatteriestogo.com. they have what you want at a good price. It is a jell battery and is same size as the original. When I bought mine there was no shipping or tax on the item. It may still be the same.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Try ebatteriestogo.com. they have what you want at a good price. It is a jell battery and is same size as the original. When I bought mine there was no shipping or tax on the item. It may still be the same.
Pretty sure the original was a acid based, wet cell type. Kaw wasn't going to spring for AGM type batteries.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Measure your voltage on the red wires on each coil with the key on and engine not running. They should be very close to the voltage across your battery again with key on engine not running. If there is a substantial voltage drop to the coils, it's probably not going to get much better with a new battery, although replacing your wet cell with a sealed gell is still a good idea. You might have corroded connectors or just bad, old wiring causing your voltage loss. The coil wiring mod in my sig would help if this is true on your bike.
Another thing that might/should help is to go with the iridium plugs. They take less voltage to create a hotter spark, which is what is needed on those cold mornings. Even with the coil mod, my bike was getting hard to start on cold/damp mornings after it had sat for a few days. I put in the iridiums and that completely went away. Usually starts on the first noise of the starter now, might take two bumps once in a while, but never three.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a Westco battery. I have one for my VN750. It starts like a charm, replaced the stock battery after I had the bike one month and joined vn750.com. Just ordered a Westco for my Buell today, darned thing wouldn't crank this morning so I rode the Vulcan...

Glad I did, pretty day, and the bike looks so pretty parked in the new parking lot at work from the window... I know the Asphalt won't get hot, but it's less than a month old so I stuck a kickstand critter under the kickstand.

Only issue is disposing of the old battery, I still have the old Yuasa from when I got the Vulcan, the HD battery (also a Yuasa) has to go when the new one comes in. Found out our county has recycling centers which will take them.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Only issue is disposing of the old battery, I still have the old Yuasa from when I got the Vulcan, the HD battery (also a Yuasa) has to go when the new one comes in. Found out our county has recycling centers which will take them.
Any place I've ever got a battery from adds a core charge to the new battery, which is returned to ya once you bring the old battery back to them. Usually about $5-$8.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The Westco's seem to have an early failure rate. Several here have posted that thiers failed prematurely. Just a heads up if you run into any trouble.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I didn't think about online purchases when I posted my above post.
It would be a pain to send a junk battery back to an online merchant for a few dollar core charge :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts