Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Sorry for the first stupid question but where do you usually buy helmets, jackets and gloves?
I just cannot find a good local store. I went to CycleGear and they have a couple of leather jackets that look like **** and all of their helmets are Bilt, which I don't want. Other than that they had 1 Shoei for $400.
They are saying that they can order anything for me. So funny. If I knew what I wanted I would order it myself.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hi,
Sorry for the first stupid question but where do you usually buy helmets, jackets and gloves?
I just cannot find a good local store. I went to CycleGear and they have a couple of leather jackets that look like **** and all of their helmets are Bilt, which I don't want. Other than that they had 1 Shoei for $400.
They are saying that they can order anything for me. So funny. If I knew what I wanted I would order it myself.
Yeah, helmets are not like Women's Bra's. :doh: Need proper fit. Need to try on prior to purchase. LOL
Sounds like you need to get out of town to the next city. LOL
Helmet (standard Sm, Med, Lg, xLg) size's can vary between different brands.....

Best to find helmet desired (brand), decide proper size/fit by physically trying ON.

Good Luck

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Hi,
For a jacket...
Try a Harley dealer. They might say Harley on them but they do sell good stuff.

Helmets I'd try them or another bike dealer. I don't know where you live so I can't be specfic. My Yamaha dealer had a good selection.

Always a good idea to try on a helmet rather than guessing your size and just ordering it online. A helmet should fit tightly, having a salesman that knows how to fit you is a big plus.
Once you find your size remember each maker is different. A "medium" from one company might not fit the same as a medium from another. Worse still is even diffrent models from the same maker can vary.

I have a Shoei RF 1100. Yes, it cost 300 bucks, but my head is worth more than that.

You can always buy online after trying one on at a shop. (If same model and maker)

After seeing a guy with no nose and half his jaw gone at an ER, I only wear a full face helmet now.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in MA, and when I said local I meant about 70 miles radius. There are just not a lot of these shops around here. Or they are hiding from me...
And yes, of course I'm looking for a full face helmet. I'm planning on 80% highway riding and don't feel like catching bugs and rocks with my teeth :)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I found a good mesh jacket with armor on Ebay for $39. But then I wear a small so there were fewer bidders on it. Not many cyclists were a small.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Where to find helmet and jacket

I purchased my helmet from Revzilla. Got a nice full face HJC FG 17 for $179. The staff was extremely helpful in my selection. They will even pay return shipping one time if the helmet is unsuitable. That model seems to run small. The size chart put me squarely in the medium size but the lid was way too tight. Went with large and at first a bit snug but it feels very comfortable now. I started with a modular but found it too heavy. Also the modulars are DOT rated but don't carry the Snell certification. You can also try Leatherup, though the sales girl I spoke with didn't seem to know a helmet from her....., you can fill in the blank here. Both have websites. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
picked up my helmet from a local motorcycle accessory shop. Not a motorcycle dealer, but deals only in motorcycle parts/gear/clothing

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I picked up both of my jackets off E-Bay. both were over 10 years old and both looked brand new.

·
Chopem
25 Posts
Finding a good helmet is not so easy. Sure you could run to wallmart...you could search
Ebay or ask a friend. But the two brst ways i have found for my gear is just to ride places you havnt been. Ask another rider you see in a parking lot. Small shops cost more...but have good customer service. Any local atv or cyclce service shop will carry gear. Also most
custom car shops..ie drag racing can hook you up with where to find gear.
Personally i wear two different jackets...one is an old style bomber...
the other is more modern and sexy as all get out. As for a lid....i buy one everytime i go to helen ga...or pretty much any small shop i find....good luck in your hunt...hope i gave you an idea or two.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Agreed 100%. jackets are fine from ebay but a helmet's comfort can make or break your ride. Try some on. Go the the bike shop in Helen myself but since my head isn't a perfect fit for the Fuller helmets they mostly carry I prefer River Road in Deholaga.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts