Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK for the life of me,I aint no lightweight (220) but I cant seem to get this bike on the center stand!! I have tried before a few times...no success.I am worried I will drop/damage my Vulcan.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I had problems too, mostly because I don't weigh much and that I can't bend to pull up.
I had a car ramp I'd back it up on, grab the brake before it rolled down, and got it up stomping in the center stands food tab.
I've heard others have rolled the rear wheel over a 2X6 to obtain the same thing. On my FJR I fashioned a pipe that fit over the foot lever giving me 30" of extra leverage that worked like a charm.

Most are afraid of dropping the bike....get a freind to stand on the other side, stand the bike up straight so BOTH feet of the centerstand touch down as you push it down with your left foot, and at the same time using your right hand (left hand is on the left grip) grab the rail behind the shock and pull up and back. You are trying to roll the bike backwards more than lift up here.
Have your friend do the same on their side (excluding the foot on the stand of course)
Once you do it a few times with help you should be able to do it alone. Unless you have my issues ;)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I use my right foot on the stand and put all my weight there <---<< the trick.

Left hand on the left grip, just to balance.

Right hand in the triangle of the frame, just under the seat about midway, lift and balance.

Concentrate on getting all your weight onto the centerstand.

edit: My friend is about 150lbs and sets it up for me when my back is parched out.

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Trick is to not try and lift it. Try to push the center stand through the floor with you foot while hanging on to the bike.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car ramp...possible,2x6...possible.Friend...aint got none. Keep 'em coming!!Thanks!!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Easy peasy

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I just welded up a handle to grab to get my KLR650 on the center stand. The Vulcan was actually easier to get up. They wanted $40 for this little handle. Ridiculous. Anyway, one you get the VN on the stand once or twice, it will be second nature.

·
2002 vn 750
18 Posts
Trick is to make sure that both feet of the center stand are on the ground basically allowing the bike to balance on them. Then as others have said push down on stand while lifting bike by handle under seat. Very little strength needed if bike is balanced on the stand. I usually do it while still sitting in the bike. Once you feel the balance it really will be easy. It’s all technique and not strength.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I use my right foot on the stand and put all my weight there <---<< the trick.

Left hand on the left grip, just to balance.

Right hand in the triangle of the frame, just under the seat about midway, lift and balance.

Concentrate on getting all your weight onto the centerstand.

edit: My friend is about 150lbs and sets it up for me when my back is parched out.

This is the correct method...just put you HEEL on the center stand and push down while pulling the handlebars back towards you slightly.

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
Success....!!!Now its rainin like hell....so no fix,for now.(Stator/Rectifier)
I have the same issue getting it up on the center stand. Thanks for the ramp suggestion, Knifemaker! I'll be trying that trick this weekend!

On a different note, I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with rusty rotors! I don't have a garage, and I do keep it covers religiously, but it still gets damps, so I'm constantly rubbing out surface rust. If plans go as intended I'll be building a medium-size shed with a ramp this summer so I won't have to go another winter with it parked outside. If plans don't work out, I'm going to find a friend with some garage space, or rent a storage unit so it doesn't have to sit outside again for months in the cold and snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just read this forum and was for the first time in a long time I was able to get the bike on the center stand without issue. Followed the stand on left side.. right foot on stand, slightly bent etc. Worked perfectly

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm probably bigger than most, but what I do is push the stand down with my right foot as far as it will go, which will lift the bike slighty and let it roll back. Then I will pull the bike back towards me. Takes a second but I find that rocking it usually will give me enough force to kick out the stand while the bike is rolling backwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts