Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interesting what our bike can? I rod 160 km/h(100 m/h) and it don't go more. Maybe becouse I haven't windshild or old wheak engine.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
At about 100mph the front end gets a little shakey for me.
The bike will get to 115 mph.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Fastest I've had mine was somewhere about 110. I didn't really want to take my eyes off of what was infront of me to see exactly.
It is a bit shakey then, especially due to the fact that the bike is designed as a Cruiser, not a racer.
I have had it to 100 more than a few times. Stupid thing to do?.... I admit, yeah, but it was a rush.

countdown= 1 Next post and cegodsey is off the Portal page !!!!

·
239 Posts
Rode mine at 105 m/h for about 5 miles on mostly level ground.
It was smooth and felt like it had a bit more but that was enough for me.
Im not a speed freak,normally ride about 10 over speed limit, but had to see what it could do.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
got to 100 Mph once and the bike didn't feel stable on the road. i would not go above 70-75 if i'm riding alone or with wife, and 85 if i'm stuck riding with a fast group - not very fun at that point IMO.

be carefull on those suburb Kiev roads, or you are risking not to have where to put your new handles ;)

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I routinely cruise at 75 - 80, and pass at 85 - 90. Not much more.

Jon

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've had my speedometer at 100 MPH a couple times on the freeway for a very short time and it still had some to go. However, my GPS said I was actually going about 91.
The bike handled very well; no vibration, no control problems whatsoever. It just wanted to go in a straight line down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts

the fastest ive had it is 110. the front tire just kind of skims across the road. maybe 112 but that is severly pushing it. anyone know anywhere online that has decently priced air filters or other parts instead of grotesquely overpriced?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May be mine can do some more, I wasn't try it on freeway yet, we have two of them(freeways) in our country.
And Tankist have a point - our roads are very VERY bed. On 100 mph I can't say precislly what it is 95 or 105, 'couse of vibration on the road.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have seen 115 on the speedo, however, our speedos are off so I was probably only going a little over 100. I will have to admit, I go over 100 almost every time I ride. The guys I ride with all ride crotch rockets. I am more aggressive than any of them. The bike really doesn't handle well over 90 though, so you have to keep the high speeds restricted to mostly straight, wide open freeways and highways, of which we have plenty out here. There is a huge difference between riding a bike like ours at speed and something that's meant to do those kinds of speeds. I rented a Harley Davidson Night Rod a few months ago while I was in Sacramento. I rode from Sac town to San Francisco at speeds between 90-135 the whole way there. The brakes, handling, and engine performance of that bike are almost worth the $17,000+ price tag. At 135, it still had more in it, :smiley_th I just couldn't take the wind. :motorcycl None of this is advisable, by the way. I'm young and invincible still. :baby:

BTW, after 400 - thrill a minute miles on the Harley, I just wanted to be back on my Vulcan. It's a very comfortable and enjoyable bike. It just can't peel out in 2nd gear. :p

·
239 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Generally I don't go more than 7 mph over the posted limit. I do admit I was curious what she would do and had the stones to go to just over 100 on the speedo. Probably around 93-96 actually. I didn't have the GPS on the bike at the time. I must say I do prefer a slower twisty ride myself.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I don't even wanna know what my bike does.

Fastest I've gone is a little over 90 (indicated with a 110 front, probably about right) and I do 90 semi frequently when on the interstate (speed limit 65).

I do know she's still pulling pretty hard when she hits 90, 115 seems like a reasonable top speed given what's "left" and the exponential nature of wind resistance.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I've only had mine up to 90 for short bursts. I'm too old and chicken to go faster on this bike. That and the fact that an engine rebuild will result the more one punishes it prevents me doing any more harm than I already do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know about anybody else, but I get the most enjoyment and relaxation at about 65 MPH on the freeway. I stay in the right lane and just sit back and enjoy the scenery, keep a sharp eye on the rear view, and feel safe. I don't need to worry about watching for cops. And of course I am not young and invincible. I am old and damned cautious.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
HEHE... and this is me after "calming down". When I was younger (I'm 26 now) I was a TOTAL dips**t, now I'm just a dumbass ;-) Good thing I did my major stupid crap on 4 wheels rather than 2.

I do find that I ride a bit slower now that I put the "new" exhaust from lurch on (unmodified stock) - now that there's not the audible reward for going fast, I don't do it as much...

I do tend to generally ride at around 8 mph over the speed limit - hit 90 when I feel the need for speed. Don't really care for riding on the interstate anyways, even 75 gets tiresome after a while ;-)

The right lane is dangerous around here on 2 wheels... I figure if I'm passing em I won't get rear ended by em....

·
Registered
415 Posts
My favorite type of ride is a 2 lane country road with some twists and turns. Mountain roads are a good bet as well. I'm not a "peg scraper" but I do like to get a little angle in the turns. Then again straight and level through some nice scenery has it's appeal as well. Speed isn't the real draw for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There should definitely be a fair bit left in the engine at 100mph. I came to the VN750 from a Virago which has similar gearing but red lines at 7000 revs aginst 8,500 for the VN750. Both are doing 80mph at 5,500 revs but the Virago is rapidly running out of breath while VN750n is obviously just cantering and isn't straining at all. I don't have a windshield and have also done 100 a few times and got up to 105 once out of curiosity. The bike handled quite well - even the mirrors were quite clear to see behind. Its pretty ninvigorating with the upright riding position, but the bike holds the road even on a breezy day. Definitely plenty left in the engine which I reckon should be good for 120mph. I didn;t notice any problems with the tyres on the road and I have the standard tyres, but cornering is something of an art at that kind of speed and anything but the most gentle regular curve is going to be a challenge. Only do it on good roads with gentle curves because if you misjudge the bend you are in serious trouble. They guy who said it loved going in a straight line had it about right. I agree that 80 is plenty - its just effortless on these bikes and they love it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't ride on highway yet, and its really shakes on bad road on 100mph,
And I starting to notice sequence between max speed/rpm's and air temperature(maybe humidity too ). If air is cold bike running fast. If air is abow 10 celsium I can't get more then 100mph.
It could be couse of changed intake schem.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts