Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
This is obviously my first post. This is also my first street bike. It's a 2004 750 vulcan obviously.
I raced dirt bikes for the past 5 years and decided to get one.
My bike has developed a bit of a stutter when starting from a dead stop unless I give it a decent amount of throttle and it caused me to stall twice just 20 minutes ago. I made it to school but it is scaring me quite a bit. Is it normal to need a good amount of throttle to get going without stalling?

FYI I had ran very low on gas and used the sea foam treatment. I had filled up maybe 3 miles before the stalls. Could it have been an air bubble in the fuel line or something of that nature? Definitely not a mechanic at all here just a wild guess.

Edit: I've road this bike for the past week for a total of 500 miles and stalled once which I knew was my fault but i haven't had this occur yet.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hello everyone.
This is obviously my first post. This is also my first street bike. It's a 2004 750 vulcan obviously.
I raced dirt bikes for the past 5 years and decided to get one.
My bike has developed a bit of a stutter when starting from a dead stop unless I give it a decent amount of throttle and it caused me to stall twice just 20 minutes ago. I made it to school but it is scaring me quite a bit. Is it normal to need a good amount of throttle to get going without stalling?

FYI I had ran very low on gas and used the sea foam treatment. I had filled up maybe 3 miles before the stalls. Could it have been an air bubble in the fuel line or something of that nature? Definitely not a mechanic at all here just a wild guess.

Edit: I've road this bike for the past week for a total of 500 miles and stalled once which I knew was my fault but i haven't had this occur yet.
Is it normal to need a good amount of throttle to get going without stalling?
No

How is it idling....since problem started ?
If very low idle / rough ....one cylinder may be cutting out at low rpm's....possibly electrically, but most likely a carb problem.
In another recent post, the rear cylinder carb float was stuck open....flooding rear cylinder at low rpm's...but burning enough fuel at higher rpm's to run properly.
hth
:smiley_th

·
Registered
277 Posts
You titled the post, "When starting jerk"... that implies that the bike is moving forward when you're starting it?

If that's happening, it could be that the clutch isn't adjusted properly, and is engaging while you're at rest, which could cause it to have trouble starting, and make it stall...

Is the bike physically moving when you're starting it? Do you start in neutral?

·
4,508 Posts
You titled the post, "When starting jerk"... that implies that the bike is moving forward when you're starting it?

If that's happening, it could be that the clutch isn't adjusted properly, and is engaging while you're at rest, which could cause it to have trouble starting, and make it stall...

Is the bike physically moving when you're starting it? Do you start in neutral?
Good point GloryRider....Another possible solution to the problem (adjust the clutch).

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
going to add in here possible coffee grinder syndrome as well..

does it make a 'grinding' noise when it happens??

I know my bike has CGS, and it can jerk sometimes if the clutch is being a real pain

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did just adjust the clutch and it is doing much better, but in order to do that the friction zone is near the end of the clutch travel. Could I need a new clutch cable possibly? Sorry for the complete newbie questions guys and thank you all.

·
4,508 Posts
I did just adjust the clutch and it is doing much better, but in order to do that the friction zone is near the end of the clutch travel. Could I need a new clutch cable possibly? Sorry for the complete newbie questions guys and thank you all.
Handgrip adjustment is the fine tune adjustment.....backoff grip adjustment,.....
the clutch cable has the major adjustment just beyond the grip .....midway between handgrip & cable lever attachment (pain in a$$) .....read prior threads for details ....or Clymers Manual.
hth
WilliamTech

1 - 7 of 7 Posts