Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I decided that I need better protection on my legs than just whatever I happened to be wearing so I got a pair of the Cortech DSX denim jeans. The jeans include knox knee cups but the pockets they sit in put the cups down on my shins.

So, I was thinking about tossing the knee cups and filling the pockets with a custom-cut foam pad. I think EVA might be the right term? I realize this padding won't be as good as the knox knee guards - but the knee cups aren't doing much good down there.

Does anyone know where I can get some padding like that - that I can trim to fit the pockets in the jeans?

Thanks! Mark

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Get creative

Buy some fiberglass mat that's used to repair body damage on cars and boats, fold it or cut it to fit with several layers and use that. The stuff is super strong, cheap, and used layers, will provide protection.

I would use silicone glue to hold the layers together yet providing a flexible glue for comfort. This sandwich would resemble kevlar fibers used in bullet proof vests.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can find a good selection of foam and suplies to make it mold and harden at most craft stores like Ben Franklin Crafts, Joann Fabrics, Michaels, etc etc.

mostly for seats and the like but they tend to be ever expanding inventories with the changing years.

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
Most of the readily available foam you find at craft stores, fabric stores, etc, is open cell foam or simular. This stuff will compress quickly on impact and provide little protection. The use of fiberglass matting might help on abrasion but will do little for impact , the silicone itself, if thick enough might. Fiberglass is not bullet proof BTW.
Most of the makers of amoured clothing sell pads, armour and the foam you are looking for seprerately. Do yourself a favor and contact the maker of your pant and see if they offer something ready made you can use.
Rubber makes a good impact resistant pad, if no luck with finding the correct armour, you could try using layers of rubber sheeting, or cutting up one of those matts they use on floors to reduce foot stress in industrial settings or commercial kitchens. Lowes used to sell them in 2ft squares. Look for "anti fatigue mats" online....?

KM

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Can the pockets be moved up to where the cup will be on your knee?
That was my first thought.... A drycleaner or the like should have someone there to make the nescessary modifications - just make sure they use a strong stitch (ya don't want it tearing out when ya need it the most...)

Newenough.com sells armor seperate - I'm sure quite a few other places do the same.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
When you ride, they should move up to cover your knees. I havce the same pants and the cups move into nearly hte perfect position after I saddle up. You may have to give them a small tug. Where they ride when you're standing is not important. It's where they are when you're riding / crashing that counts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts