Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Vulcan 700
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some help, I figured out that that my motor is shot, so I have a used one with 5k miles on the way to me now. Within reason, on a budget, what preventative things should I plan on doing while the motor is out of the bike?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
With some help, I figured out that that my motor is shot, so I have a used one with 5k miles on the way to me now. Within reason, on a budget, what preventative things should I plan on doing while the motor is out of the bike?
Can't think of much for a 5000 mile engine, but test the stator. You can't do the AC voltage but you can do the other tests.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
You might also want to cut the side case while engine is out to facilitate stator removal (a.k.a. tuxedo mod) without having to pull the engine again. It's only a matter of time before the stator fails on these bikes.

Reactions: Vulcan_Frank_750

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,419 Posts
Clean up and paint frame

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

Reactions: dirtrack650

·
Registered
886 Posts
Check the dampers and clean the stator if it is dirty but I personally would not do the tux mod. Maybe clean the carbs too but other than that a 5000mi engine should be Cherry

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
The ONLY way I’d do the tux mod is to drop the cash on a TOC machined stator plate and insert. It’s not cheap but there’s also no possibility for issues. But in all reality if you just dropped the cash on a new motor then you’d probably not want to dump more cash.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,138 Posts
Grease the drive shaft splines.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Old dried out seals. Replace the shift shaft and clutch shaft seals. Cheap and easy. Clean all the electrical contacts. After you know the stator is good, hardware the stator wires bypassing the plug. Check compression. Set the coil pickups. Say a prayer?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
You might also want to cut the side case while engine is out to facilitate stator removal (a.k.a. tuxedo mod) without having to pull the engine again. It's only a matter of time before the stator fails on these bikes.
I'm here to second that. I just got my bike back from the shop, where they pulled the engine out to perform the stator replacement. This tuxedo mod seems straightforward to do and will save you a lot of hassle in the future when the stator craps out.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm here to second that. I just got my bike back from the shop, where they pulled the engine out to perform the stator replacement. This tuxedo mod seems straightforward to do and will save you a lot of hassle in the future when the stator craps out.
Too many possibilities to introduce failure points to reasonably recommend it on such a new engine. I’d recommend against it

Unfortunately this thread is spiraling into a jumbled mess of repairing things that aren’t broken, OP tread with caution. Tux mod and changing seals don’t strike me as necessary at all, or even well advised. Not meaning to rain on anybody’s parade but keep it concise people, don’t overwhelm the OP with excess advice.

Inspect dampers, inspect stator, install motor if they are not damaged. Those are the only 2 which need the motor pulled to do.

Blindly recommending modifications or parts replacements is ill advised.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
The stator is going to fail. That's just a reality for all VN750 riders at some point. Replacing it will require pulling the engine, so IMO, now is a good time to do the tuxedo mod while the cover plate can be modified while it's off the the engine. That avoids having to pull the engine when the stator fails down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Too many possibilities to introduce failure points to reasonably recommend it on such a new engine. I’d recommend against it

Unfortunately this thread is spiraling into a jumbled mess of repairing things that aren’t broken, OP tread with caution. Tux mod and changing seals don’t strike me as necessary at all, or even well advised. Not meaning to rain on anybody’s parade but keep it concise people, don’t overwhelm the OP with excess advice.

Inspect dampers, inspect stator, install motor if they are not damaged. Those are the only 2 which need the motor pulled to do.

Blindly recommending modifications or parts replacements is ill advised.
I agree with your point to not overwhelm the OP, but I have to say I don't disagree with the notion of preparing yourself for a stator failure with this bike. I got my bike with 18k miles on it which I didn’t consider a lot on the clock. 8 months later I had to put it in the shop to get a new stator which carried a 4 digit price tag for parts and labor. The OP has the ability and know how to work on the bike if he’s going to put a new engine in it so it’s worth putting it out there. I’m not a machinist so that’s why I recommended looking into the TOC plates/kit. If the stator goes in the future you’re only on the hook for the new part and not another complete tear down.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, the only thing I might do is adjust the pickup coil gap but I probably wouldn't bother. It's a great adjustment but I only really did it because I was already in there to do the tux mod. Don't do the tux mod preemptively though in my opinion. The whole point of it is its not terribly hard to do with the motor in the bike. If you have a stator failure in the future, I personally think it's the way to go. My real recommendation would be get a shinidingen r/r and do the blue wire and two wire mods if you haven't already.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Doing the tuxedo mod with the engine installed usually results in lots of metal shavings inside the crankcase.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts