Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

wheel removle

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  accord_guy 
#1 ·
ok so i want to take off the fromt wheel this winter and do some stuff up there.... now when i take it out is there anything i have to e worried about when it comes to reassembly? i figured taking it apart would be pretty straight forward but im worried about going back together.... my main concern is do i need to have it professionally realigned?? anything else i should be worried about?? thanks guys..

#3 ·
I have a couple of pieces of plywood that happen to be the same thickness as the rotors, so I stick them inbetween the brake pads after I remove the wheel.
The only thing I would add is to tighten the axle nut first upon re-assembly , then tighten up the axle pinch bolts on bottom of the fork.

Check the wheel for run-out and make sure the brakes are working properly at low speed before using them on the street.

Some wheel bearing grease in the speedo drive on the hub can't hurt, and recheck your tire pressure before going for a ride.

KM

#4 ·
On the "act of removal" side of things, I'd also suggest an extra pair of hands to help hold up the front end. Although most of the weight in the bike is well behind the forks, when you pull the wheel, the front'll drop like a rock if you aren't prepared for it; and then getting the front end up to reinstall the wheel can be a bear if you're alone and you've never done it before (previous experience usually teaches you which part of the shoulder needs to be under which part of the bike to keep the forks up long enough to get the axle back in; if you have someone to help you, that person can just lean on the back of the saddle to lift the forks up and you'll be good to go).

#8 ·
The speedo hub is not really attached to the wheel. Once you pull the wheel, just let it hang there until you put the wheel back on.

#7 ·
If you don't have a spare set of hands to help you, a trick the mech who changed out my front tire used was to put a small floor jack under the forward part of the engine to support it from there. The bike didn't even budge and the jack was only pumped up to support, not to actually lift the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.