Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this pic on jr_allas' website. Finally a picture showing something I've wondered about for a while. What is that thing sticking out of each cyclinder? My crude attempt at drawing an arrow points toward the one shown in this pic. Thanks,

jeff

04_No_carbs.jpg

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That is the ACCT (automatic cam chain tensioner).
And for a crude attempt, it's good enough !

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Yup, well done! And I have such fond memories of installing those new springs... Wish the engine on Orleans looked that clean!

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Acct

As long as we are on the subject of Automatic Cam Chain Adjusters, or ACCT as they are affectinately referred to. (By the way, it took me a long time to figure out what the heck everyone was talking about.) But anyway, what is the typical mileage when folks have had to service these things? I believe first attempt to service is the "gambo trick" before spring replacement??? Or, is service on these more age than mileage?

I really appreciate all you folks' willingness to share your knowledge.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
As long as we are on the subject of Automatic Cam Chain Adjusters, or ACCT as they are affectinately referred to. (By the way, it took me a long time to figure out what the heck everyone was talking about.) But anyway, what is the typical mileage when folks have had to service these things? I believe first attempt to service is the "gambo trick" before spring replacement??? Or, is service on these more age than mileage?

I really appreciate all you folks' willingness to share your knowledge.
Orleans has about 25K miles on her, and she was making quite a racket (and putting off potential buyers). When I broke down the ACCT, the springs were thoroughly shot. My rideable bike has about 11K miles, and is just starting to make "that sound" in the rear cylinder, but I don't know how normal that is in terms of mileage.

On a positive note, the TOC springs are only 20-odd dollars (plus a little shipping), and replacement is really pretty straightforward.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I replaced the springs on mine around 30k mi.
I did the Grambo trick first. That lasted a few months until I heard 'that sound' again (which many compare to the mixing balls in a can of spray paint)

At first, the way the springs work can be a little confusing. But once ya disassemble them you understand it better.
They don't work by the springs pushing action as one would expect, but by the twisting action of them.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i am going to be changing mine out to the TOC springs here shortly....hopefully they will help...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine didn't start making noise until almost 40k miles. I took the ACCTs apart and retensioned the springs. That lasted a few months and then I had to do the Grambo trick. Looked like only the rear one was sticking. Might have someting to do with the angle. Putting the TOC springs in when I do the ear shave this spring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is the ACCT (automatic cam chain tensioner).
And for a crude attempt, it's good enough !

Thanks. Like others, I appreciate the shared knowledge here.
jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts