Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered part number 92055-1044 thinking it would fix this leak from the final drive all over my rear wheel:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

But I may be confused...where exactly does o-ring 92055-1044 go? Is it the correct o-ring to fix this issue? I was under the impression I'd be replacing the o-ring pictured below:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

o-ring 92055-1044 is quite small.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Looks like the right size to replace the o-ring that seals the moly into the spline coupler at the end of the drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Looking at the parts diagram, you may be searching for 671B25145. The placement on the diagram is odd, but there's no good place for it to go inside the final drive (should be all seals there), so it just might be the one that's at the base of those splines.

Also, from what I understand, moly based grease is good for things that slide laterally while under high pressure, so the drive shaft splines that need to slip back and forth as the suspension moves while providing thrust to the back wheel is a perfect application. Those chunky splines that attach the wheel to the final drive shouldn't have any lateral play, so moly isn't needed. Using a more traditional, thicker grease there would stay in place better, and would cause less of a mess if it did leak out.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
I ordered part number 92055-1044 thinking it would fix this leak from the final drive all over my rear wheel:

View attachment 55397 View attachment 55398

But I may be confused...where exactly does o-ring 92055-1044 go? Is it the correct o-ring to fix this issue? I was under the impression I'd be replacing the o-ring pictured below:

View attachment 55399

o-ring 92055-1044 is quite small.
View attachment 55401
The part number for the large o-ring listed in the parts manual is 671B25145, the list doesn't give the size.

There's two o-rings on the driveshaft coupler, part numbers 92055-1281 and 92055-1332, and they are different sizes. Unfortunately, the drawing doesn't show which o-ring goes on which end of the coupler. Nice.

92055 - 1281 is shown as 35.8 mm (edit: size seems suspicious - possible typo)
92055 - 1332 is shown as 19.8 x 1.9

Did some searching online and I find your part number 92055 - 1044 listed as belonging on the front bevel gear on Kawasaki Voyager and Concours. So far I haven't found it on the VN750.

Good news is, it looks like the right o-ring is readily available, bad news is waiting for shipping.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The part number for the large o-ring listed in the parts manual is 671B25145, the list doesn't give the size.

There's two o-rings on the driveshaft coupler, part numbers 92055-1281 and 92055-1332, and they are different sizes. Unfortunately, the drawing doesn't show which o-ring goes on which end of the coupler. Nice.

92055 - 1281 is shown as 35.8 mm (edit: size seems suspicious - possible typo)
92055 - 1332 is shown as 19.8 x 1.9

Did some searching online and I find your part number 92055 - 1044 listed as belonging on the front bevel gear on Kawasaki Voyager and Concours. So far I haven't found it on the VN750.

Good news is, it looks like the right o-ring is readily available, bad news is waiting for shipping.

Thanks for doing this research, Spockster. I appreciate you. So what you're saying is that this o-ring is the correct one to replace the o-ring I'm pointing at in the picture above? My hypothesis is that THIS is where the moly/final drive oil? is leaking past and gushing all over my rear wheel. I don't think the leak is happening further "upstream" by the splines...else how would it leak down and past and all the way on my rear wheel?

I'll order this piece and do some sort of update/notes in the description for my spline lube Youtube video...since I incorecctly refer pack to part #92055 - 1044 several times. :D

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Does your old o-ring look flattened? I don't think the engineers would have relied on the thickness and resiliency of the o-ring to take the brunt of the axle nut's torque, so there's probably a metal-to-metal surface somewhere, and that o-ring is just filling a gap and not really holding any pressure. Since that grease staining is pretty common on these bikes, and nobody has ever had one of these rings fail completely, snapping and falling onto the roadside, I would guess that it's acting more as a lip for the grease to build up against and block road grit, rather than provide a grease-proof seal. At speed, grease is going to leak past any seal that isn't TIGHT, and I think we'd be seeing a lot of really flat o-rings when changing tires if that were the case.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Thanks for doing this research, Spockster. I appreciate you. So what you're saying is that this o-ring is the correct one to replace the o-ring I'm pointing at in the picture above? My hypothesis is that THIS is where the moly/final drive oil? is leaking past and gushing all over my rear wheel. I don't think the leak is happening further "upstream" by the splines...else how would it leak down and past and all the way on my rear wheel?

I'll order this piece and do some sort of update/notes in the description for my spline lube Youtube video...since I incorecctly refer pack to part #92055 - 1044 several times. :D

I think you can edit the title on a post.

The moly from the driveshaft splines can't get to that side of the wheel, it would have to make it past two final drive seals and float through the 80-90W final drive lube.

I think what you're seeing on the brake side is moly placed on the hub splines.

But yes, according to the parts diagram in the downloaded manual, that 671B25145 o-ring is the large o-ring for the hub splines.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your old o-ring look flattened? I don't think the engineers would have relied on the thickness and resiliency of the o-ring to take the brunt of the axle nut's torque, so there's probably a metal-to-metal surface somewhere, and that o-ring is just filling a gap and not really holding any pressure. Since that grease staining is pretty common on these bikes, and nobody has ever had one of these rings fail completely, snapping and falling onto the roadside, I would guess that it's acting more as a lip for the grease to build up against and block road grit, rather than provide a grease-proof seal. At speed, grease is going to leak past any seal that isn't TIGHT, and I think we'd be seeing a lot of really flat o-rings when changing tires if that were the case.
Great points. This whole time I thought I was dealing with a failed gasket/o-ring. But maybe I DID simply overlube the teeth of the final drive/inner rear wheel with Moly too much back in 2020. PLUS, all this did start after I lubed the splines back in 2020. So what I'll do is clean up the rear wheel and instead use a different grease (high temp wheel bearing grease seems to be the better choice than Moly). :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts