Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a fast ticking noise whenever I apply the front brakes at high speed. It sounds like when you spin the rear wheel of a 10-speed bicycle. The brakes seem to slow me down just fine but I would like to know what's making that sound?

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I bet your pads are worn. I noticed today what look like little metal clips that contact the rotor when the pads get to replaceable range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have that same ticking noise when applying the brakes. Nice to know I'm not alone. I'll check out my pad/roters next weekend. If you check out before I do, let all of us know.

tim - Seattle Area

·
Registered
737 Posts
My '06 does the same thing, but I only notice it at low speeds. It is more of a fast, faint ticking on my bike. It's been there since I got the bike with 3K miles on it, with no problems braking since or now at 12K miles. I have been considering it normal. I will stay again that mine is not very loud or noticable. If yours is very loud, then maybe it is worth looking into (i.e., excessive wear).

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Mine has done that since I've owned it. I watched a video of someone here riding and heard it on the video when they braked, so I thought its just the way the discs are and I haven't worroed abount it since.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I believe it is due to the drilled rotors, the pas hits the holes and makes noise. Mide did that and I know had good brakes.
just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear it on mine too mainly at lower speeds and I have new pads on mine as they were getting worn down and due for replacement. I have only had my bilke since spring but noticed it before and after replacing the pads. I had already guessed that it was due to the drilled rotors used on our bikes. I would not describe it exactly as a ticking noise but I guess that is probably the easiest way to desacribe it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Couldnt resist, but...(jk)

Sorry, couldnt resist...

but I would like to know what's making that sound?
Could be the Azherbakistani terrorist trigger for the bomb planted in your gas tank....*wink*...

...sorry....I HAD to....the title was just BEGGING for it....*innocent grin*

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I believe it is due to the drilled rotors, the pas hits the holes and makes noise. Mide did that and I know had good brakes.
just a thought.
There you have it. Good enough explanation to me.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Mine do it too, as everyone else said got to be the rotors. I would still love to find a set of slotted rotors that fit this bike.

·
Registered
133 Posts
mine too

mine do it too,,always have for 9 years now. i was thinking about renewing them for next summer,,see if new ones do it too. must be good ones to have lasted at least 10 years that i know of. my rear brake is ****e though !!. :)

·
Banned
448 Posts
Mine does that as well. IMHO I think the drilled rotors is what's causing the noise. I have good pucks on mine, and they work great.
I think ma Kaw should have countersunk the holes, and they would work better.
But that's me.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Time for a little thread necromancy...:)

I noticed my bike making this same ticking noise when I use the front brake. When I apply the front brake at what seems like anything above 20 mph I hear what I think sounds like a faint very rhythmic/repetitive ticking or clicking noise. I swear it sounds like its coming from the master cylinder but I've found a few threads that seems to point to the slotted/drilled rotors. I have absolutely no issues with braking, lever is firm, and no fluid is leaking. I was wondering if anyone here can point me in a direction of anything else to check to make sure nothing is wrong.

Admittedly, I don't know if the bike has done this since I bought it as I usually ride with a full helmet so I never heard it, but I just switched over to a half helmet while waiting for my new visor to show up and thats when I noticed it.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Check the clip that holds the brake pad in the caliper. Mine was bent and rubbing on the rotor. A slight tweak and it was gone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts