Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i was walking outside from my aprtment for a great ride. Its about 70 degs here in Texas, and sunny. Perfect riding weather. We had experianced some very heavy rain last weekend, so i waited all week form things to dry out.
As i walked out to my bike, the neilso-riggs cover that i use was all messed up and not tight, and i noted quite a few holes and cuts and some white looking paint. I thought nothing about it. but what i saw under the cover made me sick. My windshield had be violently ripped and shattered from its mounts. My right hand mirror was broken clear into the mounting hardware on the front brake.... this made me so mad.
Lesson learned, i'll start sitting on my balcony(it over looks my bike) with one of these http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92396 to make toast of the next idiot that messes with my baby

·
Registered
6 Posts
whats worse than bike theft - you just answered that!

Sorry to hear about your bike. I just got mine back and first ride was from the shop in Austin where it was repaired to Waco. I sure enjoyed the ride but been sick and that made it somewhat uncomfortable. Don't know what I'd so if someone messed with my bike. It would not be pretty though if I caught them.

I am sure the repair will be swift and easy and you will be back in the saddle soon.

Fred in Waco

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i may have an idea who did it.... when i came back tonight there was a white sante fe rental outside parked not far from my bike......Ironicly its missing paint from the edge of the door right at the same height that the white paint is on my cover.....
I also called progressive... they are gonna come take a look monday and i will give them the license plate number then. the damage seem that bad, in that it is all replaceable. i am just worried if someone hit it with a car and knocked it over if they did more damage that i cant see (i.e. bent forks/trees, frame ect.) so i will let progressive test it up. i am more worried bout the ride safety, dont need any failures....

BTW thanks for the moral support. I wonder how much one of those metal POD's storage things cost (like at the MSF course)... just put one of those in a parking space and make a makeshift garage. would take a dedicated thief to take the whole thing

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A++ for progressive....money well spent. I called them up to see what they would think be best. Since i wasnt sure if the bike had been just vandilized or hit by a car, they picked it up (towing on them) and took it to a kawa dealer that they like to use over here. they are in the process of tearing it down right now so they can make sure there is no hidden dammage (i.e. bent forks twisted frame...ect.) i did notice a white sante fe rental mentioned above, and told the insurance rep. he said give them the license plate number and they will look into it :p that is a difference of a 250 and 500 dedutable.... regardless, quick, easy, and put my mind to rest.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Here's what I'd do. From experience: I had a 69 camaro that was cherry. I actually let my ex wife drive it to work regularly (she eventually totalled it so that turned out to be my biggest mistake) but one day she came out and found that the front right fender had been smacked in the parking lot. It had paint from the other vehicle on the dent. Next day, I went to her work parking lot and after measuring how high from the ground the damage was, and peeling a piece of the other car's paint, I searched the entire parking lot until I found the car that matched up, dent, paint and all. I called a repo service and had them run the plates and got a name. I called her office and asked to talk to the person. When she answered, I told her that someone had left a note on my car that had seen her hit it and leave the scene. They gave me her name and license number, I told her. She immediately apologized and said that she left a note but that it must have blown off the car...yeah right. Anyway, her insurance covered it...
Just a thought. Hope it works out!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like fergy's idea.....i am keeping my eye out for that white car.... but oddly i noticed they just redid the lines that same week... and only one of the lines next to my bike was done...wondering if maybe the machine they used knocked it over... gonna talk to the apt and get their name... but if i do find the car.... i'll see if the tow company will tow them (i am sure a $20 will let them move the car to where its double parked >:D )

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so after the local kawa dealer finished the estimate (apparently progressive deals with them alot cause the didnt question it) of $1200:wow: , i found out the extent of the damage. Bent handlebar, new grips, both new mirrors, bracket for the front brake to attach to handle bar, new headlight, new turn signals, new gauge covers and some other covers that were needed and labor..... almost made me question the estimate....but when he told me due to the extent of the damage he was filing it as uninsured motorist. that leaves me paying $250. not happy with the damage, but i can live with only paying 250 of it, and maybe later priemums later (first thing on record). so i guess i can start working on my mods here next month as all the money i had set aside for prototyping when to fixing.
On another note.... i had to drive my cage (96 jeep cherokee) again during all of this... come to find out safely, i have a brake leak somewhere in the lines...guess i know what i'll be doing this weekend.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahhh yes.... finally get my baby back tomarrow so that i may continue with my mod planning.....but first on the list is rain gears.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts