Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is an 86 VN750. As I look around at other (newer) bikes, I always wonder why these features went away. Anybody want to offer an opinion?

The tachometer: Seriously. That delivers useful information. You're heading into a curve, and sure you can FEEL how much torque you might have, but by looking at the tach you actually KNOW where in the power band you are. I look at newer bikes and damn few have tachometers. Why have bike designers decided, "Meh... they don't really need that"?

Gauges IN your field of vision: Seems like newer bikes have all decided that the tank-mounted speedometer is the way to go. I admit, it does give a cleaner look to the bike. However, who decided that every time you wanted to check to see if you were under the speed limit (oh, hello, officer...) you need to basically look down at your crotch. Okay, so maybe not quite that far, but it's easily a 45 degree angle. This means that for that period of time, you're not watching the road at all. Older bikes like the VN750s had the gauges up over the handlebars. Glance down about 20 degrees and the road is still in your peripheral vision.

Pipes on either side of the bike: I dig a nice set of double-barrel Vance & Hines as much as the next guy, but when "both pipes same side" is the ONLY option, it's kind of boring. Plus, there's a certain symmetry to the "one pipe per side" setup. I know that a lot of baggers have this as a standard setup, but how about mixing it up? Why did everyone decide that one side is the only way to go?

Anyway, let's hear your opinion on these, and any other features you'd like to see modern bikes bring back.

Jay

·
Registered
269 Posts
Boomers on Harley's. /thread

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I think you're right. Maybe it's the "less is more" thinking, along with support from bean counters, "less is also cheaper to build".

Style and profits.

Have heard some riders complain about the same things on their bikes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've ridden bikes without fuel gauges! It's an exercise in watching the trip meter! Granted, the gauge on this bike reads full for 50 miles, goes to just above half at 100 miles, and is bone dry at 140 miles...but what happens when you haven't learned your bike range yet? What happens if you forget to reset the trip meter at fill up? It's dumb...

I've ridden bikes without a tach. With stock exhaust above 50 mph, I could be cruising in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and have no idea unless I really know how the engine feels.
And unless you have a shift light or rev limiter, how do you know when to shift?
(Side note, anyone else maintain their speed using the tach more than their speedometer? I ride at 4.5k on country roads...)

I've ridden bikes with an LCD speedometer. My polarizing sunglasses make them very hard to read!

I like the temp gauge, but I would be fine without one. Especially on carb bikes, because it's easy to tell how warm the engine is by how it runs.
The bike I rode without a temp gauge did have an overheat light.

I could go with a single dash light for signals (vs left/right), though I prefer the dual.

We VN750 riders really are spoiled!

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
There's quite a few cruisers with no tach, not including Harleys. Boulevard, Intruder, Ace, Shadow .....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seems like newer bikes have all decided that the tank-mounted speedometer is the way to go.
Jay
To all motorcycle sales personnel: DO NOT EVER SHOW ME A BIKE WITHOUT A TACH!!! OR A SPEEDO ON THE TANK!!!!!!

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I like the 4-way flashers. Would always come in handy on a big group/benefit ride when stopping traffic at an intersection.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I like the 4-way flashers. Would always come in handy on a big group/benefit ride when stopping traffic at an intersection.
So do hammers...lol

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts