Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking on eBay, but I can't find anything other than used stock seats.

As we all know, the stock seat is awful. My butt gets destroyed after about an hour of riding. I'm planning a 1250 mile trip this summer (possibly closer to 1500 or even more), and there is no way in hell I am taking that trip with the stock seat, hehe.

So either I have to get a good aftermarket seat (I don't care if it's used), or a very comfy touring pillow (that you strap on the stock seat).

Any tips on where to find either of these? If anyone here wants to sell me a used aftermarket seat, that's cool too :)

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
No idea about after-market seats, however I have used an Airhawk cruiser pad/cushion, fantastic buy and stops numb butt/saddle sore ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea about after-market seats, however I have used an Airhawk cruiser pad/cushion, fantastic buy and stops numb butt/saddle sore ;)
Hm, it might be enough. I see there are lots of different ones; which one did you get? I'd like one that fits the seat perfectly.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
How about having your stock seat redone with better foam and possibly a built in gel pad. I believe some have done that with success. You can keep the stock look but be much more comfortable. I myself have the Mustang replacement seat and have not had a problem ever. Corbin is another seat replacement manufacturer. Check both those names on line. There never was a whole lot of after market parts available for this model and even less now that production has ended for some time now. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
Depends on your butt size. Narrow butt, air hawk or refoam. Larger butt, go with a vn 900 seat or similar width. Especially for long trips.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How about having your stock seat redone with better foam and possibly a built in gel pad. I believe some have done that with success. You can keep the stock look but be much more comfortable. I myself have the Mustang replacement seat and have not had a problem ever. Corbin is another seat replacement manufacturer. Check both those names on line. There never was a whole lot of after market parts available for this model and even less now that production has ended for some time now. Good luck.
Lowest model year on the Mustang home page is '95. Tried 5-6 different model years above that and only found seats for the Vulcan 800 and up :/

Couldn't find anything for the 750 on the Corbin home page either.

Neither eBay nor Amazon has any Corbin or Mustang seat listings that I could find :(

Some guy I met yesterday recommended I had the stock seat redone too (he builds / repairs motorcycles) and does it himself all the time. I have zero experience doing anything like that though, so I'm afraid I would mess up the seat. They're quite expensive even used (with shipping and customs), so I guess I'll probably just buy a cruiser pad to start with and see if that will suffice.

·
2,502 Posts
Saddleman still makes a seat. They're pretty comfortable. Mustang will not make them anymore but they still show up used every now & then. I just saw one on ebay last week and I think it sold for just under $300.
I did a write up on all 3 if you look in my profile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some of us have swapped in a seat from a VN900 with good results.
Search for 900 seat and there are a couple write ups on how we have each done it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on your butt size. Narrow butt, air hawk or refoam. Larger butt, go with a vn 900 seat or similar width. Especially for long trips.
I'm skinny; 145 lbs approx, 5"11'. Maybe an air hawk would be adequate then?

Saddleman still makes a seat. They're pretty comfortable. Mustang will not make them anymore but they still show up used every now & then. I just saw one on ebay last week and I think it sold for just under $300.
I did a write up on all 3 if you look in my profile.
Man, I would be ALL over that listing if I could get one for 300 bucks.. I'll check out Saddleman :)

Some of us have swapped in a seat from a VN900 with good results.
Search for 900 seat and there are a couple write ups on how we have each done it
Hm, I'm pretty lazy so having to modify a seat is probably out of the question, haha. I'll keep it in mind though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
Hi Python, yes I have a stock seat on now and it fits the shape very well. I've had mine for a few years and have used it on cruisers, trial bikes and even a Lambretta scooter...

I am riddled with arthritis and the airhawk made long rides a pleasure ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Python, yes I have a stock seat on now and it fits the shape very well. I've had mine for a few years and have used it on cruisers, trial bikes and even a Lambretta scooter...

I am riddled with arthritis and the airhawk made long rides a pleasure ;)
Oh man, I really hope it works for me as well... Went for a fairly long ride yesterday and I STILL feel it in my bum. I cannot fathom how they could design such an ill bred seat.

I'll be keeping an eye on eBay for a Mustang seat at any rate. Again, if anyone here wants to sell me one, I'll buy it, period. Even if it has a few tears / scratches.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
I'm getting my stock seat reupholstered, shaving the foam and shape. Definitely the Airhawk was the best investment for long rides

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm getting my stock seat reupholstered, shaving the foam and shape. Definitely the Airhawk was the best investment for long rides
Yeah that's probably a good idea. That's my backup solution; I know a guy that builds bikes - he might be willing to help me with it.

Someone from this site sent me a message though yesterday about buying his Mustang seat - so I might not have to :D

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Couldn't find anything for the 750 on the Corbin home page either.
Odd, took me 15 seconds to find this on their website:
Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Kawasaki Vulcan 750 | 800-538-7035

I had the Corbin seat on my Vulcan, and on my FJR.. They are the only company I'd buy a seat from now..
They are the only company I know of that still makes real "custom" seats. Click the "Order" tab and see all the options they offer. :)

(Looking at the Bonnevile seat soon)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Odd, took me 15 seconds to find this on their website:
Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Kawasaki Vulcan 750 | 800-538-7035

I had the Corbin seat on my Vulcan, and on my FJR.. They are the only company I'd buy a seat from now..
They are the only company I know of that still makes real "custom" seats. Click the "Order" tab and see all the options they offer. :)

(Looking at the Bonnevile seat soon)
Hm, I could swear it wasn't there when I checked the first time. I did find it now though by going to the same page that I tried last. Maybe it was a glitch (or maybe I'm blind..). At any rate, a member here sold me his Mustang seat. Hoping I'll get it in a week or two.

I think I have a very sensitive bottom, so the Mustang might be the best option for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts