Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I read about the coil wiring and relay mod (http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17276), but I don't understand exactly what it is about. Can someone explain this to me? I'm very interested in such things, but I don't know all about it (not an expert). When it is good for my bike, I want to apply it.
It is applying directly from the battery,12V to the coils when the ignition switch is on, thus eliminating voltage loss thru the bikes original wire harness (16 gauge wire).

This (via the relay) places Battery Potential (12V) on the coils at all times, ....even 14V above 3K rpm.....for better hotter spark.

hope this helps
:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I clearly was sleeping...What I meant was this:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550

Sorry.
The pick up coil mod just decreases the air gap opening which some feel is like advancing the timing. The factory settings are way off and usually different in each pickup. Reducing the gap to about .0020-.0024 makes the bike start better and run better. It's an easy mod and well worth it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still don't understand it totally, even with the pictures...

Can you explain it step by step?

And when it is done, how does the engine run better?

·
4,508 Posts
I still don't understand it totally, even with the pictures...

Can you explain it step by step?

And when it is done, how does the engine run better?
Think of it as a Magneto Spark Producer....
Some factory gaps are found up to .0040" gap. Most are found .0025 - .0030".
Performing this Mod decreases the gap to .0020" is said to produce a more solid/stronger pulse, and advances Timing slightly....all is said to result in a better/stronger engine.

hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for answering so fast. This goes beyond my knowledge. I need a step by step tutorial of what to do. Hope someone can give me that.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
How about this one? :p

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550

If you look at the picture that has the pickup displayed in yellow and says something to the effect of "top hole has been modified, bottom one hasn't" you can see how the top hole has been elongated slightly using a Dremel and the right side of the pickup also has a small area notched out. This allows the pickup to be positioned closer to the point where it gets the voltage. By moving it closer, the spark gets there quicker and helps the engine start a little better and also run a bit better.

I haven't done this mod YET, but it is on my list.

Hope that helps.

·
4,508 Posts
Thanks for answering so fast. This goes beyond my knowledge. I need a step by step tutorial of what to do. Hope someone can give me that.
There is a thread (or 2) on this forum with details and pics.
Use "Search" Function (next to Quick Links) to locate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read all I can find about this mod. Although many forum users say it is easily done, for me it is not and I don't want to screw things up.

So when I modify both pickups, I can move them to the right. Is that what I have to do? What/where is the gap we are talking about? How do I measure? And what exactly do I have to do with the rotor?

I appriciate all the help I can get.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Does your bike have any starting problems?

If your bike is running well, I don't think there's any reason why you HAVE to do this mod.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problems, but I like the idea that my bike performs better with this mod. Am I right that 0.020" is 0.5 (a halve) millimeter? Those magnets almost touch each other!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I with Ceal on this one. It's a pretty straight forward modification. You need the tools...I don't even know the proper name for them...to measure the gap. They come with most all purpose tool sets I think. But if your bike cranks and runs fine, I say don't mess with it. If you have problems in the future, then look into the mod.

I'm a tweaker/modder at heart. I just love messing with stuff. But I've taken a new philosophy: It it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is broke, upgrade it. :smiley_th

1 - 13 of 13 Posts