Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Where I can get this ignition switch part?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Vulcan2000 
#1 ·
Possibly online, or do I need to take it to a local shop?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. I took the bike out yesterday to practice on slow speed maneuvers. Well I get back home, shut her off, and realized the headlight was still on, the neutral light was still on. The key was not in the ignition. Suddenly my fiance noticed something smoking. Everything shuts off finally. But now nothing will come on. I narrowed it down to the attached photo. I believe its the brown/white wire that got over heated and burnt out.

#4 ·
post in the sell swap forum someone may have one.

#7 ·
Always check here first for parts unless you are totally against used. There are always several members with parts bikes willing to sell a few items to put some coins in their pocket. If you knew it was a particular wire within the bundle you might have been able to just replace that wire on your own for a lot less than $95. Find out what caused the wire to cook before you destroy another complete mini harness section by just replacing it. Good luck.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear you spent $95 on that. I had to replace the switch assembly a few months back and I have an extra as I didn't need that part. In fact I now a whole bike that can be used for parts. Head gasket is leaking and I don't really have the experience to fix it myself. Went and bought a sportster. So if you need anything else, let me know.

#8 ·
Verify which wire burned, and find out why. The only reason for a wire to overheat and burn is high resistance (a short circuit) The problem is not likely in that harness, but in the ignition switch or whatever the other end connects to.

#9 ·
Update: thanks for all the help guys. Next time I'll be sure to contact on here. This particular time I just said screw, I want it fixed asap. I ended up getting the entire ignition assembly in today. There really was no hard work involved to connect everything. It did come with a new set of keys. Down side, if there is one, is the gas cap and helmet lock will still require the original key. So I'll have to have two different sets of keys. I'll live it. But I turned her on and it worked like new. Ready for the warm weekend!

#10 ·
As for the key problem, why not rekey everything the same by checking that topic here using the search option at the top of the page. Several members have done it and now only need to carry one key that fits ignition, gas cap, helmet locks and rear tool box. It is a do it yourself option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.