Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went on a Poker Run this weekend. When I got about a 1/2 mile from my house on the way home I noticed a new sound. It is a humming sound that coincides with the wheel speed. I really start to hear it at abour 30 miles an hour. If I had to guess I would say it sounds like a bearing? The sound is unchanged by letting in or out the clutch and seems to be directly related to wheel speed. Are there little bearings in the wheels? Are they hard to replace?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
So I went on a Poker Run this weekend. When I got about a 1/2 mile from my house on the way home I noticed a new sound. It is a humming sound that coincides with the wheel speed. I really start to hear it at abour 30 miles an hour. If I had to guess I would say it sounds like a bearing? The sound is unchanged by letting in or out the clutch and seems to be directly related to wheel speed. Are there little bearings in the wheels? Are they hard to replace?
could be wheel bearing problems or it could be the speedo cable.Unhook it at the front wheel, tie it out of the way and go for a short ride if the noise is gone lube your cable if it's still there put it on the center stand and a jack near the front and turn the wheel by hand and listen closely also tr to move the wheel from side to side and check for play.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just watch out. The metal cable itself can easily come out of the sheath (protective cover)
Best to tie the wheel end of the entire cable up high and not down low.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was going to check this out but it has been down is the 30s and 40s at night and I went for a ride the other morning and could not pinpoint anything but the sharp paints in my fac from the cold. lol. I am however curious as to how you lube the cable? I can get a new one for like $15. I have replaced every other cable with the exception of the Choke as I rarely ever need it.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I believe I first read this from one of KM's posts, and it worked well for me.

1. Disconnect the cable ends.

2. Cut the corner of a Zip-Loc bag off and slide it over the upper end of the cable. Tape the bag to the cable so it is leakproof.

3. Place a container under the lower end of the cable to catch excess lubricant.

4. Place a tablespoon or so of lubricant (manual says engine oil, I used heavy gear oil) in the Zip-Loc bag and tape the bag in a position where the oil will run into the cable sheath.

5. Periodically push/pull the cable to evenly distribute the lubricant.

6. When oil drips out the bottom of the cable, remove the bag from the upper end. Leave the drip container in place untill all the excess runs out.

7. Grease the exposed ends of the cable and reinstall.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I believe I first read this from one of KM's posts, and it worked well for me.

1. Disconnect the cable ends.

2. Cut the corner of a Zip-Loc bag off and slide it over the upper end of the cable. Tape the bag to the cable so it is leakproof....

etc etc...
Yes, that works for clutch cables, throttle cables, brake cables, and choke cables...BUT... the speedometer cable should be greased, not oiled with cable lube or oil.

The other cables just move back and forth, but the speedo cable turns , and should be lubed with bearing grease instead.

First remove the cable from the bike. Then just pull the inner cable out of the housing..I forget which end. Be carefull to notice that there are some very tiny washers than fit on the cable..don't loose them. Spray a bunch of WD 40 down the housing to clean it out... then, go over to your neighbors house and holding each end in turn... spin the housing over your head so any excess oil gets flung out. (now you see why you do not want to do this near your house)

Coat the cable with grease. (I use marine grade bearing grease...) and slide the cable back in the housing, making sure any of those small washers are back in the right spot. Re-install the cable to the wheel , then to the speedo.

This is alot cheaper than buying a new one...but if that makes you happy...go ahead. ;)

KM

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
You're right. Should have read the previous post as I was thinking it was one of the others.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then, go over to your neighbors house and holding each end in turn... spin the housing over your head so any excess oil gets flung out. (now you see why you do not want to do this near your house)

LMFAO!!!!!! Thats funny. I kinda figured that would be the process, I will do it as soon as it warms up a little. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts