Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, please help if you can.
This is my first time at a lot of things like riding a motorcycle, posting on a forum, and working on a motorcycle. I have never signed up for any forum but I couldn't resist vn750 because it was just so awesome.

So for my very first bike every, I bought a 95 Vulcan 750 with 8000 miles on it from someone who had it in storage for maybe almost decade. It is a CA model so it has the evap system on it.

I decided to take apart the carb and clean it and I discover something weird. I notice that the vent hose on my carb was connected to the canister in the middle of the bike (under the battery and behind the engine). And the grommet (part #: 92071A) on the left side of the bike was connected to nothing.

The picture shows the hose and grommet that I'm talking about. In the picture it looks like the hose is connected to the grommet, but its not, it actually goes to the carb.

I checked the manual and it says that the canister hose is suppose to connect to the grommet and the carb vent hose is suppose to connect to the air filter. I checked and the hose fits perfectly in the grommet. I don't see any hose on the air filter to connect the carb vent to.

I don't believe that the grommet is suppose to be left in the open like that, otherwise it draws in unfiltered air, right? I also don't think the carb vent is suppose to be connected to the canister because in the manual, it looks like the carb vent and canister hose both expel something.

So how are these hoses suppose to be set up. If you have a CA model and can tell me how its suppose to be connected then that would be great. If not, then where are your carb vent hoses connected to?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

On the back side of either air filter housing (ears), there's a hole near one of the corners. The hose plugs in there to keep it out of the wind, the end of the hose needs to be cut at a 45° angle so it doesn't get blocked if it contacts the back of the hole. When we earshave, we put the vent up under the tank or put a filter on it.

Correct about the open hose letting dirty air in, just hook it up by the diagram.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know what is the point of the vent hose? Does it just let out fuel vapor.
Wouldn't connecting it near the air filter draw the ventilation into the intake?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
The vent lets air out of the fuel bowl, so it can fill up with gas.

If the vent gets enough wind or is blocked, the engine will try to stall out.

The 'port' on the air cleaner housing is isolated from the intake air.

Use one of the two holes shown on the right side of the pic, top or bottom. (pic may not show the actual orientation on the bike) Edit: Actually, I think the top hole is larger and will fit the hose better.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the hose that comes out of the canister. The one that's supposed to connect to the grommet on the surge tank. What comes out of that hose?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
What about the hose that comes out of the canister. The one that's supposed to connect to the grommet on the surge tank. What comes out of that hose?
It's supposed to recycle gas vapor back into the intake air. Pollution control.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I gonna have any issues if I just run the bike without attaching a hose to the carb vents? Like just installing the carb how I have it in the pic without a hose going from the vent to the air filter.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Am I gonna have any issues if I just run the bike without attaching a hose to the carb vents? Like just installing the carb how I have it in the pic without a hose going from the vent to the air filter.
You'll have issues. Wind hitting the vent. Probably water too.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I have issues when wind hits my vent.water too.but then again I have issues anyway so...

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See this is why I joined vn750.com. It's just so cool and [email protected]$$. Thank you so much.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
You can say ass here;)

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was trying to spell it in a cool way.

Ass.

heh heh.

Ass, ass, ass, ass, ass. Great now I can't stop.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Well don't throw it around spelled that way,cause @$$ spelled like that ain't cheap. Hehe Hehe he said ass

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually @$$ cost two dollar. It says so right there.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Damn all this time I've been paying WAYYYYYYY to many dolla

·
Registered
570 Posts
You can say ass here;)
Ass soon as i doo, though, you'd be knockin on the door yellin,
"She tore get off the pot!" afore'n i'd get a chance to do the paperwork. Just sayin.

:grin2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts