Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have really been noticing just how much I love my 2001 vn750. Everything is so great!! I love the fact that it has full instrumentation, shaft drive, and dual discs up front. Most bikes dont even have a Tach, so I love how we have water temp, fuel, tach and some have installed a volt meter! cool!! My question is, what do you love most about your Vulcan?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't know yet. Just loving the possibilities.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you new to the vn750?

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Lately I have really been noticing just how much I love my 2001 vn750. Everything is so great!! I love the fact that it has full instrumentation, shaft drive, and dual discs up front. Most bikes dont even have a Tach, so I love how we have water temp, fuel, tach and some have installed a volt meter! cool!! My question is, what do you love most about your Vulcan?
Ah, young love. I loved many in my life. The current one very much...:)

What I loved most about the Vulcan was that I had fun on it, and alot of fun making things for it.....as opposed to just buying stuff. I never had a bike that I put so much "home made" stuff on....it made the bike feel much more of a personal thing.

Love can be fickle when it comes to bikes, but like past girl friends, there's always something pleasant to remember.........

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Yes, 1986, you are right.

The VN750 is indeed a special machine.

You can't really buy anything else like it now--regardless of price.

It is pretty much the last bike of its kind.

Because of its many std features, it also makes for a very good touring (long-distance) machine--except for the smallish fuel tank.

Don't overlook what else you have that's really cool, too--Virginia is not just for lovers.

Virginia is also for motorcyclists! You've got some mighty fine riding available to you up there:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/va.html

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@theauhawk

Yes, there are so many awesome roads up here. Just normal communting off the major US Highways here are a blast. I have about 30mins ride to get to the Blue Ridge Parkway, that is amazing!

·
Bat
161 Posts
I love the fact that, despite recovering from lung cancer and bearing up under controlled COPD, I can still ride anything! The Vulcan is as big a bike as I want, it has every feature mentioned above, which I like very much...it's a hefty critter that I feel will get me where I want to go, and I want to do some long distance rides in the next few years before I get too ancient to ride.
I've got a new radio, new jackets, gloves, GPS, and an old second-hand trunk that will hold about all I need for an extended trip, if I use the passenger seat for my principal luggage. I'll paint up the trunk for looks this spring, do the final adjustment on my newly installed MCCTs that seem to want to work just fine, load my tools and battery charger in the bags along with my new waterproof beautiful riding jacket that I got for a song on sale, and I'm off to new and wonderful lands! I don't have to burn up the highway, can go at a decent speed that will conserve gas so I don't have to stop too often, and just enjoy the trip, carpe diem! My riding partners will be a coupla trikes who do not ignite the tarmac, either, so it is a good reason to take it easy.
This year it will be Spartanburg, SC from Cincinnati, and next year a biggie out to Bend, Oregon, both for Motor Maid conventions, to which I will have to ride my own wheels in order to be eligible to attend the meeting and elections. That alone is incentive to keep things in running order and shipshape!
But, best of all, I seem to be one of those who find the stock seat just as comfortable as can be, so can ride and ride in comfort.
I do love my VN750!
Bat

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something else i forgot to mention. I love, absolutley LOVE the 7 spoke alluminum wheels. It really makes the bike stand out compared to others. Most cruisers, almost all actually, have regualr bicycle spokes which are so boring!!!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I'd have to say the most important thing to me about the Vulcan 750 by far is it's comfort. I have completed 2 Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000s on it, and was not all that sore. It is a smaller bike that is every bit as comfortable as a Goldwing. I know, because I also have a Goldwing. Better wind protection, but overall not more comfortable. I give the seat a lot of credit, but what makes it all come together are the ergonomics. The relationship between the seat, bars, and pegs is absolutely perfect for me. There are no pressure points anywhere.

The second thing is all those standard features. Especially the shaft drive, tubeless tires, and centerstand. Those bikes with bicycle spokes also have tube type tires, and none of them have centerstands, so when you have a flat out on the road, you are stranded. Many times on the Vulcan I have had flats, and I just plugged the puncture, aired up the tire, and went on my way. I have 3 plugs in my rear tire right now, and still plan to wear it out.

Two things about the Vulcan I could probably do without is the liquid cooling and the over complicated engine. The Yamaha Virago was air cooled, with a much simpler engine, and most of the important features of the Vulcan. It also had the Vulcan's comfort and old school looks. It had a simple intake system, and you didn't have to pull the engine to replace the stator. I wish they still made it, I would probably buy a new one as a replacement for the Vulcan when it wears out. But I am very happy with the Vulcan. None of the Japanese manufacturers currently make a cruiser that I would consider as a replacement. Of the 750-800 class cruisers, none of them have a centerstand, most of them do not have shaft drive, and most of them have tube type tires, making them unacceptable for long distance travel. I might consider the Vulcan 900 Custom, if it either had carbs, or the electronics had a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty. Honda has zilch, the Yamaha V-Star 650 might work if it had tubeless tires. The Suzuki model that used to be the 800 Marauder is chain drive, no centerstand, but it at least has tubeless tires. Unfortunately it also has over $1000 worth of electronics with only a 1 year warranty, making it too risky for me to consider.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I like that even as a young guy I could afford it. Being 23 and not being filthy rich is a pain, but I found a bike that had more than enough power for me in my price range. I really liked that about it. Any other bike I could afford would have needed a decent amount of tlc to be decent.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I bought both my Vulcan 750s new. Knowing what I know about it now, I would probably not take a chance on a used one. I recently sold a Ninja 500 that would match it in the 1/4 mile, and run away from it on a curvy road. To bad it had to be so uncomfortable. The Ninja required a lot of rider involvement, the Vulcan is more of a kick back and cruise bike that you can rack up a lot of miles on before you know it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I thought it was very well laid out for a smaller (read short} rider.handled extremely well for a cruiser style bike .I too loved the wheels and Like Km made a lot of my own accessories ,what I didn't like factory seat,lack of cargo carrying capacity,and it is almost an orphan in the aftermarket.I also didn't like the fact that it was screaming at high speed highway stints.I would love another for a second bike,but like KM it just needed to be physically bigger for the long haul.Unlike most I did not like the shaft drive on it or my current ride,the belt drive on the newer vulcans is a big plus IMHO,even a chain when properly maintained is a better setup ad you can tailor the engine rpm to your riding style ,I Know a lot don't agree with that, but after owning many chain drive bikes and a couple of belt drives,I speak of personal preference.The tubeless tires are great and the one thing I am eventually going to change on the 1500 are the spoke wheels to Aluminum or ride it a couple more years and buy a brand new 1700 Nomad or a Wing,I have never owned a new bike and will probably only be able to own one before I kick off,But it makes my butt hurt to think of spending 12 to 20some thousand for a bike,that is still on the back burner for now.

Back on topic,the Vn750 was a great little bike with a few major flaws but they are a fun ride.And they are kinda funky looking which is always a plus!!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Everything, it's a good lightweight cruiser. The thing I like the best over the new bikes is the CENTER STAND.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
For the most I agree with Denny & KM... After 2 new VN750s and totaling out my 06 (Clyde) I bought a used 06 that didn't near have what Clyde did, and I was kinda disappointed in the used 06 bike, although it had less miles on it than Clyde...
So, I was in a get a new bike way, do away with someone elses troubles...lol...
Kinda funny how many bike makers copy the Harleys, anyway I kinda liked the xl 1200 Custom Sportster as it was pretty close to the VN750, then a funny thing happened, I decided to make a VN750 out of it I guess (kinda expensive too)...lol... I had the dealer set it up like I wanted it (VN750 style lol), get the spoked wheels off and put on cast wheels, put on different & higher wider handlebars, do the stage 1 (Intake & exaust + set for higher RPM)...
Well to say the least with all the changes he made it ran about double $$$$ OTD to what the 06 VN750 (Clyde) cost me... Then I added the tach. (HDs were too $$$$ high), RK take off air shocks, progressive fork springs and other stuff... I do miss the center stand, not sure about the shaft drive...
Well I guess I have very close to a VN1200...lol... Oh, and I still average around 48-50 MPG, and I did get an extra gallon tank (4.5)...
But all in all, you could about say my Sportster copied a Vulcan, is that a first...???
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
For the most I agree with Denny & KM... After 2 new VN750s and totaling out my 06 (Clyde) I bought a used 06 that didn't near have what Clyde did, and I was kinda disappointed in the used 06 bike, although it had less miles on it than Clyde...
So, I was in a get a new bike way, do away with someone elses troubles...lol...
Kinda funny how many bike makers copy the Harleys, anyway I kinda liked the xl 1200 Custom Sportster as it was pretty close to the VN750, then a funny thing happened, I decided to make a VN750 out of it I guess (kinda expensive too)...lol... I had the dealer set it up like I wanted it (VN750 style lol), get the spoked wheels off and put on cast wheels, put on different & higher wider handlebars, do the stage 1 (Intake & exaust + set for higher RPM)...
Well to say the least with all the changes he made it ran about double $$$$ OTD to what the 06 VN750 (Clyde) cost me... Then I added the tach. (HDs were too $$$$ high), RK take off air shocks, progressive fork springs and other stuff... I do miss the center stand, not sure about the shaft drive...
Well I guess I have very close to a VN1200...lol... Oh, and I still average around 48-50 MPG, and I did get an extra gallon tank (4.5)...
But all in all, you could about say my Sportster copied a Vulcan, is that a first...???
I actually miss the center stand myself .i am going to either make one that comes apart and will fit in one of the bags or order one and do some modifying,i had a flat on the rear last summer (D404,imagine that) and was close to a friends house he hooked a trailer on is ATV and we hauled it to his garage ,I put the tire I took off of it back on it and went on my way,had I had my tire tools and s patch kit with me I would have still needed a way to get the back off the ground,I'll address that ,hopefully before full time riding arrives again.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I love the fact that I could make it mine. Like you mentioned all the features on this bike were a plus for me. Being it was my first bike & first I had ever ridden other than a 65 suzuki trail bike which didn't run long enought to truly enjoy, I was pleased to have picked such a spunky machine!

·
Registered
319 Posts
ergonomically it just fits great!

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
The VN750 is a great versatile mid weight attack cruiser. I can cruise, or I can scrape pegs and be as close to the edge as I want to be any more. My bike is paid for and is in great shape. I've loved this bike ever since I sat on it in '91.
I went around and sat on a few bikes this past summer, and the only one I thought fit me as well as my Vulcan was an Electroglide.
P.S. - I kinda like the liquid cooling, and overall ease of maintenence.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Not to down play the OP's enthusiasm, but go to any other model specific forum and you'll find a simular thread. Be it Honda nighthawks, triumphs, or even my beloved FJR....all saying how "great" their bike is.

It's not really about the bike. It's great because it's YOUR bike. You have that intimate relationship with it that you can share with others who also own that model.

I loved my VN750. I do LOVE my FJR. I really just love motorcycles... Each one I owned has a special place in my heart.

There are still bikes out there I'd like to ride. Maybe even own.....

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
/\ Ha, ha, yep I think it's the fact that it just has 2 wheels...lol... A lot younger friend of mine that his wife also owned and rode bikes, traded for a 3 wheeler, he said I should get one, I just looked at him... Maybe 15 more years when I'm 90, nawww make that 25 more...lol...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts