Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering which oil & filters might be the best for the VN750... I did use Valvoline 4 Stroke motorcycle oil (10w-40) and Fram filters in my 03 but had an oil pressure problem, which I wondered if it was the Fram filter which I now understand they use a cardboard backing in their filters to better glue the filter portion to... Somewhere I read that it could breakdown under hot oil conditions and get small fragments of cardboard in the oil... I almost believe that could have happened with my 03 VN, maybe a fragment getting into the relief valve, just a possability though...
In my 06 I am now using Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic and Pure One oil filters, my question is... Is this Good-Bad-or Ugly???... BTW- I plan on going 5,000mi. between changes, is that OK with the Synthetic???
I have 6,700+mi. on it and the downshifting does seem a tad stiffer than it was on the 03, but otherwise everything seems very good...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nothing wrong with your current selection but I would not run that Rotella for 5000 miles. 2500 tops, even less if you put a lot of miles on in the heat of the summer. If you want 5000 mi change intervals go with a true syn like Amsoil or M1 MC oil. Wouldn't hurt to get a oil analisys done after 2000 and 4000 mi just for piece of mind. I run Amsoil 1/3 20-50 and 2/3rds 10-40 did this in my 750 also. I used to use Amsoil filters until they upgraded and got more pricey, good filter but I don't do the miles to justify the expense. I'm using a pure one also.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woody, the Rotella T 5w-40 is a synthetic, I have never run synthetic before, but I did run the Rotella 15w-40 non-synthetic in a 426 Hemi in the mid 60s and was very pleased with it. I changed it every case as it used about a Qt. in 200mi. ...The Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic is about $16.24 per gal. at Wally World which is not much higher than non-synthetic these days... I am not that much up on synthetics, but it states on the container that it is synthetic, does that not mean it is a true synthetic??? But supposedly they don't have to use the viscosity inhibiters that break down in petrolium based oils.... I am not disputing anything here as I am not sure as to what is ment by a true synthetic... Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Rotella (T) 5W-40 here. It is a full synthetic oil according to the label. I switched to synthetic because I do not put that many miles on my bike each year and found it to be hard to justify changing oil each season. I know I should change more frequently because of moisture in the oil, but at least I know the oil is less likely to be broken down in viscosity until I do get around to changing it :zzz: I think I'm OK to change every other season :confused:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to ALL.... I was pretty sure that Rotella T 5w-40 was not a blend but pure synthetic, so I guess it is what Woody called a true synthetic... So I think I will stay as planned and change every 5,000mi. I also plan on using it in my car & van and use the same 5,000mi. change intervals... When I used regular petrolium based oils I changed the cycle at 2,000mi. and the car & van at 3,000mi....Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
553 Posts
No Old Dog, I meant as I said it. Rotella is a good oil but it is a group III hydrocracked petroleum oil. Thanks to the courts the term "synthetic" can be misleading. I'm not trying to tell you what to do as it is your bike( a lot of guys have good luck with Rotella) But I would never run it 5000 mi in a wet clutch system. 5000 mi is pushing it with a premium MC specific oils like the ones I mentioned or even Redline. If you keep the bike long enough you will see what I mean. Like I said get it analyzed after 2500 mi and see what shape it's in, I'm guessing it will be in the upper 30wt range by then. Blackstone labs will do it for about 25.00
in your cages if your not towing or stressing the engine 5000 is quite doable with a good filter.

Bskaggs, Rotella is pretty inexpensive so change it every year or moisture will eventually get to it.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Woody, what you are saying is that the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic is not really synthetic but a term allowed by the courts that allow them to call a petroleum oil synthetic??? Hmm, maybe I should dig deeper into this, I thought if it stated that it was synthetic, it was... All I know is petroleum oil, petroleum & synthetic blend, and synthetic... I knew that Rotella T 15w-40 was a petroleum oil and it don't claim to be otherwise, but the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic, as I saw it should be a pure synthetic oil as stated... If it is not, then I need to change my setup I would think...
BTW-Woody, I don't think you are trying to tell me what to do, I think you are trying to help me understand a few things about oil, which I apparently don't know, and I appreciate it... And I do want to be able to stress the engine, as I ride the mountains and am the only Kaw. rider in our group... Aw shucks, why didn't they just leave it like it used to be "motor oil"...LOL...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Geek
872 Posts
Man, I feel behind the ball here. I use Dino 10/40 and the Kaw filter. But I change it twice a year. Just changed it last week.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Talking oil is like talking religion and politics, very touchy! Actually Mobil sued Valvoline(I think it was Valvoline) for selling their Hydro cracked oil as a syn. The courts ruled that it was modified enough to classify it as a synthetic. Cracked oils are a group III and oils like Mobil 1 and some Amsoils are PAO (Polyolafin based) group IV. Some Amsoils and Redline are Ester based Group V. I think Royal purple also uses PAO's and Esters but that stuff has a love/hate relationship with it's users. I have not tried that but have used the rotella syn a couple of times when I had to change late in the season but always put Amsoil back in before storage.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woody, boy am I glad you got into this, looks like I do need to regroup... I found this to be very interesting... http://motorcyclebloggers.com/2005/12/08/motorcycle-oil-revisited/ I think I may now stay with the conventional oils and change at my normal 2,000mi., may use the Rotella 5w-40 Syn. in the autos. though, and go with the Rotella 15w-40 conventional oil in the cycle, and Kawasaki's OEM filters... Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts