Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change oil, and tried to losen up the nut on the bottom and side of the engine, close to the kickstand. I forgot that the actual drainplug is on the bottom in the middle.
But my manual shows this nut on the side as the drainplug, and if I recall, I read somewhere that it is possible to get the oil out in 2 places.

So am I (and my manual) correct that this nut on the bottom and on the right side of the engine behind the kickstand is also a drainplug, or is it for something else??
Well, eventually I couldn't losen it up, so I used the one in the middle, but I am wondering...

Thanks...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is a drain on the left side by the kickstand, there is a screen behind there. Good to check every once in a while to see what is going on in the motor. Be careful there is a spring and a washer in there. Needs to go back in the same way it came out.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
also watcher out for the rubber seal that is in the plug, i cut mine a while back. kawa wanted $10 for a new one, i said screw it and use rtv everytime i check it lol...

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Pekelo - the bolt in the middle under the engine is for the crankshaft tensioner. If you drain the engine oil from here, you also get the crankshaft oil as well. You'll need to put that back in before filling it with regular oil. The best way to do it is to use a piece of surgical tubing and a syringe. It takes about 15ml of Castrol 10W30. With the bike on the kickstand, add the oil through that middle hole, towards the direction the bike is leaning. That way it won't drip back out. Then put that plug in and fill the bike as usual. If you have changed the oil through the bottom, but haven't refilled the crankshaft tensioner oil, it'll ruin your stator. Your stator will go out in about 40K miles or less if you don't add the oil.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
That was a joke, by the way. Don't know what the bolt's there for. Maybe for shipping purposes. It's best to use the kickstand plug, it gets all the oil, and you can check your screen for shavings.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The Clymer's recommends to start the initial drain from the center plug as it drains quicker. Once the flow slows down, replace the plug, put her on the side stand and finish the drain from the side plug. Clean the screen as noted and replace.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
cegodsey said:
That was a joke, by the way. Don't know what the bolt's there for. Maybe for shipping purposes. It's best to use the kickstand plug, it gets all the oil, and you can check your screen for shavings.
Oh thank God... I thought that I might be up all night doing research and all... :BLAM:

Dude... That is just plain mean... :rockon:

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
cegodsey said:
*Note to self.. Give Cegodsey a good biff sometime during Sunday's ride..*

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Ouch. Sorry, I worked really hard on that photo in the gallery. The whole idea kinda bled into my thought processes as well.

·
Now what
400 Posts
For what it's worth, the screen behind the side plug keeps large particles out of the oil pump so it's important it's there and doesn't have any holes in it.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
A Big Thanks to SKY RIDER

After much intentional confusion . . . you straightened out the oil
drain procedure very well.

Let's keep this forum upbeat and positive.

Thanks again.:rockon:

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
norsseman said:
After much intentional confusion . . . you straightened out the oil
drain procedure very well.

Let's keep this forum upbeat and positive.

Thanks again.:rockon:
And with CORRECT information. Just a word of advice.. if someone does want to kid around in their post, end the post stating that it was a joke, do NOT wait until another post to clear up things.
Some people just might follow through on it or try to. I'm all for a good laugh but not at the expense of someone's bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.