Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look at the wiring diagrams in the Clymer manual, I have found a discrepancy between the JB connectors and the manual... acording to the manual there is a wire to every pin on the 8 terminal connector, I am missing a wire to terminal 7 what color is this wire supposed to be? I have tried tracing it back through the main wiring schematic, but I have all my wires shown there... so process of elimination didn't help... can some one tell me the corresponding wire colors to the pin terminals on the JB.

8 pin connector:

3B
3A

10 Pin Connector

My bike is a 92 and I am wondering if a pre- '89 wiring harness was installed.

Please help b4 i get so frustrated that my wiring harness gets ripped out and thrown to the sidewalk and I build a new harness (that makes sense...lol..)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
you may looking at an older schematic that had the self cancelling turn signals which the 92 doesn't is why tour harnesss may not have that wire ,but I'll go dig out my Haynes and try to look for you,don't throw it in the street yet

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
As I look at the wiring diagrams in the Clymer manual, I have found a discrepancy between the JB connectors and the manual... acording to the manual there is a wire to every pin on the 8 terminal connector, I am missing a wire to terminal 7 what color is this wire supposed to be? I have tried tracing it back through the main wiring schematic, but I have all my wires shown there... so process of elimination didn't help... can some one tell me the corresponding wire colors to the pin terminals on the JB.

8 pin connector:

3B
3A

10 Pin Connector

My bike is a 92 and I am wondering if a pre- '89 wiring harness was installed.

Please help b4 i get so frustrated that my wiring harness gets ripped out and thrown to the sidewalk and I build a new harness (that makes sense...lol..)
man something screwy is going on the haynes manual shows a 9 and 7 pin connector on the JB for 1985 thru 2000 us and canadian with afootnote thatdistance sensor and turh signal control was used only on '85 thru '88 ,Going for the factory manual now,

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
hey slim recount your wires on your schemz,both my manuals are the same and there are wires going to every terminal shown also but both are 9and 7 not 10 an eight wires the connectorrs may be 10 and 8 but that doesn't neccesarily mean they used them all up that may have just been the next standard size connector they could fit the number of wires needed in .I am going to Look for pictures to see if this is right,do you still need the colors? I probably have the same info you do,ok I an looking at Kawasakifactory service manual and in the picture of the JB it only has 7 wires in that * pin connector you may be trying to fix something that ain't broke,holler back if you need me ,neither book gives a clear reason for this.Bean counters is my guess.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
According to the manual... there are 17 wires... I have 16... I am missing a y/g wire which is supposed to go to pin 11, and I have a black/Red wire going into pin 11 ( I don't even see a Black/Red wire supposed to be at the junction box...unless I have a UK wiring harness). Pin 10 is blank (supposed to be according to the manual) and pin 7 Is blank as well (but there is supposed to be a wire there according to the JB diagram.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
According to the manual... there are 17 wires... I have 16... I am missing a y/g wire which is supposed to go to pin 11, and I have a black/Red wire going into pin 11 ( I don't even see a Black/Red wire supposed to be at the junction box...unless I have a UK wiring harness). Pin 10 is blank (supposed to be according to the manual) and pin 7 Is blank as well (but there is supposed to be a wire there according to the JB diagram.
sorry ignore the plug picture and count the wires,in the schematic,there are only i6 and going from left ,to right on the US and Canadian models here are the sixteen colors in the factory book.
10 pin plug

1 bk/w
2 lg
3 g/w
4 bk
5 y/r
6y/g
7 bk/y
8 bl
9 y
8 pin plug

1r/bl
2 bl
3 br/w
4 w
5 w/bl
6 w/r
7w/b

vn 700 a-1 vn750-a1,a2,a3,a4 US and Canada

vn750a5 other than US or Canada

10 pin is the same

8 pin is as follows reading schematic left to right

1r/w
2br/w
3bl
4w
5w/bl
6w/r
7w/bl

it is entirely possible you have a non us harness or bike/man my eyes are crossed now hope this helps some

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
When Washington is finished with Toyota we should direct them to Kawasaki?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahahaha... yea...but no...don't get me started with politics.... Washington has no business being in the auto industry... I even feel that the CAA of 1970 is an infringement on our rights.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
ey slim now that my eyes are not blurring the 10 pin connectors aere different too for the Uk version and from what you are descriibng you need to look at a UK version schematic in a Haynes manual it sounds like your harness.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started looking at both schematics denny... and yes it does look like a UK harness... modded over to a US bike... I am emailing the PO and seeing if he replaced the harness then rewired it... I am about to tell the wife I need a new harness... which she is going to tell me to by wire and connectors...lol

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I started looking at both schematics denny... and yes it does look like a UK harness... modded over to a US bike... I am emailing the PO and seeing if he replaced the harness then rewired it... I am about to tell the wife I need a new harness... which she is going to tell me to by wire and connectors...lol
you have had me scratchin my head and then i started comparing the haynes .in color to the factory book and said hmmmmm! Is it by any chance a UK bike?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not a UK bike, but i think it might have had a UK harness put in... that is why I was wanting somone to look at thier bike and write down the color codes to each pin... that way i could compare an American connector to my connector... I don't really care if my harness is American or UK... but I am building a JB for a customer, but his JB doesn't work on my bike... so... I was thinking its a bad JB... but all the circuits inside the JB test out fine with a MM... So... i now have to either take apart on e of his relays... or figure out a way to make a relay tester (which I am quite capable of... just don't think I have enough alligator clips) so i can tell what relay pin goes to what part of the relay so I can wire up his relays correctly.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
its not a UK bike, but i think it might have had a UK harness put in... that is why I was wanting somone to look at thier bike and write down the color codes to each pin... that way i could compare an American connector to my connector... I don't really care if my harness is American or UK... but I am building a JB for a customer, but his JB doesn't work on my bike... so... I was thinking its a bad JB... but all the circuits inside the JB test out fine with a MM... So... i now have to either take apart on e of his relays... or figure out a way to make a relay tester (which I am quite capable of... just don't think I have enough alligator clips) so i can tell what relay pin goes to what part of the relay so I can wire up his relays correctly.
gotcha

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK i have most of it figured out... someone put a UK harness on my bike than added a wire to terminal 11 that is the wrong color... but I am still missing the wire on terminal 8 on the 8 pin connector... or it might be terminal 7... I am not sure which one because all of the connectors have been tampered with.

Better yet... what are the colors of every terminal on the 8 pin connector... not according to the Manual, but according to a bike...

Top Row from left to right
Bottom Row Left To Right
3B
3A

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
my bike is a92 same as yours should it be wired the same or is it going to be but I would think mine would be different than the one you are working on too ,I don't care to check mine tomorrow on the bike if you need me too.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would be great... and yes even though they are the same years... I think yours will be right... and I know mine is wrong. I am trying to make mine right though.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
that would be great... and yes even though they are the same years... I think yours will be right... and I know mine is wrong. I am trying to make mine right though.
I just wish we had been on the same page today we would have this done ,but now we know what needs done any way so it wasn't a waste.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha ha ha :)) ...no biggie... I have plenty of other projects goin on that a day or two on the wiring harness isn't going to set me back to far... I still can't fire the bike up until the end of March at the soonest.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ha ha ha :)) ...no biggie... I have plenty of other projects goin on that a day or two on the wiring harness isn't going to set me back to far... I still can't fire the bike up until the end of March at the soonest.
I am Glad you feel that way , It was in the fifties Saturday and made it up to 63 degrees today so I decided to look over the bars instead at of at the JB. Tomorrow we will be having rain so I'll Check it out then,Sorry man I couldn't pass up 2 days like that in Feb.:motorcycl:motorcycl =:D

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey no problem man... like I said, I have many other things I am doing as well, and this problem is only one of them many that need fixed...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts