Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

As motorcyclists, we’re all too familiar with car drivers merging into our lanes, seemingly blind to the fact we’re occupying the lane they are trying to merge into. But what’s proper etiquette when a two-lane road turns into one? Which order should vehicles in a double-file line let each other into a single-file line? Whatever your answer, it’s probably not what this woman was thinking as she comes from behind this motorcyclist and co-occupies the lane he’s in. He then gets upset, honks the horn a few times, gives the driver a quick lesson in merging, calls her a choice expletive then rides on.

Normally that’s where a story like this would end. Instead, he spots a police officer up ahead, flags him down, and sticks him on the car driver.
Read more about the What Would You Have Done: Lane Merging Edition at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
In battles between a bike and any heavier vehicle, the bike always loses. Yield! Evade!

Check the grin on her face. She thinks it's all funny.

Right-of-way is to be given, not taken. She's in the wrong, but you'll lose any contest involving vehicle mass.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
After watching a couple more times ... She's still wrong, but the rider doesn't keep up with traffic, leaves a huge gap with the box truck, then tries to close the door when she begins to move for the gap. Almost inviting an incident.

He's also contesting the space against a 3000lb car with a 3-400lb bike.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,196 Posts
She visually saw him.I've been there recently,but in a single lane.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Her lane is the merging lane so she has to yield to the traffic in the lane that she is merging into, which she didn't.
This situation is also a little bit of the motorcyclist's fault also. He was looking back and forth at her the whole time so he was fully aware of what she was doing. The lady was pushing ahead of him so he should’ve just slowed down and pulled back. Being a motorcyclist, you have to yield to everybody else even if you have the right of way because you’ll lose every time if there is a collision. If you drive like nobody sees you then you won’t be surprised when they actually don’t see you or just don’t want to.

Reactions: gidaeon

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,196 Posts
But if my foot accidentally falls off the footpeg and leaves a dent when I'm "yielding"
"Sorry officer, my foot slipped as I panicked trying to get outta the way"oops;)

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I think his Go Pro is going to get him into a wreck some day. He's trying too hard to make movies.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,196 Posts
I think his Go Pro is going to get him into a wreck some day. He's trying too hard to make movies.
Maybe possible the video is staged...

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
But if my foot accidentally falls off the footpeg and leaves a dent when I'm "yielding"
"Sorry officer, my foot slipped as I panicked trying to get outta the way"oops;)
Here's what happens when you try to kick a car while on a motorcycle.

You'll probably get more dents than the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts