Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the tool kit would be by the battery or something. But don't know where it could be on my 1994 vn750.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
when there new, they are in the trunk, behind the seat. most owners replace the kit with better quality tools. so its probably not there either.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have the same bike, where did you find the drivers backrest and how does it attach?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
its a protac drivers backrest. it mounts by installing two brackets to the top shock mount nuts. the backrest fits into the mounts. not sure if they are still avaliable, the guy that makes them recently retired, and stopped making them. someone with more info my chim in that knows for sure.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
its a protac drivers backrest. it mounts by installing two brackets to the top shock mount nuts. the backrest fits into the mounts. not sure if they are still avaliable, the guy that makes them recently retired, and stopped making them. someone with more info my chim in that knows for sure.
He has quit advertising, but I believe I read that he was still making a few backrests as of last summer.

Edit: Protac thread link- http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16961

BTW, the thinwall 18mm sparkplug wrench that fits down in the plug "well" on one side of each cylinder is the most unique of the Kaw tools, and often requires a little hunting to find a suitable replacement. So if you find the tools in the toolbox, guard that long thin socket even if you replace all the other tools.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the driver backrest. Update on my toolbox, not there... behind the seat the previous owner put a piece of metal with leather on it. lol!

·
Registered
77 Posts
BTW, the thinwall 18mm sparkplug wrench that fits down in the plug "well" on one side of each cylinder is the most unique of the Kaw tools, and often requires a little hunting to find a suitable replacement. So if you find the tools in the toolbox, guard that long thin socket even if you replace all the other tools.
FYI - I bought mine last month at Sears (Craftsman brand - 18mm sparkplug socket) when I replaced my plugs...worked like a charm with the extension on the 1/2 drive. Less than $5.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
FYI - I bought mine last month at Sears (Craftsman brand - 18mm sparkplug socket) when I replaced my plugs...worked like a charm with the extension on the 1/2 drive. Less than $5.
Yes I know several members have gotten a thinwall socket from Sears, or ground down the outside diameter on another deep set socket to fit inside the "tunnel". I phoned and looked personally at the local Sears tool dept. but they couldn`t find one for me.

In my previous post I meant that that socket from the bike toolkit is least likely to already to have a replacement in your toolbox, not that it is impossible to find. For every other tool in the kit I already had a better quality, or easier to use, replacement in my possesion

So is your socket a 1/2" drive, not 3/8"?
Is it actually a sparkplug socket with a rubber grommet or support cushion inside?
Could you give us the Craftsman part number engraved on the socket`s side?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bidding on a original tool set right now.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
the tool kit might also be an extra on the bike...it was offered in the kawasaki fire and steel catalog.
All new bikes came with a tool kit. They go in the "tail box"..there is also supposed to be a rubber stap to hold it there.

The stock tool kit is pretty useless, the only saving item it contains is the spark plug wrench....which does work fairly good.

+1 on creating your own "kit" out of better made tools though.......

KM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts