Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking about this in another thread and realized it could be its own. When I'm stopped at a light I check my mirrors rather frequently. When I see a car approaching from behind, I start pumping the hand break so the break light blinks at a pretty good pace. Since I started doing this I noticed that the approaching cager doesn't creep up nearly as close to me. Obviously it can't work on an incline but since I starting doing it, I did notice a difference in how cagers pull up on me. Didn't know if this might help someone else out...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Very cool fc, and the price is not bad considering it could save your life.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Did you replace both bulbs with these or just one? I would be interested in picking up a set myself.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
i have the "back off" brake flasher on my bike, and ive noticed the same. even my running lights flash with the brakes applied, every little bit helps i guess.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
What about also flipping your hazards on for a few seconds to help get their attention?

·
Registered
66 Posts
See Ebay item 330373860030 LED spinner for Harley Davidson Sportster. $12.75 with free shipping
Ron

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Very interesting indeed. Did you replace both bulbs with these or just one? I would be interested in picking up a set myself.
Replaced both. Don't know if it's because I installed one and turned the ignition on to see if it worked, shut it off and then installed the other, but they usually rotate in opposite directions. I forgot to mention that after a revolution or two, they change the direction they rotate. Pretty much does what a modulator would do and then some.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
On my latest Ninja, I was wondering why the brake light looked dim, figure it was the bulb. When I pulled the cover, it turned out that there was one of htose spinners in there. IDK, maybe it's the lens or a bad bulb, but I haven't seen one yet that is as bright as the standard bulb.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
just throwin in my experiances ... depending on which way im turning i tend to creap to the one side of the lane tryingto give upcoming traffic an exit if in an emergancy situation ... if they are commin up quick I''ll grab the throttle and rock it good and loud and creap into the cross walk if neccisary i trust no cager can see me so i try and maki it easy for them ... i also like to give them room if they are trying to turn right behind me to turn this way i know the light sensor will be tripped if they pull up onto the pad ... .

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do kinda the same thing. I'll pull up on one side of the lane so my head lamp is in the side-view mirror of the car in front of me and so if the cager behind has some extra room in case they need it.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
On my latest Ninja, I was wondering why the brake light looked dim, figure it was the bulb. When I pulled the cover, it turned out that there was one of htose spinners in there. IDK, maybe it's the lens or a bad bulb, but I haven't seen one yet that is as bright as the standard bulb.
Mine has 12 rear facing LEDs, and are pretty bright. Can't say that I've compared them to standard bulbs, but think when I get home I'll pull one of the LEDs and substitute a regular bulb and compare them. I'll post what I find.

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
Brake Light

I noticed the same thing on those spinners. I rode behind a guy at the Vulcans in the Valley Rally last year, and while the concept is good, the lights are not bright enough to get your attention. He had his on one of those big 'ol Vulcan 900's and man, are they slow. The 900, that is LOL :motorcycl

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have been behind a bike with those spinners, they are hypnotic and found them distracting. I would not use them in my bike.
I got a brake light modulator so it flashes 5 times everytime I apply the brakes then stays on.
I use the LED board and it is brighter and uses less power that 2 1157's.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I do not like LED lights of any kind. I also have both headlight and brakelight modulators (legal in my state). Before getting the brakelight modulator, I would sit there at a light and pump the front brake to keep the light flashing, especially until a car has pulled up and stopped behind me. I even thought about getting one of those cheap universal 2 prong turn signal flashers and wiring it into the brake light, but I don't think that would be legal. And in heavy traffic, I also ride in town with the 4 way flashers on. I have also used one of those flashing bicycle tail lights (they are LEDs, but they are BRIGHT, with only 2 AA batteries) attached to the back of my helmet with Velcro. I'm a big believer in visibility. Jerry.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
I watch my back when stopped until there are two vehicles stopped behind me. Until then, number two could still hit number one and shove him into me. As the first one approaches, I flash my Hyperlites brake lights at 'em.

Only last week, my lane stopped suddenly downtown, and I sweated until I had my two buffers back there. The number four car was struck from behind and pushed into number three. Ouch.

I have a hi-viz yellow jacket and extra lights, but you have to be ready to BAIL OUT too. I started watching my back after the day I was on a straight, open road in broad daylight, making a left turn in a 1978 Chevy Nova - not a small car and perfect road conditions. Idiot runs right into me at 50 MPH, never saw me, never slowed. Ripped the seat out of the floor and pointed the trunk straight down. Had I been watching, I might have diminished the impact at least.

No single thing will keep you safe. I use 'em all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts