Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to the purpose of that little bolt on the end of the front foot pegs. I am not talking about the 2 underneath that hold the rubber tread on the top of the peg.

The little bolt on the end of the foot peg, it is on a 45 degree angle facing out and downward. I can't seem to find any purpose for this bolt. :confused:

Any ideas?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
thats your peg scrape indicator bolt. Its the first point of contact when you really lean into a turn.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
thats your peg scrape indicator bolt. Its the first point of contact when you really lean into a turn.
Exactly, my Custom Sportster did not have them, and it was the rubber that first contacted the pavement, so I purchased some footpegs for the 48 which had the scrapers +/- 1" and that is what gets the wear now...
These grind down and get sharp though, and I have to file the ends down or be careful not to cut a lower leg on them walkin around the cycle...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that makes sense...although I have never even come close to scraping a peg on hard turns. I guess you really have to do some hard leaning to make contact with the road surface. I am pretty sure I don't need a bolt to tell me I made contact, but maybe it would make a really cool spark at night :)

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I guess that makes sense...although I have never even come close to scraping a peg on hard turns. I guess you really have to do some hard leaning to make contact with the road surface. I am pretty sure I don't need a bolt to tell me I made contact, but maybe it would make a really cool spark at night :)
It keeps the wear off your pegs. When it wears down you can replace them.

Not that I ever scrape the pegs either.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Both mine are about halfway worn down, and I am not an aggressive rider on the Vulcan. I wore the ones on the Ninja almost all the way down. The main reason for these "feelers" as I call them, is to let you know just where you are as far as lean angle goes, before you drag something more substantial, and lever the wheels right off the road. They should be replaced if they get ground down very far.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Exactley, first time I hit them shocked me. But after it was fun.
The Nomad is easy to drag your boards on.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts