Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Be True, Be Safe!!!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put bags on the bike and I am wondering what should be common items carried in them at all times. Have my own ideas but can always use some other good ideas and the people here always seem to have good ones. Thanks

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sunglasses, various styles of gloves for different temps and conditions, bungee cords, wipes.

DT

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
rain gear 2 different types of eye protection a pop tart and a 2 liter of diet mt dew

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
I always carry a can of Plexus cleaner with a microfiber cloth rubber-banded to it, an extra set of gloves, a clean T shirt, and a sweatshirt.

That's it. I only add things when I need to take them.

Many feel that as long as they have the things on, they should fill them up with stuff, like tools, extra cables , raingear, etc.

Problem here is you start collecting junk and when you really need the space for something, you end up trying to move crap around so it will all fit. To avoid this I try to carry as little as possible and only add stuff as needed for ride I have planned.(And remove stuff at home if not needed)

If I wanted to carry a bunch of crap with me every time I leave home, I'd take the car.

KM

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Mine have a small tool kit thats all

·
Registered
175 Posts
Aside from the tool kit, the primary things I carry on the bike are:

A rope - In case I need to tie anything to the luggage rack.

A dog's choke chain - Despite the relocation brackets, my helmet hooks aren't really in a location compatible with my helmet. The choke chain goes through the D rings, makes the strap effectively longer, and allows the helmet to hang in a location that doesn't tear it up.

A side stand puck - I don't have occasion to need it frequently, but when I do, it's indispensable.

·
2,528 Posts
Extra FUSES and electrical tape are good to have.

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
I carry clear lenses (for night) and a spare pair of shades, a couple of bungies and full finger gloves and IF there is a chance i will be out when it gets cold I throw my jacket in one, and when it starts gettin colder out i will throw my face mask and chaps in there. seems like alot when i am typing it but most of it is small, oh and of course as stated above i try to have electrical tape in all my vehicles...damn handy stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
junk

I always carry a can of Plexus cleaner with a microfiber cloth rubber-banded to it, an extra set of gloves, a clean T shirt, and a sweatshirt.

That's it. I only add things when I need to take them.

Many feel that as long as they have the things on, they should fill them up with stuff, like tools, extra cables , raingear, etc.

Problem here is you start collecting junk and when you really need the space for something, you end up trying to move crap around so it will all fit. To avoid this I try to carry as little as possible and only add stuff as needed for ride I have planned.(And remove stuff at home if not needed)

If I wanted to carry a bunch of crap with me every time I leave home, I'd take the car.

KM
Yes that makes sense but planning would require using a brain cell...and some of us don't want to think that hard :)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yes that makes sense but planning would require using a brain cell...and some of us don't want to think that hard :)
Yep, thats me, I think I only have one, so I guess I carry way too much for KM's point of view...lol...
I only have to think about what extra stuff I need in the bags if I am goin on a couple to several day trip, everyday stuff is already there...
Which makes me think (can I ??), I need to renew my CO2 Cyls., as they are about 6-7 yr. old and probably not too good...
PS-Since I like ridin the mountain twisties I also carry a pretty good set of maps, and also a roll of strikin pads...
Have a good one....Old Dog...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I carry a small set of tools. If the weather's going to be unpredictable (most days, in Texas), I'll throw my rain gear in there. I also carry an old rag in there for general purposes like removing removing the indications that a bird hasn't been getting enough fiber from the seat, removing the remnants of some bug that kamikazed itself on my visor right between my eyes, drying off the seat if the bike gets caught outside in an afternoon thunderstorm, etc. I hadn't thought of a kickstand puck, but that might not be a bad idea. It's been 100+ degrees during the day for a couple of weeks in a row now out here, and the asphalt gets kinda gooey....

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Fuses (just because they don't take up much room), tire repair kit, air compressor, bottled water.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Always have my can of seafoam in one bag with my bike cover in case a downpour hits. I keep a multi-tool and my little multi-meter in there too. Other bag has a few tools laying in the bottom, a few shop towels and my can of Honda Pro Cleaner to spot clean the windshield or face shield if needed. I always have a few bungees in there too. The 1500 has a pretty good set of tools that are in the sealed compartment under the left side cover so the few tools I carry are ones that compliment that set.

If I were on a overnight + road trip, I'd pack other stuff like compressor etc.

·
Be True, Be Safe!!!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. Keep them comming. lots of good ones. Will definatly use some of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
on the left side - I keep my winter gloves & my spare (wife's) helmet, and a couple rags. In the right side I keep a brush, and a zip up hoodie. I have my sunglasses case mounted under the speedo/tach that holds the glasses when I'm not riding, spare lenses, and my phone & ipod while I'm riding.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Stator & RR? ;-)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Shades & 2 sets of clear glasses. (for an unexpected passenger) Rain gear, Snow pants, Tool kit (fork bag), Balaclava, 1 qrt oil, extra (thin) gloves & that's just one side. The other is pretty much left empty for the unexpected or my jacket on rediculously hot days. The plex cleaner & micro fiber rage is a good idea though. I'll be adding that. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well mine are empty since I keep the tools/gloves in the trunk/gas-mask bag but my father keeps an amp which runs to two speakers and a MP3 jack.:rockon:

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
humm, lets see........
left side:
rain suit, face mask, extra shirt
right side:
bungies, spare bulbs, spare R/R, tire patch, air pump, flashlight
trunk:
multimeter, wire, fuses, connectors, wiring diagrams
front bag:
wrenches and sockets from 8mm to 17mm, screwdrives, spark plug socket
windshield:
tinted and clear glasses

I think that's it...

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I only put on saddlebags when I go on a long trip. Then I usually fill them with rain gear, and extra shoes. (They're Tourmaster Slant Bags, size medium, which is too small. They're like little hand bags!)

All I carry in my (lockable) tail trunk is a kickstand puck. In the tool compartment I have a socket wrench sized to remove the seat bolts if necessary.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts