Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'am Rudi from the Netherlands,

I bought a vulcan 750 for my wife, but now 5 day days later a have a major problem. I find out te stator died.
Found some topics on this forum about how to check ..i did some measures and it did not passed the test... :-(

Now I see a lot of sellers on ebay.. but where can i buy a good quality stator..I understand its a hell of a job to replace so i only want to do it once!

Thank you!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,765 Posts
oh crap, here come the "intro police"! :doh:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kinda sounds like my story from last year!

I don't know what to say for the best replacement stator. I bought a replacement off Ebay that the seller said was a rewound unit. It wasn't one of the cheap, high volume sellers. That's about all I know about the stator. I don't think it's anything special.

Instead of concentrating on the stator, I spent my time replacing regulator rectifier with a shindingen unit, adding a voltage monitor, and doing the tuxedo mod, so I can replace the stator in the future if it becomes an issue. I'm at 4000 miles and counting, and it's working great so far.

Also, welcome to the forum!

GDI

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
either buy OEM or Ricks. The Ricks is a slightly better wound (produces more voltage at lower RPM) version of the OEM stator, and the OEM stator is excellent. Everyone is looking for a replacement when the OEM dies and never gives the slightest credit to the fact they last 15+ years until they do. If you're killing stators every few years, the stator isn't the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a Rick's stator for $144 and all the gaskets from Partzilla for $50. 84 they should all be here this week. I'm putting the stator in on the 8th of September I will let you know how the job goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my first update..... I pulled the the tank, battery and ears off as well as the pipes off the motor.... snapped the first exhaust stud off... will need to run to napa to replace tomorrow. Does anyone know the proper size for the right side exhaust studs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Four more hours of dissassembly and attempting to get the engine e rocked far enough to the right to get the stator cover off, to no avail. It's going to have to wait til later in the season to get finished.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks spockster. I found that I couldn't get the rear to drop, even after removing the right side frame section. And one of the coolant lines is hanging up on the backbone of the frame in front of the rear tank mount point. I have all the stator cover bolts out, I'm 3/4 an inch away from getting it off the shifter shaft.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I had both coolant tubes, the thermostat housing, and the airbox removed when I did mine. Pulled the engine forward to get off the driveshaft, then tilted to the right.

I left the carbs, throttle cables, and exhaust manifolds in place.

I'll work on those pics now.

edit - Couldn't find the original thread I had made, so here's a new thread with just the pics, in no particular order.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-elec...ilt-pics-stator-balancer-job.html#post1268443

1 - 10 of 10 Posts