Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what will get these clean and shiny without messing them up.

Attachments

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Use some tire cleaner or foaming engine cleaner to get the grime off. If you are changing fluids soon I'd just pull them and shine them up with a buffing wheel.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
0000 steel wool and a lot of elbow grease might spray it with some mothers quick detailer while you are hitting it with the steel wool

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was hoping they would shine again lol, i was ready to try to find some but the ones on ebay don't look any better

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
The insets on the covers are soft aluminum. They are glued to the cover.
Your can pry them off, or polish them....make sure none of the plastic film is still stuck on them and polish them with Simichrome paste.

I pried mind off so polishing was needed. Just some break cleaner to remove the glue.

https://www.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490023203/in/set-72157602277630929/
Or
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490023203/in/set-72157602277630929/

Once you pry them off, you can't put them back on BTW..

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I wet sanded mine in four steps from 320-2000 grit, then polished with aluminum rouge on a cloth wheel with a die grinder. It went pretty quick, the wet sanding is about like washing, doesn't take long.

If you go this route, the best trick is to use water to wipe away the black streaking that forms, versus trying to buff it all off.

Needs waxed after polishing.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i will work on them tomorrow supposed to rain so if i can't ride it might as well shine it. i should have painted the engine while i had it out for the stator. may do that after riding season is over. plan on doing a tear down and complete cleaning of everything inside.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I uses Mother's aluminum polish and they shine like mirrors.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...a budget option, is to take a cotton rag, wet it, sprinkle some baking soda onto it (small,circular motion)....its one of the finest abrasives there is....I use that to clean the blueing from chrome pipes....I wipe the pipes first with laquer thinner...no need to do that on the side covers....

Grit-wise, baking soda is like a 4000 grit.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good thing is then they can be saved. I like the baking soda idea. i use it to clean a lot of stuff anyway. wife will be at work kids at school so I'll have some free time before i go to work. hopefully it will stop raining so i can ride to work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts