Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious after reminiscing about a trip a made a couple of years ago. I would love to live vicariously through you all, so feel free to embellish a bit. But here's mine...

I live in SLC and my girl spent a couple of semesters at ASU in Tempe AZ. Naturally I was happy, because I got to work on my bike, truck, and basically do what ever I wanted, and just head down every other weekend or so. Early summer rolls around and I get the balls to actually take the 10 hour solo-ride on my VN750.

It was an awesome trip. I rolled out of town at about 4:30 am and headed down I-15. From SLC to Beaver, UT was a drag--literally, I burned a tank of gas in 68 miles driving head on into winds--but from hwy-20 to hwy-89 the trip turned great. Lots of great twists through hwy-20, which is only a 20 mile stretch connecting I-15 and US-89. US-89 heads through Panguitch, Kanab, UT; Page, Flagstaff, AZ. 89 twisted me right through Dixie National Forest, Bryce Canyon National Park. In AZ the ride takes goes on through Lake Powell, Tonto National Forest; but the highlight of the trip is 10-15 miles south of Page when I came out of a man made cut in the rock. If you have driven the stretch between Page and Flagstaff, you know what I'm talking about. You can see for miles and miles, I believe you can see the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

In a car, I could do this trip in 9.5 to 10 hours. I took a hell of a lot more breaks on the bike and arrived at 6:30, so 14 hours. 720 miles, 480 miles of which are arguably the best miles that this country has to offer. So in total, round trip was about 1440 miles, 26 hours on the bike (I did the return trip much faster), 4 days (2 days for riding, 2 days with my lady), a blown left fork seal, front ACCM spring finally had enough, and one rear tire (which held up, but was practically bald by the time I got home).

http://mapq.st/ZsDMVv

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Sounds like a beautiful ride for spring or fall when it is not too hot.

So in total, round trip was about 1440 miles, 26 hours on the bike (I did the return trip much faster), 4 days (2 days for riding, 2 days with my lady), a blown left fork seal, front ACCM spring finally had enough, and one rear tire (which held up, but was practically bald by the time I got home).
How did you repair the ACCT? Replacement springs from TOC? MCCT from TOC?
Or modify the ACCT into a Manual CCT?

Most of my riding is commuting 11 miles to work. Longest ride is only 100-120 miles to Medicine Hat, Alberta to visit my 2nd daughter and her family just after I got the Vulcan in May 2008. My oldest daughter's 4 kids took turns riding with grandpa on the bike, while the other 3 rode chase with mom and grandma in the minivan, waiting for their turn on the pillon seat. Not really a very exciting ride on long straight prairie roads looking at grain fields most of the way. :(

The only other trip any distance from home was last summer on a group ride with 15 or so other riders about 80 miles to Nanton, Alberta's Second World War Air Museum. They have a Lancaster bomber they are restoring, and we rode up to see it while they fired up one of the engines which they had just finished rebuilding. Pretty impressive plane for the time.

On the ride back we split up into several groups who chose different routes home. I rode back with 3 others who were all riding bigger bikes, and set a pretty hot pace (for me anyway) at 80-90 mph, so that was the longest and fastest ride I have taken so far.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have ridden from Roby Tx to Castroville Tx. About an 8 hrs ride on back roads. On the return trip tokk about 5 hrs. About 350 mile give or take a few miles. It was a fun ride on the vulcan.
In the mid 80 rode from Sweetwater Tx to Longview Tx. The ride was on a 650 maxim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you repair the ACCT? Replacement springs from TOC? MCCT from TOC?
Or modify the ACCT into a Manual CCT?
When I got home I read Wib714's DIY mod to the existing housing. So I did that, with a 6mmx30 bolt, a locking nut, a flat steel washer and a neoprene washer. I was always super scared to lock that thing down too tight so when the rear one started ticking last Nov., right before I shut it down for the winter, I figured I'd just cough up the cash and get the machined, high quality TOC's. I actually just ordered them this week because riding weather is finally in SLC, we'll see how they treat me. Biggest reason for the switch was the sketchy soft Al. housing, next problem, they kind of look like a crazy tinkerer jimmy rigged the bike just enough to run, and lastly the rear mod would require me to either use a shorter bolt, or move the coolant tank.

Nothing is much more fun than giving the youngsters a ride. My nieces and nephews ask for rides every time they see me, even if I'm driving my cage. Haha. I usually just take them on spins around my parents neighborhood.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
My longest ride so far was the trip me and my ol lady made from houston to san antonio that's when I found out that a weak charging system will cause your bike to over heat wasn't spinning the fan fast enough

·
Registered
339 Posts
SF-LA in 4.5 hours.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
To date I would have to say my 2 favorite long rides were :

from Northern NJ to Washington DC for Rolling Thunder - about 250 miles...and return trip for total of about 500 miles....solo trip.

from Northern NJ to Lake George NY for Americade...about 200 miles one way. The wife was on the back, so we wound up taking rest stops often for her....kinda ruined the rhythm of the open road riding for me....lol

I love long rides on open highway just as much as the twisties on the back roads.

Have been known to go for all day rides with friends in the NY/NJ area and rack up over 150 in a day...just for the fun of it!

I plan on one day making the cross country trip from NJ to Los Angeles to visit my brother.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Awesome ride from Lake Powell/Page to Flagstaff! We took the boat from LP and went to the North Rim Lodge once to check it out. It was 104 at Lake Powell and at the North Rim Lodge it was snowing, all in the same day. We were still wearing our swim suits LOL. What an experience and a wonderful area of the country. Try the trip going from Gallup, NM along 204 over to Page sometime. Amazing area.

I envy your ride. A must ride on the bike one day.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Tail of the dragon was great, drove from NJ through VA blue ridge parkway, across NC to TN then back the blue ridge park way again, fun time, me and dad did that in 08. 2200 miles or so. not on a 750, on 800's

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Longest ride for me was a few years ago when we got.a.whole bunch of us vn750 forum members together for a gathering in Ohio. It ended up being a 6.5 hour ride...2 up, after working all day. I was fine, but the wife wanted off the bike after about 3 hours lol. That was a fun ride down and back.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I havent had my VN long enough to really log any big rides, but the most memorable was with the Pack around Orange County....went to Mikey Teutel's Gallery, almost got kicked outta PJD, then to OCC, to Gully's ON the Hudson for lunch, snakeroads down to West Point, then to the top of Bear Mtn....with 2 of the best guys I know.
Second after that was a Delaware Water Gap ride with the Pack, QSRG, et al...had it not been for detours, wouldda been perfect !...ended the day at Gyp's On Lake Kittatinny, place where I grew up.....
Hoping for some good'ns this upcomming season....hope my motor aint shot...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Longest ride - LaFargeville, NY. to a camp ground on the Blue Ridge Pky south of Roanoke, VA. I-81 most of the way, but side trip to Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry. Time was about 16 hours and 675 miles or so.

Best ride would be the second day of a 900+ mile, 4 day trip last Aug. up to Denny's place. Day two was a good 275+ miles of riding in the mountains between Tellico Plains, TN, on River Road, Cherohala Skyway(east and west bound) , The Hellbender 28(north bound), The Dragon(north and south bound). started riding about 9am and finished just before dark. But all four days of the trip were nice riding.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
My longest so far was to Montauk with my girlfriend at the time, Carrie. I was going to look at a helicopter for the flight school I was working for at the time. It took us about 4 hours to get there, about a half hour longer than the cage. Montauk is a thin island though so most of the way there is jam packed with coastal views. We stayed at Montauk Manor, pretty pricy but really nice. The women were really something to see, they were all beautiful! The girl I was with was (is) an uber-hottie and my eyes were still wandering all over! LOL!!! :wow:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....we always invite you, but you never invite yer buddies....mmm hmmm...we'll remember that....hope you can swim....

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
^ Not sure why it's relevant but I used to be a lifeguard - of course I can swim. That said, where to begin?

1) I didn't know you then
2) I was working both days
3) Even if I wasn't, why on earth would I invite anyone to a romantic get-away weekend with my grifriend? LOL!!!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Even if I wasn't, why on earth would I invite anyone to a romantic get-away weekend with my grifriend? LOL!!!
You dont share with your brothers ???...besides...ya mentioned all the hot babes....well, now ya owe us one....and we wont make ya swim the upper Delaware rapids.... ;)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
^ Right then, to clarify: if I don't share my girlfriend with a few members here, I'm going to be thrown into the Delaware's rapids? Somehow, and I might be going out on a limb here, I don't see any of that happening - ever. Hell, I'm not even what I owe or why!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
In May I'll be doing a 10 day trip. Not sure which route I'm going, as things have changed and I'm considering insteading of spending more days in Alabama, that instead heading to Dallas instead. either way the trip will be around 2600 to 2800 miles. Camping the whole way other than when in Dallas.

The first route would be
http://goo.gl/maps/u1Sqg

The other route which I'm now leaning towards will be
http://goo.gl/maps/1eCm1

the second route will allow me to camp in two more State Parks than the first one would.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
In May I'll be doing a 10 day trip. Not sure which route I'm going, as things have changed and I'm considering insteading of spending more days in Alabama, that instead heading to Dallas instead. either way the trip will be around 2600 to 2800 miles. Camping the whole way other than when in Dallas.

The first route would be
http://goo.gl/maps/u1Sqg

The other route which I'm now leaning towards will be
http://goo.gl/maps/1eCm1

the second route will allow me to camp in two more State Parks than the first one would.
safe travels, be sure your tires are ready for that many miles, along with oil and other fluids. Can't hurt to bring a spare bulb either.

long rides are awesome

kenny

1 - 20 of 30 Posts