Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to what others might think a good price would be to have lowering brackets built for our bikes? I know a guy that will do them in his garage with his plasma cutter, with his costs of materials and powering supplies what would you all think is a good price to pay for these would be? I was personally thinking that I would give him $70 per set myself, is this to high of a price or about what you all would pay for them as well? I seen a post on here of someone paying $140 for theirs which I thought was a mighty high price to pay myself and thus how I came up with offering him $70. So whatcha all think?

Peace :beerchug:

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they wont work on our 750's (Look at an 800's rear and you'll see what I mean). I wish we could just order and purchase our brackets but no one makes them (we own a very unpopular bike), that I am sure of..... so they must be fabricated for each and every pair and for doing so the cost is going to jump thats why I was thinking $70 was a fair amount, being they want $53 for some thats mass produced...I dunno, what do you all think?

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
881 Posts
that depends on your friends resources, ect. you need to figure out what type of material/thickness, carbon, stainless, aluminium? rough cut, finished, polished, painted? dose he plan on buying a sheet or dose he get free steel scraps at work like i do, there are some variables. maby you can have him work up a prototype and post a pic. just tossing in my 2 cents.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that depends on your friends resources, ect. you need to figure out what type of material/thickness, carbon, stainless, aluminium? rough cut, finished, polished, painted? dose he plan on buying a sheet or dose he get free steel scraps at work like i do, there are some variables. maby you can have him work up a prototype and post a pic. just tossing in my 2 cents.
He will be useing 1/4" carbon, finished and painted. He's going to set up a jig to insure a precise cut. Once he has completed the set you bet I'll post a pic of them.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
He will be useing 1/4" carbon, finished and painted. He's going to set up a jig to insure a precise cut. Once he has completed the set you bet I'll post a pic of them.
Just curious, Carbon Steel or Carbon Fiber? :rockon:

·
Registered
80 Posts
what's a good price???

I had a set made for my 750 and the guy charged $85 for the set
made of 3/8" aluminium. I had to cut the top down for the shock to
fit. The plans did not allow for this. Also I had the axle lenghened 3/4"
to alow for the thickness of the brackets. Another $53.
So my answer to your question for a fair price is, what ever you feel you will pay without regrets.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
Why do you lower the bikes?
Charlie

·
Registered
387 Posts
Some people like a lower profile look to the bike.
Some people have short legs. Easier to lower the bike instead of lengthening the legs. :)

·
Registered
881 Posts
Grind a bit on the right side swing arm, and use a small round file to enlongate the castle nut hole to line up with the hole in the axle. Run the cotter key in and you are done.
thanks for the info. if i ever get a larger bike i would like to drop my vulcan down for my girlfriend. i'd like to keep it cause its a great bike & looks pretty good. without looking at it i wonder if enlarging the cotter pin hole a little would work?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
thanks for the info. if i ever get a larger bike i would like to drop my vulcan down for my girlfriend. i'd like to keep it cause its a great bike & looks pretty good. without looking at it i wonder if enlarging the cotter pin hole a little would work?
You could work both the axle hole and the castle nut. That may give you enough to not have to grind the swing arm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts