Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went in to get some some Moly60 at the Honda dealership today. $24.22!!!
Nope, I`m not going to pay that much for rear spline lube, I tell the sales guy.
He says their service department uses the "BelRay" synthetic grease for splines.
It comes in 16 oz tubs and sells for $9.99 + tax. (Same tub sells for $7.99 at Yami/Kaw dealership).

Then went to the Kaw shop to price out some stuff for a fork oil change and seal replacement. Neither dealer had 15W BelRay fork oil. They had other weight but not 15W. They did have 15W in "Motul" brand. Is this a good brand?

I asked what their service shop used for rear spline lube. Sales guy first tells me they use some Yamaha labled grease in a 16 oz tub.
I tell him Kaw recommends high moly grease for the job, and there is no moly mentioned on the label.

Sales guy goes back to shelf and takes 2-3 minutes to come back with a tub of the same of BelRay grease that the Honda shop supposedly uses. (I don`t trust what sales guys tell me any more). I tell him it doesn`t say moly either.

Now he goes to ask the service manger what they use. He comes back with a big tube of Lubriplate Assembly Lube.
I say it doesn`t have any moly on the label either.

Calling any professional mechanics,--How long will Assembly Lube stand up to abuse in the spline coupling? I thought it was just a temporary lube to be used when reassambling an engine, and it more or less dissolves and blends in with the engine oil as soon as the engine warms up the first time.

I am disappointed, but not surprised.:(

So what did I buy for the spline lube?
A 90 gm tube of moly based CV Joint lube from NAPA for $3.61.
I don`t know what percentage of moly it contains, but almost certainly less than 60%. I figure my rear tire has ~3,000 miles of life left in it. I will try the CV joint lube now and see how it looks in 3,000 miles when a new tire is due. I figure even wheel bearing grease would last for 3 K miles. I will call this an experiment and my splines will be the guinea pig.:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
man!! It's stories like this that make me darn glad I'm doing my own wrenching and found this forum to do stuff the right way!! The Belray rep was probably in last week and posted a spiff bonus to the sales guy to move some product!! LOL!

I haven't looked OlHoss, but I'm sure in some thread somewhere here..Ron probably stated what to use specifically. Wouldn't think you'd need to torture your splines unnecessarily. A lot can happen in 3k miles.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Any grease is better than none, and the Bel Ray stuff is not bad... Even if it lacks moly.

There is a company called Guard Dog, or something like that, who sell a moly grease that I think is actually better than the Honda stuff.

You can also blow more cash and use Krytox.... the same high temp grease they use in Indy cars...for like 30 bucks an ounce.

If I can find links to these I will post them.

http://guarddogmolylubricants.com/gd570.shtml

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HWG92I/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/189-4392986-6986530

KM

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
It's Guard Dog Moly Paste. Mine has 73% moly and three years ago cost around $35 for a small jar. Guessing it will be enough for four spline lubes.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have my rear diff out for seal replacements at the moment. Hope the seals come in Friday. I got the Moly Graphite grease from NAPA for the splines. A guy that runs a local repair shop told me to try it, that I'd like it. He's been mechanicing on bikes for 28 years, guess he's learned a few things by now. Anyone used it yet that can give a 'for real' feed back?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my rear diff out for seal replacements at the moment. Hope the seals come in Friday. I got the Moly Graphite grease from NAPA for the splines. A guy that runs a local repair shop told me to try it, that I'd like it. He's been mechanicing on bikes for 28 years, guess he's learned a few things by now. Anyone used it yet that can give a 'for real' feed back?
Is there a moly content percentage listed on the package?
How many grams/ounces in the tube?
Price?

I`m going to phone NAPA back tomorrow to ask about this product.
If it is better spline lube for a reasonable price I will exchange my cvj lube.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I purchased the honda molly grease from the local honda dealership for less than $10 :smiley_th. Found out that my splines had been lubed with some clear lubricant.
So during this tire change, the splines were done (by me) :smiley_th. Last summer had it in the shop for the 6k mile services (supposed to lube splines) :doh:.

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
I used the moly graphite from napa last year when I changed the differential. Put a new tire on this spring so I pulled the diff to re lube the splines and after 4000 miles I have to say the grease had held very well. Had to dig a lot of the old stuff out to re apply the new grease. IMHO it's a good choice.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I used the moly graphite from napa last year when
.............. IMHO it's a good choice.
Thanks for the reply Randy. Graphite is alway a good choice on metal. Hoss, I looked at the tube and it didn't say the amount of Moly in it. Tube does say 360degree drop point minimum temp but the website says 550 degree. Lithium 12 Hydroxy Stearate, N.L.G.I. No: Grade 2, Excellent water resistance, Timken OK Load: 40 lbs. 14 oz tube, 4.99 plus tax at my local dealer. I don't speak grease specs so I can't give you a clue on what all that means. It does say that it " establishes a fine micron plating on all working surfaces" and to be sure to remove all other grease so it can establish it's base.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I just bought Honda Moly60 at my Honda dealer for $8.95.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Maybe I just cheaped out, but I got the SuperTech Moly grease from Wal-Mart. It only came in the tubes for a grease gun instead of the tubs, but it's less than $4 and should last for half a dozen lube procedures.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Maybe I just cheaped out, but I got the SuperTech Moly grease from Wal-Mart. It only came in the tubes for a grease gun instead of the tubs, but it's less than $4 and should last for half a dozen lube procedures.
If you don't mind checking it every 8,000 miles, it should be OK.
The moly content is very low in that.

Not sure why the Honda stuff costs so much up there..... Another reason to move south man.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Randy. Graphite is alway a good choice on metal. Hoss, I looked at the tube and it didn't say the amount of Moly in it. Tube does say 360degree drop point minimum temp but the website says 550 degree. Lithium 12 Hydroxy Stearate, N.L.G.I. No: Grade 2, Excellent water resistance, Timken OK Load: 40 lbs. 14 oz tube, 4.99 plus tax at my local dealer. I don't speak grease specs so I can't give you a clue on what all that means. It does say that it " establishes a fine micron plating on all working surfaces" and to be sure to remove all other grease so it can establish it's base.
Lithium *soap* is the base
NLGI is the National Lubricating Grease Institute, which grades greases according to consistency.
These range from #000 to # 6, with #6 being the most solid.

A typical multipurpose grease is NLGI #2.
For specific applications equiptment manufacturers may require an additive such as molybdenum disulfide (MOS2, or moly)

Also recommended for some applications is an anti-seize lubricant.
This "quote" is a paraphrase taken from chapter 1 of the Clymer manual.

(FYI, molybdenum is pronounced MOL-ib-den-um)

One more independent mc shop polled on what he uses to lube the rear splines. WHEEL BEARING GREASE. He allowed as how my cvj lube with some moly, would be a better choice.

Phoned around to 4 automotive parts suppliers this morning looking for graphite moly grease. No one has it here. Have not checked Wally World.

Talked to one guy at a parts supplier who is a rider and works on motorcycles, but only chain drives up to now. He was incredulous when I told him the Kaw/Yamaha shop in town uses Lubriplate Assembly Grease for the spline lubes. He says the same thing I believe, it won`t stand up to the heat, will melt and run out or evaporate. Not good.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
All I know is I lubed my splines roughly 20,000 miles ago & last I checked them (earlier this season) there is still plenty of moly there doing it's job. Gordon, there's easily 3 or 4 spline lubes worth of product in the tube. It's the only one you'll probably buy. Damb those canadian taxes! lol

·
Banned
431 Posts
Or get it on the internet, shouldn't cost more than five bucks to ship and the honda moly should be less than 10 bucks

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was talking to John at bike night a couple of hours ago. He was a mechanic at the Honda shop for about 11 years, and said they too used Lubriplate assemly lube for the rear splines, contrary to what the 20 yo sales guy at the parts counter told me yesterday. No one seems to believe hi moly grease is necessary for this procedure.

Does anyone but members of this forum recommend Moly60?? I`m beginning to wonder.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No one seems to believe hi moly grease is necessary for this procedure.

Does anyone but members of this forum recommend Moly60?? I`m beginning to wonder.
X2 on that one. LOL The whole purpose of the high temp grease is to keep it from slinging out of the joint as easy as the parts heat up. Any good grade high temp grease will work,,, although I would use one with a good moisture resistants if you are from the South. After all, the heat and humidity will peel paint. You should see the grease oos out of my grease gun while it is laying on the self during summer months.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
You guys sure know your lubes. I know nothing about the subject, except that I would only add, that for the material handling machinery I work with, if you want a clingy long term high pressure lube, grab the moly. It stays with whatever it touches forever.

For what it would cost to replace the rear end, and the number of times a tube will do the job. I see it as very cheap insurance.

But again ... it is only through a fear response that I will always use it.

Later,

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts