Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three times, that happened to me THREE TIMES yesterday on the way home!

So I'm riding home from Princeton to Clinton NJ. Route 22 is a nice scenic ride but it can be shady at times. Its a four lane separated by a thick grass median. U-turns are allowed were it's paved, about every 2 miles or so. So if you're in the right lane, you have people slowing down to make a right and in the left lane you have people turning onto the road. The speed limit is 55 though so people like to move at a pretty good clip, around 65. That's why it can get hairy.

So I'm in the left lane and see a car in oncoming about to make a u-turn. The lady looks right at me as I approach. She turns her head back the other way, I'm almost at her at this point, she looks back at me AGAIN and pulls out into my lane!!! She was all calm and nonchalant like it was nothing. Meanwhile I hammer on the breaks and brace my arms so I don't go over the handlebars. That happened 2 more times on the way home! One lady, entering from the right, made eye contact with me then cut me off!!!! EYE CONTACT!!!!! Not seeing us is one thing. AIMING for us is entirely different!! What the crap are these poeple doing!?!?!? ~Sigh~

Alright I'm over it, just a rant...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have had the same thing happen numerous times. for some reason their brain just doesn't register us as a vehicle.

One time I actually pulled up next to a guy and asked why he just pulled out in front of me like that, and he said he didn't see me. I said "you looked right at me and even made eye contact".......of coarse he denied it.

You learn to be very aware of what is going on around you...even anticipating what others are going to do by reading their posture and how they are driving....it has saved my butt numerous times.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
There's no such thing as "eye contact" when you are riding. It may look to you like the driver is looking right at you... But in fact they are looking right through you.....

I always find it helps alot to weave back and forth a few times to make me stand out. If your headed right at them, they can't detect your movement well. But weave quickly side to side and their brain picks up the movement.

Saved my ass countless times so far......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you expect more in NJ? Stop means yield, yield means GO and they don't see you because they don't look.. I get the same thing when I'm driving my car. It's a Miata and it's very small.. I'm convinced if someone around here is driving a bigger car then you they just say screw you and pull rank by size. The other day on 46 some jack @33 pulled in my lane.. I gave him a hand sign like WTF? (not the finger) I was about a foot from his rear bumper and he flipped my off.. So I know he saw me. I lived a a few states in the passed 20 years or so and never had as many close calls as I do here in a week.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
There's no such thing as "eye contact" when you are riding. It may look to you like the driver is looking right at you... But in fact they are looking right through you.....

I always find it helps alot to weave back and forth a few times to make me stand out. If your headed right at them, they can't detect your movement well. But weave quickly side to side and their brain picks up the movement.

Saved my ass countless times so far......
I am constantly weaving to avoid potholes and debris on the hiway anyway.....I just blend in well I guess...lol

I now have the driving lights installed with a thumb switch on the handlebars...I can flash them to be noticed.....but might piss of people who take that as "get out of the way so I can pass you"

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a headlight modulator and since installing it, I have had fewer of these types of encounters. Coincidence?.....I don't know, but I'm sticking with the modulator. When that fails, I blast em with my airhorns. BTW, I also have the brake light modulator and it seems that I have fewer people getting as close at a stoplight, again maybe coincidence but what ever you can do to make yourselt more conspicuous is a good thing.

Che

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
i know this might start something,but i usually blip my throttle,because my pipes are louder than stock.i have heard all sorts of arguments about loud pipes saving lives,but i am a member of the club.i have had people look at me,start to pull out,then relize i am there when i pull in the clutch and rev it.the look is usually of "where did this motorcycle come from?"

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Even though the stock horn sounds like a cartoon horn, I sometimes press it a few times through intersections. A lot of crazy drivers here in southern NY......

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts

So I'm riding home from Princeton to Clinton NJ. Route 22 is a nice scenic ride but it can be shady at times. Its a four lane separated by a thick grass median. U-turns are allowed were it's paved, about every 2 miles or so. So if you're in the right lane, you have people slowing down to make a right and in the left lane you have people turning onto the road. The speed limit is 55 though so people like to move at a pretty good clip, around 65. That's why it can get hairy.

So I'm in the left lane and see a car in oncoming about to make a u-turn. The lady looks right at me as I approach. She turns her head back the other way, I'm almost at her at this point, she looks back at me AGAIN and pulls out into my lane!!! She was all calm and nonchalant like it was nothing. Meanwhile I hammer on the breaks and brace my arms so I don't go over the handlebars. That happened 2 more times on the way home! One lady, entering from the right, made eye contact with me then cut me off!!!! EYE CONTACT!!!!! Not seeing us is one thing. AIMING for us is entirely different!! What the crap are these poeple doing!?!?!? ~Sigh~

I had that happen to me twice within an hour in Princeton on Nassau St. early this season and it was the same woman. The second time I just had to pull up on her left side at the next traffic light and asked her if she knew me or she was working on a contract hit placed on me by someone else. She said she did not know me and didn't understand. When I asked why she would pull out in front of me two different times and force me to lock up my brakes potentially causing me to crash she said she thought I would be a gentleman. I explained that I would be a gentleman or whatever else she wanted but she would have to be a lady first. Both times there was no one behind me and it would only take about two seconds to let me pass by. She got very upset with my comment about her having to be a lady first and started to to verbally go off on me at that point. She was attractive and driving a big Navigator so I flipped down my visor and shook my head as I drove off. I am not sure what I would have done if she was a fat cow. I just figured the peroxide must have finally penetrated her skull and caused additional brain damage. Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Even though the stock horn sounds like a cartoon horn, I sometimes press it a few times through intersections. A lot of crazy drivers here in southern NY......
same here in cntral new york,except half of them are in-bred.lol

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
KM is 100% correct. This is when I flash my highbeam, hit my airhorn or weave.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a huge believer in doing everything you can to stand out. I wear a orange safety vest over the top of my riding gear, have florecent orange decals on my helmet and have a headlight modulator. I know the modulator gets me seen as I've had people yell at me about how anoying it is. I just nod and think to myself 'yup! at least I know you saw me'. They are inexpensive and SUPER easy to install. To turn them on, you flip to High-Beam and the light will flicker. It has an electric eye, so at night it won't flash, but will give you true high-beams.

http://www.kriss.com/kawasakiapplication.htm

Highly recommend!

Tim

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
I am a huge believer in doing everything you can to stand out. I wear a orange safety vest over the top of my riding gear, have florecent orange decals on my helmet and have a headlight modulator. I know the modulator gets me seen as I've had people yell at me about how anoying it is. I just nod and think to myself 'yup! at least I know you saw me'. They are inexpensive and SUPER easy to install. To turn them on, you flip to High-Beam and the light will flicker. It has an electric eye, so at night it won't flash, but will give you true high-beams.

http://www.kriss.com/kawasakiapplication.htm

Highly recommend!

Tim
Is it just a matter of replacing the bulb? The other day I had a woman pull right out in front of me, but I assumed she was gonna do it, and was ready. Would be nice to be flashing a light down the road as I ride.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ride in the day with the Hi-bean on all the time and will flash back and forth,down to low if I think it's needed. My tail lights are led that circle 6 or 7 times one way and then the other way. When I brake they flash.

1157 LED Spinning Rotating Flashing Tail light Bulb 1 Pair = 2 Bulbs

Ebay, $9 shipped
1157-LED-Spinning-Rotating-Flashing-Tail-light-Bulb-1-Pair-2-Bulbs

Might not be legal in your state, but the cops here in Alabama said they were ok.

Video of one bulb tail light.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it just a matter of replacing the bulb?

unplug the bulb, plug in the modulator unit into the recepticle, plug the bulb into the modulator:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

LP is describing a situation so common that it has its own name, "THE SMIDSY". (Sorry Mate, I Didn`t See You);
It is one of the causes of most cage vs. motorcycle accidents.
Thanks for relating your experience Mike.
It is a good reminder for those of us who haven`t been able to ride for the winter (or four like me :( ).

Saved my ass countless times so far....
KM is describing a move called "SIAAM", (Smidsy Identification And Avoidance Manoeuvre) to counteract the SMIDSY.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU&feature=related

Especially note what the Englishman in the video has to say about "LOOMING" and "CAMAFLAGUE".

Hi-Vis jackets, solid white (or other Hi-Vis) colored helmets, modulated headlights and brake lights, and even using this SIAAM weaving technique will help make you more visible to those who really are trying to see you.

They may cut down the frequency of YOU getting cut off in traffic by 50, 75 or even 90%.

BUT NOTHING IS GUARANTEED TO BE A MAGIC TALISMAN THAT WILL PROTECT YOU ALL THE TIME.

You still have to watch the 12 second "bubble" in front (*****described by David L. Hough in his first book on "Proficient Motorcycling"), keep your head on a swivel, and keep your clutch and brake levers covered. :smiley_th

*****Link to Hough`s books:
http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough/e/B001JOWE2I/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know people cut us off all the time, I guess I was just amazed that it happened 3 times in 20 minutes!!! I'm glad Julz wasn't with me...

·
Kufbass
81 Posts
That is why I am putting led all over my bike and going to replace the regular bulbs with led. The pic is what my back of the bike looks like. I have all leds. Two red led strips on my saddlebags. Also have a led strip that is white until you hit the brake then turns red. In the front I have the regular headlight with and two fog lights. I have to replace these bulbs yet with led. The fog lights take too much wattage to run right now. Then I might get two white led strips for the front forks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts