Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a '90 VN750 last week (my first bike) and love it... I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find anything here on it- how many miles per tank do you usually get?? I'm getting about 85-100 when filling about 2.5 gallons.. Is this the average?? The bike runs perfectly, only occasionally backfiring during decel (which I'm reading here is pretty common on the Vulcans)..

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Vulcan has a 3.4 gallon tank with about 3 gallons being usable before switching to reserve. I typically fill up around 120 miles and put about 2.6 gallons in which puts me around 46mpg for commuting. Half of the 20 miles to work is under 45 mph and the other half is over 65 mph. If I'm just on a back road cruise with speeds under 45, I can squeeze about 50mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
On wide open roads where I can keep my speed a constant 60-65mph, I get about 50 or so.
If I have lots of stops or speeds under 45, it deteriorates to about 46-48 or so.
If I speed (RPM over 5K) it really drops to about 35 or so. I rarely ever do this BTW.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
HERE is a previous post on this.

And here's my post from there.....
My bike has a mind of it's own and the mpg all depends on what kind of mood it's in. If It's feelin' good and/or riding with my buds NightHawk, and letting me get a little "spirited" with the throttle, mid 40's or so. (so it's not my fault if the bike passes the posted speed limit some!!)

If It's just cruisin' along, takin' it's time, enjoy the wind, the view and the freedom of ridin', mid to low 50's or so.

Last I remember seeing it, gas was about $3.599 (WTF is with that stupid .009¢)
Not sure if it went up today. I try to avoid looking at the prices until I absolutely have to.
Since this post in early May, the gas prices around here have gone up to $3.999 (there's that stupid .009¢ again??!!)

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The .999 thing is merely a marketing ploy to fool you into thinking gas at say 3.99 per 9/10 gallon isn't over $4.00 per gallon. They're just messing with your head.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Last time I checked mine, a week ago, I got the silly, unbelievable number of 78.

I did the math several times and kept coming up with 78.

So to answer the thread question-I don't know. I could believe low 60's/high 50's, but I need to find a different way to figure it out it seems.

Regarding that 78-I had two other people run the same numbers, and they came up with the same answers. My bike runs good, but I can't believe it runs 78mpg good. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
750Doug,

What size tire do you have on the front end? This will affect your mpg.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
The most I've gotten is 52 mpg straight highway, and I usually get 44 mpg non-highway.
rubyrick

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have been getting anywhere from 43 to 52 MPG.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
52-55 mpg running a 110x90x19" front tire... BTW-The speedometer still seems to be about 3% fast (at about 50 mph), but the odometer seems a tiny bit low (2%) with the bigger tire, according to my GPS... So I guess the 110x90x19" is about as close to right as we can get with the OEM speedo & tach....
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I have a '93 with just a smidgeon over 44,000 miles, no ear shave, run irridium plugs, put in mid-grade gas and don't have a windshield. I average right around 49 mpg living in the heart of Chicago so I probably do 70/30 city/highway miles.......

Stevie D.
Chicago

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Who knows, I was told 45 when I bought it but so far I just fill it up and ride for pleasure, starting a new job next week which means no more car pooling and driving the cage. plan on riding the vulcan as much as possible so I'll check my mileage out then. Time for a trip to Iron-pony to get some riding gear for those everyday commutes. So looking forward to it. I have been car pooling for 10 years with a bunch of people and conversations I don't really care for! couldn't even crank my tunes like I would have liked to if I was riding alone.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Took a ride two weekend's ago. Got 57.5 mpg. last weekend another ride got 54.5. Both were a mix of country/highway

·
Registered
12 Posts
just bought a 93 with 24k miles on it, ear shave and 142/40 jets with pods - fully loaded with passenger and a 35lb rucksack on the rear rough calcs got us around 50 on the high side, maybe 45 -

seems i get better mileage on better grade of gas, since its so cheap i usually put in mid or premium.
Heck - gasbuddy calculated a return trip from newport to ft lauderdale and back at $149 gas(!) add in another 50 for sideroads - thats dirt cheap!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts