Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: Since my '89 VN750 didn't come with the tool set that they apparently come with, I have no idea what tools should be in it. So...what tools should I collect and put in the tail box to carry around?

Thanks!

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
You can buy the original set at cheapcycleparts.com

·
Registered
707 Posts
i think you need a 10mm socket for the seat to get to the battery, a philipshead and a flat head screwdriver, socket for the spark plugs, rachet...... anything else you think you will need or want.... i also have 2 different tire gauges and a small continuity tester in there... i dont take many far trips so when i do i actually throw one of my tool kits in a book bag so i have more than the basics...

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
i carry a 10 12 14mmand 18mm deep 3/8 drive 6,8,10mm 1/4 drive a ratchet that extends longer and a ratchet that has both 1/4 and 3/8... a couple 1/4 and 3/8 extensions the wobbly kind, a 8 10 12 14 17mm open box end wrenches i also carry a vom a couple screw drivers and a pair of vice grips and a crecent wrench it all fits in a little bag i keep in my saddle bag in that bag is also jb weld zip ties duct tape bugee cords and a couple wratchet straps i carry in the same saddle bag... with my spare helmet...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The tools in the Kawi set are notoriously cheap. I`m looking at the set that came with my `91 vn a year ago. It contains the following:
sparkplug wrench
1/4" drive ratchet wrench with a 2", and 4" long extensions, and a 10mm regular socket
1 pair of 5 3/8" long, slip joint pliers
2 open end wrenches: a 14 mm/17 mm, and a 10 mm/12 mm combination
a 3 1/2" long #3 Philips head screwdriver bit, (with no handle. I`m not sure if I ever found a use for this bit on the bike last summer or not??)

I`m adding a few tools as I go along, namely:
a 6" adjustable crescent wrench
5 1/2" visegrip pliers
5 or 6" set of wire sidecutter pliers
a better set of 6", insulated, slip joint pliers
an accurate tire pressure gauge
4" flat blade, and 4" Philips #2 blade screwdrivers
small skinny flat blade screwdriver for scrapeing, cleaning, poking etc.
a washer thick enough to fit the groove on the side cover screws. Grind one edge flat to use as a screwdriver blade on same.
10' of 16 gauge automotive wire
two or three electrical tape roll ends. (10' or so on each roll, easier to use and can flatten roll for more compact storage.)
a set of homemade motorcycle booster cables. (8-10' of 14 or 16 gauge lamp/extension cord, two sets of 3" long battery charger clamps, four-3" long pieces of heat shrink tubing.)
6' of clear plastic siphon hose, 5/16" ID
one or two pieces of small diameter rope or cord, 10-15' long.
(I think we have some 5 or 6 mm allen head bolts on the vn too. I`ll eventually throw in some allen wrenches to match.)
Swiss army knife
pencil and paper
I`m still adding things, and both bigrep and seebeeare`s kits mention items that I will eventually carry too.

If you don`t have a Kawi sparkplug wrench, you will want a thinwall Craftsman 18mm, deepset socket to remove sparkplugs from the tube. A regular deepset or sparkplug socket is usually too thick to fit in the tube. I suggest you take a plug and tube with you to check fit, when you buy socket.

I suggest using the tools you carry on the bike to do your regular maintenance. You are then familiar with what you have, and how to use them. You can add tools as you identify a need, and also learn what to do, and how to do it. There is no reason to carry a bunch of tools that you don`t know how to use.

If your tools won`t get you home, then it`s time to reach for the cell phone. Hope this helps. Hoss

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
The tools in the Kawi set are notoriously cheap. I`m looking at the set that came with my `91 vn a year ago. It contains the following:
sparkplug wrench
1/4" drive ratchet wrench with a 2", and 4" long extensions, and a 10mm regular socket
1 pair of 5 3/8" long, slip joint pliers
2 open end wrenches: a 14 mm/17 mm, and a 10 mm/12 mm combination
a 3 1/2" long #3 Philips head screwdriver bit, (with no handle. I`m not sure if I ever found a use for this bit on the bike last summer or not??)

I`m adding a few tools as I go along, namely:
a 6" adjustable crescent wrench
5 1/2" visegrip pliers
5 or 6" set of wire sidecutter pliers
a better set of 6", insulated, slip joint pliers
an accurate tire pressure gauge
4" flat blade, and 4" Philips blade screwdrivers
small skinny flat blade screwdriver for scrapeing, cleaning, poking etc.
a washer thick enough to fit the groove on the side cover screws. Grind one edge flat to use as a screwdriver blade on same.
10' of 16 gauge automotive wire
two or three electrical tape roll ends. (10' or so on each roll, easier to use and can flatten roll for more compact storage.)
a set of homemade motorcycle booster cables. (8-10' of 14 or 16 gauge lamp/extension cord, two sets of 3" long battery charger clamps, four-3" long pieces of heat shrink tubeing.)
6' of clear plastic siphon hose, 5/16" ID
one or two pieces of small diameter rope or cord, 10-15' long.
(I think we have some 5 or 6 mm allen head bolts on the vn too. I`ll eventually throw in some allen wrenches to match.)
Swiss army knife
pencil and paper

If you don`t have a Kawi sparkplug wrench, you will want a thinwall Craftsman 18mm, deepset socket to remove sparkplugs from the tube. A regular deepset or sparkplug socket is usually too thick to fit in the tube.

I suggest using the tools you carry on the bike to do your regular maintenance. You are then familiar with what you have, and how to use them. You can add tools as you identify a need, and also learn what to do, and how to do it. There is no reason to carry a bunch of tools that you don`t know how to use.

If your tools won`t get you home, then it`s time to reach for the cell phone. Hope this helps. Hoss

with all that I think you could put my stator in on the side of the road!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I really like the booster cable idea.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
with all that I think you could put my stator in on the side of the road!
I carry a lot more in my pick-up and the Louisville tandem I drive at work. It`s a long way between towns out here, and being prepared for self rescue is usually quicker and more reliable than other options.

If you want a comprehensive tool kit, check out the Ironbutt riders site. One guy there carries a spare piston for his Nomad on cross country trips. He says he can install it in a campground if he has to.

I`m not advocating that we need to carry anything this extensive. Carry what you need, to do the repairs that you know what to do and are comfortable with. You can fit a lot into a motorcycle toolbag.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
i noticed the washer for the side covers..... i use the back of my key...
My key has a rubber encased head, so it won`t work for that. But I suppose other keys on my other keyring would. I also have a purpose made washer shaped screwdriver with a tapered edge to fit various sized slotted screws. It is 1" diameter and fits slots from 0.030"- 0.090". It fits on a keyring or coinpurse in pocket. Got it at www.leevalleytools.com .

Direct link to pocket screwdriver: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32215&cat=1,43411,43417

I guess an important skill is to be able to think outside the box, and use what you have at hand to fix or make what you need.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
i wanted to add a must combination of tools,
a gas powered soldering iron with tourch attacment , shrink wrap elec tape solder and a small spool of automotive wire ... been carrieng these around for yeas and are a life saver for emergancy roadride elec repairs the soldering gun is about the size of a sharpee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts