Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a puncture on my front tire, and have ordered a new one. I'm considering replacing the wheel bearings at the same time. How often should they be replaced? A friend once told me that they're designed to last about 24k miles, but I'm at 30k with the original front and rear wheel bearings. Any ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the double post, my internet hung up, and I clicked submit a second time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
On the wheel bearings, Why not pull dust covers ,wash out and repack with a high quality full Synthetic and be good for many miles to come.
Amsoil man

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the bearings were sealed and that we couldn't repack them.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
If there isn't any play in the bearings I wouldn't replace but 2x on lubing them. They are sealed to a point but a little grease under the seals will make it in. Something I overlooked when I replaced mine last month and they're starting to squeek a little. One of these days I'll learn.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I thought that too. So you can pull the covers to access the ball bearings? Do they just snap in? Thanks for the info.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
I wouldn't replace them unless they are notchy or squeaky. I have 37,000 on mine, getting ready to check them again when I swap tires this weekend.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Checked the maintenance service schedule in the Clymer manual and there is no time or mileage recommendation for wheel bearing replacement.
There are specs for radial (up and down) and axial (side to side) play of the front wheel.

I tend to agree with Kelly2001,
I wouldn't replace them unless they are notchy or squeaky.
I have a couple of needles for injecting grease under the edge of bearing seals with a grease gun, but have never used them, so I can`t comment on how well they work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I'll see what shape they're in when I take the tire off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts