Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 30 years of riding, it finally happened. I went down with my bike on Interstate 85 in Atlanta on Tuesday afternoon. The first rain (light) in over a month had the road slicker than usual. Combine that with a police car and another vehicle moving in the emergency lane (I was in the right lane) and another vehicle suddenly pulling into the lane I was trying to get into to avoid the police car, a pull on the brakes by me sent my bike skidding as if I had hit an ice patch. When my wheels regained traction (with the bike skidding somewhat sideways) I was thrown off the bike and bounced on the blacktop as the bike did it's own bounce. Fortunately this all happened at fairly slow speed (less than 25 MPH) and the traffic behind me was able to stop without running me over.

I have some road rash on my left knee and right elbow, my right foot is sprained, I pulled a muscle in my right shoulder, and I have a number of bruises. I consider myself extremely lucky.

Although the front of the bike took some hard hits, my Givi saddlebags kept the rear of the bike from getting a scratch. The Givi bags are scratched pretty badly, but are still functional and not cracked. My plexistar fairing is in a million pieces on I-85, but it probably absorbed a lot of impact forces that would have damaged more of the bike.

Attachments

·
Geek
872 Posts
Hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look that bad. Glad to here YOU didn't have any permanent damage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you Okay? All you talked about is the bike. How are you?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Been there. I was at an even slower speed, an Idiot cager wanted the same space I was using in rush hour in DC. 5 to 10 mph. Nice day just happened to be on a spot of oil. I went down so fast I didn't even know I was going. Broke my collar bone. Bike got a few scratches.

Glad to hear you didn't break anything! Hope the sprain doesn't take long to heal. Hope that bike is back under you in no time. You're now in category 2. Those that have.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Glad to hear that you're OK, Wally!!!

Just curious ~ were you wearing protective gear?

Glad the bike is OK too.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Hey Wally,

Great to see you survived the accident in relative good shape with no major injuries.
Those Freeways always did look like trouble to me and Lena. Only took her out on the Freeway once and those cagers were unbelievable, cutting right in front of us left and right.

I prefer a slow, dirt, pot holed Mexican backroad to a freeway any day.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Good to hear your ok. I had a wet slip and slide experience a while back and was glad to make it out better than I should have. There's nothing more freaky than sliding on the pavement and having time to think about what you're "supposed" to be doing.

It does look like the bike made it out pretty well - it's amazing you and the bike made it out allright when from the looks of it the bike somehow slid/bounced on both sides. I know that when I had my "oops" (mostly my fault) my ammo can saddlebags saved both me and the bike from serious injury.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Bummer, Wally. Like the others said, good to hear you're mostly OK.
Hope the bike isn't too bad either.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Wally,
Glad to see you posting after your spill and that you are ok. Motorcycles can be repaired, humans take a bit longer and you just can't find good replacement parts!
I remember from the course they saying that light rains (especially after dry spells) are the most hazardous It brings up all that soaked in oil and fluids from the pavement. Doesn't bother you as far as riding but as you stated.. the road can become almost like an ice rink!
Heal well and completely

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Wally, sorry to hear about your spill, but thankfully you are able to write about it! From the pics, your bike looks pretty good. Were your handlebars always that far toward you? Just wondering if the spill jammed them back or if you had them adjusted that way?
No matter, just glad to hear you are ok and I hope you heal quickly!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Each day my bruises and scrapes heal a bit more. I should find out the estimated cost of repairs to the bike on Friday from my Kaw dealer and the insurance adjuster.

I was wearing a Fieldsheer Titanium Mesh jacket, which protected my upper body pretty well. My right elbow scraped the pavement (wearing a hole in the jacket) in a portion that didn't have padding in it near the cuff. That was caused by the jacket bunching up on my arm during my asphalt slide. If I had the sleeves straps tighter that probably wouldn't have happened.

The pants I had on were very lightweight. It was a miracle I didn't get more damage on my legs. My cellphone was in a right hand pocket which I impacted on. My leg is pretty bruised there but the cell phone took most of the scrapes (it had to be replaced). Interestingly, the pants didn't rip where I got road rash on my left knee. My next shopping for safety gear will be for some strong pants suitable for hot weather riding. I have some good ones for cold weather already.

I had on high top steel toe wellington style boots, which probably kept my right foot from being crushed. Considering the bruises and sprains on that foot and the new cuts I discovered in the heel of the boot, I am pretty sure now that when the bike hit the asphalt my right foot was still under it. I think the Givi saddlebags helped keep the full weight of the bike off my right foot and helped flip the bike over on the other side. The saddlebag with the deepest scrapes was on the side I went off the bike on (the right side).

I had on a full face helmet (as I always do), but amazingly it never touched the blacktop. No scratches on it.

I have said several prayers of thanksgiving for coming out of this as well as I did. It could have all been so much worse. Thanks again for everyone's concern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wally...

Congrats on your survival and relatively small amount of damage. I wish I had as good a luck on my slam down.

Funny how fast that stuff can happen. Be careful out there...BTW, have you been getting a load of crap from all your friends and loved ones about this being some sort of message and that you may not be so lucky next time? I have and I'm really tired of it.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
have you been getting a load of crap from all your friends and loved ones about this being some sort of message and that you may not be so lucky next time? I have and I'm really tired of it.
Just tell them ....
"Yes, it was a message.
A message that we all have to be so much more aware of all the dangers life has to throw at anyone, at any time, while in any vehicle.
Life is unpredictable and not to be taken lightly, but don't let it restrict your from doing what you enjoy. That makes life boring.
I'm still here, so I can relate the message to you. I'm grateful this happened to me, rather than you, because I care so much for you, and didn't want you to get the message the same way I did.
Please (insert persons name here), use the message I received to keep yourself safe."

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Excellent response Hyper! :smiley_th

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My friends and loved ones have all expressed their surprise and thanks that I came out of the spill without any more injuries than I had. No one has suggested that this is a message that I should be giving up riding. Even my wife has been suggesting riding trips we can go on when the bike is repaired and I am healed. Although, it has reaffirmed some of my non-riding friends position on not getting a motorcycle for themselves someday.

Hyper, I do like your reply and may use it if someone does try to give me some grief about continuing to ride.

Diana, thanks for your well wishes. As you can imagine, Carol and I won't be at Mayberry Madness. Tell everyone Hi for me. I don't know yet about The Gathering.

Fergy, the angle of the handlebars was changed by the impact with the asphalt. Here's a better picture of what happened to the front of the bike resulting in that angle.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts