Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a bit warm today at mid 90's. I noticed in traffic I was running about 3 needle widths below the white line on the far right. It didn't seem to want to go up but it was worry some. I noticed the fan coming on occasionally then coming off. I wonder what will happen in deep summer when it's 20 degrees hotter.
I guess I really need to know how much is normal and how much is worth debugging.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
As long as you stay below the top line you are fine,

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine comes on as soon as I turn the key. It was like that when I got it, and even though I have since swapped the whole wiring harness, it still does it. I don't mind though, since the heat here gets quite extreme.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
My fan comes on only in city traffic (traffic lights etc.)....and just slightly before hitting in the red.
Never felt it was an issue.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine only has come on in heavy traffic where I am doing a lot of sitting and it will usually run for a few minutes when I stop after a long ride in the summer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As with Memphis mine only comes on in traffic or sitting after running in the summer but only for a few minutes.

Memphis,
Are you running now or working on it? I am actually in TN for work right now but would like to ride next weekend. I live in the Cincy area. It would be great to meet another Vulcan owner and get a beer/burger.
Jmp

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
my fan kicks on just above the half way spot and kicks off just below it i have yet to have my temp guage reach over 3/4 since i got all my coolant leaks and blockages fixed

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
my fan kicks on just above the half way spot and kicks off just below it i have yet to have my temp guage reach over 3/4 since i got all my coolant leaks and blockages fixed
My bike is the same...has been since I got it new on 06.

Flush your radiatior and engine (the whole system) and replace the radiator cap. If that don't fix it, change your thermostat too.

The fan should come on at midrange on the guage....the needle should not go much above half in a properly functioning cooling system. that is your benchmark.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
"It was a bit warm today at mid 90's. ... I wonder what will happen in deep summer when it's 20 degrees hotter."

I'm going to be in a car with an air conditioner if it's going to be in the mid-hundred and tens yo!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My bike is the same...has been since I got it new on 06.

Flush your radiatior and engine (the whole system) and replace the radiator cap. If that don't fix it, change your thermostat too.

The fan should come on at midrange on the guage....the needle should not go much above half in a properly functioning cooling system. that is your benchmark.
I've done all that, although those don't really affect when the fan comes on. As long as I'm moving the temp drops back down to the middle.

To flush the radiator I got this cool tool that hooks up to shop air and the hose. It raises the water pressure so that the water flushing back through the radiator was shooting across the yard.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I've done all that, although those don't really affect when the fan comes on. As long as I'm moving the temp drops back down to the middle.

To flush the radiator I got this cool tool that hooks up to shop air and the hose. It raises the water pressure so that the water flushing back through the radiator was shooting across the yard.

-Robert
you are absolutely correct....those ensure your temp range is "normal" but the thing that controls when the fan comes on is the sending unit on the bottom left side of the radiatior.

If the temp sensor is off, you should replace it. It is going to send a grounding signal to the Junction Box relay at certain temps to turn the fan on.

the sensor either works, or it gets replaced.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you are absolutely correct....those ensure your temp range is "normal" but the thing that controls when the fan comes on is the sending unit on the bottom left side of the radiatior.

If the temp sensor is off, you should replace it. It is going to send a grounding signal to the Junction Box relay at certain temps to turn the fan on.

the sensor either works, or it gets replaced.
Have others replaced this switch? Its very expensive. The only other thing I can think that would cause this would be a restriction in the radiator. Slow moving coolant through the radiator would cool more than normal resulting in lower than normal temps at the bottom. However, I've power flushed it twice and it 'seems' ok. I do have an IR non-contact thermometer I might try to test with.

-Robert

·
Registered
99 Posts
As with Memphis mine only comes on in traffic or sitting after running in the summer but only for a few minutes.

Memphis,
Are you running now or working on it? I am actually in TN for work right now but would like to ride next weekend. I live in the Cincy area. It would be great to meet another Vulcan owner and get a beer/burger.
Jmp
I'm running fine but I don't have a lot of time right now, work has got me hopping! Can't argue with the overtime though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts