Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just got myself an 86 vn750 (got tired of killing my back on my gsxr600 sitting in nyc traffic every day). I'm not very good with carbed bikes (I've wrenched my gsxr more than a few times though so I'm not completely new to it), however I cant seem to find any diagrams of what a specific part is on my carb. There is a plunger type thing with a black boot that sits on top of the carb, about 2 inches above the air/fuel screw. It seems that, even if the bike is off, there is a steady drip of gas coming from it. This is only happening on one side. do you guys know what this part is specifically? and also, can this be a result of a clogged carb/needle?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thats the choke...and it appears to be stuck in that particular pic. The lil v fork and the top of the lil plunger should always be
touching.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, I will check that out. Is there any particular reason why they stick? Flooded/clogged bowl? Do I just wiggle them up and down to unstick them or should I drain the carb first?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd also change the gaskets on the petcock. I rebuilt my entire carb and was still getting a drip here and there. Turns out the gasket was bad on the PC and it kept leaking and filling up the carb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I wiggled it around and it seems to not be stuck anymore, however, the mystery continues.

Now when I try to start the bike, it just cranks and cranks but wont start. If i move the choke all the way towards me (towards the rear of the bike), the bike will stop cranking completely. Like it will crank once and then silence. Could this be related to the leaking choke or should I just call it a day and pull out the carbs for a cleaning (which I would like to avoid if possible, as the bike ran before this gas leak)?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I wiggled it around and it seems to not be stuck anymore, however, the mystery continues.

Now when I try to start the bike, it just cranks and cranks but wont start. If i move the choke all the way towards me (towards the rear of the bike), the bike will stop cranking completely. Like it will crank once and then silence. Could this be related to the leaking choke or should I just call it a day and pull out the carbs for a cleaning (which I would like to avoid if possible, as the bike ran before this gas leak)?

Thanks again!
That sounds like a battery/cranking issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update: I've found that after doing the back blow method described by Wolfie, when I start letting the carbs drain via drain screws, the gas just keeps flowing and flowing no matter what position the petcock is on. My guess is that I'm flooding the carb/cylinder and that's why the bike isn't starting. Is this the result of a stuck float or needle?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Most likely. Stuck needle in the open position I think just let's it flow. Can try a lot of sea foam and see if it'll clean up the carbs or else ya gotta take the carbs out. New needles are like $10-12

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have one of the older bikes with no "off" position...only On, Res, and Prime...would it still be the petcock thats the issue? Also of note, before I did the backblow, I didnt have the issue with non-stop flow from the drain port, so I believe the petcock worked before that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts