Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my bike some 8 or 9 yrs ago The guy broke the center stand off. Yes, brackets tore from frame. I still dont know how it happened as all he did was put it on the stand. He used it all the time instead of the kick stand. So, this winter I plan on taking the engine out. At this time I was thinking of having the brackets welded back on. I never use the damn thing, but I hate anything that is incomplete. How many use theirs?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I use mine everyday. Where I park at work I prefer to put it up on the center stand rather than the side stand so I can let it warm up the last 5 mins. or so of the work day. That way as soon as I clock out, I can just jump on and ride. I also always use it when I fill up to ensure I truely get the tank full.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I use mine a couple times a week for checking the oil, plus when I wash it I use it so I can spin the back tire and get all the way around it easily!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I never use the damn thing, but I hate anything that is incomplete. How many use theirs?
Well if you never use it why would you want to put it back on...??? I either did not put mine up or maybe not all the way and it dropped down and wrecked my 06 and totaled it, messed up my shoulder a bit also...
If I didn't use it I would leave it off, and eliminate the chances of it causing a crash...
I am beginning to hate electronic safety switches, they kill your brain, then fail...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Old Dog, I thought your problem was the sidestand. Think he's talking about the centerstand.

Very handy for changing or repairing the rear tire, checking oil level, doing spline lube, taking a little less space in the garage, etc., etc. Glad mine is there.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I use mine all the time except just parking while on a ride. As mentioned before it is great for servicing things like oil, tires, and cleaning. Where I have 2 750's it takes less space (as flite said) to park them in my small storage shed. Many many uses for the stand. I also use it when fueling up to get the tank as full as possible for those extra few miles between fuel-ups.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I had a hard time putting mine up on the center stand yesterday :-/ How do you guys do it so often?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had a hard time putting mine up on the center stand yesterday :-/ How do you guys do it so often?
One hand on the handle bar and the other on the passenger peg. While pushing with your foot pull up and back on the peg.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Someone posted a video here of a guy doing it. Scary at first, because this is the biggest bike I've had and had never put one on a centerstand before. Place your left hand on the left handlebar. There is no major force on the left hand, it's just there to steady the bike. With right hand, grab the chrome fender bar on rear fender. Place right foot on centerstand tab, and as it meets the ground, press down HARD :wow: with your right leg and lift with the right hand. Might want to have an assistant available to steady the bike until you've done it a time or two. Probably not needed, but a confidence builder nonetheless.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I only ride on weekends, so I store the bike on the center stand during the week. Also, it helps reduce the 'coffee grinder', with checking the oil level and spinning the tires to check their air pressure. Less chance of knocking the bike over as well.

·
Dave
95 Posts
I use mine all the time for ALL the reasons listed. Its one of the plus factors I used when choosing this bike. I've had bikes for 40 years (always had dirt bikes, a few sabbaticals from road bikes) and all the road bikes I've had, had a center stand as I remember. Even my KZ900 many years ago, I think......but I've gotten old......:doh:

Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Then only thing the centerstand is good for is if you are removing any of the wheels, or doing work on the suspension.

They are handy to have if you got a flat out on the road somewhere but are largely usesless as the bike does not need to have its drive chain adjusted.

There are alternete ways to support a bike if you are doing work on it, so unless you plan on selling the bike , Not sure it be worth the trouble to re-install a stand.

I personally like having the option there myself to use it if needed.

KM

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I like having the center stand, but if it broke off it might not get put back on. The side stand is fine 99% of the time. IMHO.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
I see it as the stand is on the bike for all these repairs and conveniences but if it wasn't, you would have to shell out some $$$ to get a bike lift to do what the center stand does which cost you nothing.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
left hand on the handgrip, right hand on the grabbar on the seat. stand on the centerstand tab hard while pulling up with your right hand. be sure to be on level ground. after a couple time you'll pop it right up there with no problems!

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your inputs. My old bike had one. Used it on my father in laws driveway once and the darn thing sunk in. Talk about a real mess to get out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I put a 170/80-15 tire on the rear and had to take mine off. It now has it's own spot on my shelf. The only time I temporarily put it back on is when I pulled the motor or rear tire. Most of the time if needed I use my HF bike jack. If I lost it I would never miss it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Someone posted a video here of a guy doing it. Scary at first, because this is the biggest bike I've had and had never put one on a centerstand before. Place your left hand on the left handlebar. There is no major force on the left hand, it's just there to steady the bike. With right hand, grab the chrome fender bar on rear fender. Place right foot on centerstand tab, and as it meets the ground, press down HARD :wow: with your right leg and lift with the right hand. Might want to have an assistant available to steady the bike until you've done it a time or two. Probably not needed, but a confidence builder nonetheless.
Thanks! (and baldy as well). I actually looked up a video about it on youtube after I had posted here and I went outside to try it out... it was a LOT easier than how I was trying before. Last time two people were helping me and we had trouble getting it on the center stand... after the video I got it on the center stand by myself in like 20 seconds. I do wish it had that foot hold on the center stand on both sides though... they just didn't think about people whose left arm is stronger than the right arm. Also, if it had it on both sides, two people could put it on the center stand in like 3 seconds and not even make much of an effort.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks! (and baldy as well). I actually looked up a video about it on youtube after I had posted here and I went outside to try it out... it was a LOT easier than how I was trying before. Last time two people were helping me and we had trouble getting it on the center stand... after the video I got it on the center stand by myself in like 20 seconds. I do wish it had that foot hold on the center stand on both sides though... they just didn't think about people whose left arm is stronger than the right arm. Also, if it had it on both sides, two people could put it on the center stand in like 3 seconds and not even make much of an effort.
No prob. I've found it is more foot pressure then arm anyways but if it was set up as you said it would look like it had outriggers. lol All bikes are set up for left side control but you will get the hang of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts