Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cleaned up the rear brake assembly on O. and then installed a new cable, thinking that that was the cause of the "softness" in the pedal and brake application. Not to be - still had to adjust and adjust and adjust. So last night, I put in some newer brake shoes that I'd gotten off of eBay and tossed the old ones. Reinstalled the wheel, and I'm still at the same set-up. If someone can look at these pics, do tell: Why is my brake cable so long?? At the mid-point bracket (bad pic, sorry), the housing is in so that the eclip is over the slot closest to the head of the cable - I could back it up to the second slot, but that would only increase the curve at the front. Ideas??

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Cindy -

How does it compare to your other bike? From the look on the rear adjuster, something is amuck. I haven't seen one more than say an inch in off the end of the rod.

If the adjustment you mention you could make would take some of the cable out of the middle cable (pull it forward), then try it.

Where's you coolant overflow tank?

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cindy -

How does it compare to your other bike? From the look on the rear adjuster, something is amuck. I haven't seen one more than say an inch in off the end of the rod.

If the adjustment you mention you could make would take some of the cable out of the middle cable (pull it forward), then try it.

Where's you coolant overflow tank?

Jon
The adjuster is waaaaaay in compared to the other two bikes. I'd say on the 92, I've got maybe 1/2 inch behind the adjusting barrel. This is on the order of probably 3+ inches. The coolant res is hanging off the side of the bike - this is Orleans, so she's still a work in progress. It was easier getting to everything without the reservoir off.

I'm thinking...well, I dunno what I'm thinking. Was there a slight change in the frame size between years and maybe I got the wrong cable from Ayers? The cable that came on the bike was also adjusted way in, but I figured it was either an old cable or that the brake shoes were dust. Changing both hasn't made a difference. :confused:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Maybe the PO of Orleans moved the brake drum arm forward (don't know why they would have, but it's a possibility) so now it might need moved back to the original position?
I'd try comparing the length of the new cable to the one on your '92 and see if ya did receive the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Hey Cindy... Just went out for a look see on mine... the cable ( in pic one ) does not look like it is down all the way in the bracket... and the part it hooks to seems a little high. Is there another hole to mount to that will bring it down a bit? Mine is just about flush with the frame. you might try taking it back out and cleaning out both ends on the bike where the cable mounts.. it might not be seating all the way.... maybe both ends.
Other than that I hope you get it figured out! Good luck with her!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Check your brake pedel, Make sure the "." is lined up with the "_" the brake pedel is adjustable on the splined shaft

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh, oh - I may have moved it when I cleaned it up the first time...no, wait, the cable was a problem from the outset, so I may have rebuilt it the way it was, which was wrong (kinda like the reed valves - bassackwards). Anybody have a pic of how that arm should look pre-cabled? How far back should it be?

Wmkwood - say again where I can adjust the brake pedal play at the..splines?

Thanks, and I'll post again once I've pulled the wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks, folks, I think I got it. Compared to the earlier pic, this is closer to a 90-degree angle. Still have extra cable (or so it seems to me), but the feel on the brake is much better. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
glad you have it resolved. i was just about to say that the brake acutator arm (or what its proper name?) was put on the drum way to forward.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Good thing this thread came up... My brake has looked the way yours did before since I got it - always thought it looked a bit funny. Just what I need though... another project to piss my wife off (sice I get obsessed).

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thing this thread came up... My brake has looked the way yours did before since I got it - always thought it looked a bit funny. Just what I need though... another project to piss my wife off (sice I get obsessed).
He he - it was actually a lot simpler than I thought. Loosen the cable all the way, and pull it out completely from the cam lever. Then loosen the bolt that holds the cam lever to the anchor pin/bolt. Pull the cam lever off the bolt, and then reinsert the lever so that its starting point is further back (greater than 90 degrees). That bolt has ridges in it, so you can position the lever just about anywhere on it. Then take the cable and see where the lever would sit if you rethreaded the cable back on. It should sit at 90 degrees or so with the cable threaded back on, the adjusting nut in less than an inch or so, and the brake pedal freeplay set right. I had to pull the lever on and off a few times, repositioning each time, 'til it settled as pictured.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts