Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, it's almost that time. i've just started to get the bike ready for the winter. took off the windshield, tool bag, and saddlebags. if all goes well, i should have my bike put up for the winter by the weekend.:( but i'm going to see how long i can keep riding the wife's bike.

so i was just wondering when does everyone else put their bikes away for the winter?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Drink alot and have lots of sex??

Dunno, I don't "put my bike away" durring the winter. Last year we had several 60 degree days right after a snow. Warm enough to ride. A few days of that then later that month a few more warmer days. So, seems pointless to winterize the bike to bed when there is even just a small chance I'll get a ride or two through the winter. On those real cold snowy days however...well, go back to above...

KM

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well, my tags need to be renewed every December. so, i but the bikes away and get new tags in the spring. saves me a little $. also i like to wait until after a few good rains in the spring to make sure all the salt is off the road.

thanks for the good advise!

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I don't winterize to the point that I get the bike down to where I can not ride it. I add some stuff to the fuel and set a trickle charge on it. Cover it and park it in the car port.

I don't drink and I am too old for a LOT of sex. I do the best I can.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I'm with knifemaker on this one. This may be my first winter, but there have already been several chilly mornings & I survived. Besides I just finished making new saddle bag "Mounts" , shortened the rear signals & added led tail lights (extras not the board) So I've got to give it all a good run before I quit for the season. Basicly, If it's below or at freezing. I'm not going to ride. If it's not freezing out I'll be on the bike. And drink & lots of sex!:beerchug:

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
1st winter here for me too and I plan on doing what I do with all my vehicles. Park it in the garage with a full tank of gas of which I always have some seafoam added.

I went for a 60 mile ride today at 46 degrees and did well except for the very strong cross winds. I'll take it for a ride whenever the weather is above 40 degrees.

I've never had a problem starting my tractor after it has sat all winter in the shed. I do remove the tractor battery and store it in the basement till spring.

The bike will stay in the garage as is. I'll clean it up in the spring.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Since I'm a fair weather rider, I put mine up for the winters. What I have done the past year is put a heavy dose of Seafoam in a full tank of gas- run it until I'm sure the Seafoam is throughout the carbs, then park it in the garage. I use a charger to place one last charge on the battery, then I pull the battery and bring it inside with me where it is warm an toasty. In years past, I have pulled the plugs and shot the cylinders with Seafoam before I put her up, but that may be slight overkill.

For what its worth, I have heard putting the battery directly on a concrete floor will drain it, so I put mine on a board. (May not be true, but at the least, I figure I will prevent any spillage of anything in my house.)

I feel pretty good about the bike's 'hibernation' until I get her out next spring. This procedure hasn't failed me yet.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have only missed one month of riding in 2 years, I'm in Chicago to.
I add Sea Foam and put a float charger, Park her in the garage and wate for nice days :).

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Since I'm a fair weather rider, I put mine up for the winters. What I have done the past year is put a heavy dose of Seafoam in a full tank of gas- run it until I'm sure the Seafoam is throughout the carbs, then park it in the garage. I use a charger to place one last charge on the battery, then I pull the battery and bring it inside with me where it is warm an toasty. In years past, I have pulled the plugs and shot the cylinders with Seafoam before I put her up, but that may be slight overkill.

For what its worth, I have heard putting the battery directly on a concrete floor will drain it, so I put mine on a board. (May not be true, but at the least, I figure I will prevent any spillage of anything in my house.)

I feel pretty good about the bike's 'hibernation' until I get her out next spring. This procedure hasn't failed me yet.
It is a common misconseption. The only way to drain the battery is to get a current from one post to the other.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Put it up for winter? "ride to live and live to ride and to save gas" I'll be riding to work as much as I can. Washington state is not as cold as it is wet. Rain I can do, ice not good. I'll start it once a week to bring up some lube when the weather turns bad.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I am with CC and KM, good day and the bike is out. Wyoming has many days throughout the winte ryou can get a few miles in--supposed to be almost 70 tomm.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Put it up for winter? "ride to live and live to ride and to save gas" I'll be riding to work as much as I can. Washington state is not as cold as it is wet. Rain I can do, ice not good. I'll start it once a week to bring up some lube when the weather turns bad.
Gotta love the great northwet. If we were scared of riding in the rain we would only get to ride a few days of the year (there's more often a chance of rain than not it seems....).

I ride every day there isn't ice on the road (I've even ridden in ice... not fun... not wise... no - it was kinda fun but scary). Even with freezing temperatures ya can dress warm enough that you can be comfortable at 80. Then again, I'm talking borderline freezing - not 10 degrees (We rarely see less than 28 around here).

All that to say... don't winterize the bike - ya should have at least a couple days a month where it's warm/dry enough to ride...

Or ya can pay the therapist for the therapy the bike could have provided...

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Even with a gas stablizer, I drain (and leave open) the float bowls of the carbs to help prevent the slow jets from clogging up. The float bowls have an air pocket in them along with a vent so when gas goes stale or turns to varnish, the float bowls is the worst place for that to happen.

This works great on 4 of the 5 running bikes I have. The one bike I have problems with needs new float needles as they are 25 years old and when I take the bike out of storage, it leaks gas the first day. I change the oil the next day and everything is fine. If you think it is a pain taking the VN750 carbs out, you should try taking a V65 Magna carbs out. The four carbs come out attached to an aluminum air box - which is why I put up with one day a year of leaky carbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The bike is pretty much now parked for the winter. Only reason its parked now is because I got antsy wanting to tear it down and bobberize it. I don't do anything special to winterize it. I have a heated shop that it gets parked in / worked on. I'll have it started and testing new parts out off and on all winter. Its still ridable right now. Just not street legal at the moment.

·
Registered
659 Posts
What is this "putting it up for winter" that you speak of? Sounds like a crazy thing to me. Why-oh-why-oh why? Gear up and ride!!!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is this "putting it up for winter" that you speak of? Sounds like a crazy thing to me. Why-oh-why-oh why? Gear up and ride!!!
well, i live near Cleveland and if know ANYTHING about our weather, you'd know why we "put are bikes up for the winter".

first, there's the salt, salt, more salt, and still more salt. they salt the roads everyday! if the roads need it or not, wet, dry, or snow/ice cover.

next, (and yes even with all that salt on the road) there is this thing that is called "black ice" (which should be called "black death"!) you never see it. it's really bad in a cage when you drive on it and there is no way in heck i want to ride on it!

yes, i ride to live, but i would like to "live", to ride next year too!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Living in Massachusetts we also put out bikes up for the winter. We have the salt too, but we also have sand. Nothing like going around a corner and feeling your back tire slide from hitting a patch of sand.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Oh c'mon... there's some days it aint freezing (I spent a winter in Flint, MI - so I kinda have an idea how bad the winters suck...) and ya can always spray down the bike after rides to get rid of the salt...

Though there's the extra potholes during winter...

But seriously, I'd just drain the gas and change the oil before putting her up. Maybe overdose the last tank of gas with seafoam so the little bit of gas that may remain doesn't gum up crap.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I'm in Chicago and I don't store my bike for the Winter either. Too many warm days can spring up out of nowhere. Many of us in our area can attest to how we can have a big snow one day, and the next week we can be in the 50's. We might even get a good rain to wash the road salt off the streets. If there is a long stretch where I can't get the bike out, I will at least start the bike up and let it run for about twenty to thirty minutes. I put seafoam in the tank about once a month year round as well......

Stevie D.
Chicago

1 - 20 of 161 Posts